Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Gallant
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting Devastation of Indines as part of the Argent Kickstarter campain and wonder what War has to offer that's different than it's sequel. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically more characters. Devastation came with 30 tournament-legal fighters while the original War came with 18. The new War will probably end with 24 characters, 6 of which will be new if the campaign keeps going the way it is with funding.

Honestly, you have enough with Devastation to last you a lifetime (30 unique fighters and a boatload of play modes) but, if you are in love with the BattleCON system like I am, you want all the fighters you can get your Cheeto Fingers on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
also i am assuming the arenas are different from the ones in devastation.

in general though you dont NEED anything after devastation, but if you like more options for your fighting games then that would be the reason to get war.

also it looks like war is upgrading the armory system from devastation if we reach that goal which we should. the armory isnt needed but its another feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering, will the new war, or the extended kit, be organized like devastation is regarding beginner, etc groups of the characters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New War's characters are grouped by difficulty/complexity in the print and play. I imagine something similar will be in the box.

Extended might or might not be set up like that. I really don't know. Devastation Extended was super ad-hoc, just a some tokens and card decks in a shipping envelope. War Extended has tournament-legal fighters available nowhere else, so I'm assuming it's more of a small-box expansion and should at least have a box, so it might be organized similarly? But it's not a standalone game, so it wouldn't really have to be designed to be accessible to new players.

And OP: If you get War, you get 18 new fighters, 10 new arenas, and a bunch more stuff with Extended but we're not sure what that will end up being, because it's defined mostly by stretch goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:

Honestly, you have enough with Devastation to last you a lifetime (30 unique fighters and a boatload of play modes)

This. No one needs both. There is enough variety in one to last a lifetime. I admit' though, that I have Devastation and am pledging for war, but with reservations.

On the plus side, I'm happy to see Brad get paid more for this great game. Second, it's a great game. Third, I'm trying to shrink my collection, and increasing replayability is good.

On the negative side, I don't think Devastation needs increased replayability, infinite plus infinite is still just infinite. I'm trying to shrink my collection, and while this isn't another game, it is another box. Or two. Or three.

Like I said, at the time of this writing, the plus side is winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the thing:

You don't need it.

But you WANT it.

You'll understand the moment you start actually playing the game with people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question...

If I pledge the $175 level and get both War and Devastation, can I still get the Devastation promos? Looks like they are only offering the War promo material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mandingoman wrote:
Question...

If I pledge the $175 level and get both War and Devastation, can I still get the Devastation promos? Looks like they are only offering the War promo material.
They are offering Devastation promos while supplies last. On the Kickstarter comments, Brad said
David B. Talton Jr. wrote:
Yes, We should have enough of the Dev promos for backers who get Dev. I think we're at 1500 copies of those promos in stock now. If we wouldn't have enough though, we would supply them in backer-order (so the first 1500 eligible backers who bought Dev would get them)
Since they're at 762 backers right now, you should be in good shape if you go ahead and sign up now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
dthurston wrote:

David B. Talton Jr. wrote:
Yes, We should have enough of the Dev promos for backers who get Dev. I think we're at 1500 copies of those promos in stock now. If we wouldn't have enough though, we would supply them in backer-order (so the first 1500 eligible backers who bought Dev would get them)

Since they're at 762 backers right now, you should be in good shape if you go ahead and sign up now.

This. You'll be fine to get the promos if you jump in on this KS, especially since only people backing for DoI or DoI Extended during this campaign will get the promos. Everyone who got everything from the last Kickstarter and are just pledging for all the War material won't be dipping into that 1500 unit supply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.