Popular Tags: [View All]
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got home from my son's high school graduation. I usually try to get out of going to such things, but he is my son, so I decided to support him in his success. Not having gone to one of these since I graduated high school there were a few things that happened in the crowd that I thought weren't really appropriate for a ceremony like this, but maybe I'm just clueless as to how these ceremonies function in real life. So here is a poll of things that happened that made me roll my eyes, be annoyed or shake my head. Let me know if you think they were appropriate or not.

Poll
Is this behavior appropriate for a high school graduation ceremony?
  Appropriate Inappropriate Really?
Arrive dressed in ratty t-shirt and sweats
Screaming at the top of your lungs whenever your kids name gets mentioned
Waiving enormous banners whenever your kids name gets mentioned
Blasting an air horn whenever your kids name gets mentioned
Yelling loudly, "You piece of shit pedophile" When someone is announced
Bringing ginormous balloons to give to your graduate after the ceremony
      91 answers
Poll created by GuidoVanHorn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Screaming at the top of your lungs whenever anything happens is almost always inappropriate, it's dickish in the extreme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Screaming at the top of your lungs whenever anything happens is almost always inappropriate, it's dickish in the extreme.

What if you are being attacked by a lovestruck Yeti? What then Mister Smarty Pants?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

What if you are being attacked by a lovestruck Yeti? What then Mister Smarty Pants?
Almost dose not mean always. There are circumstances WHERE Screaming at the top of your lungs IS APPROPRIATE, but they are generally not that common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
WEll, did he like your balloons or the air-horn thing you were doing? Did he cringe when someone insulted you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't even want to go to my high school graduation and didn't go to my college graduation ceremony. Ceremonies are all a waste of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
I didn't even want to go to my high school graduation and didn't go to my college graduation ceremony. Ceremonies are all a waste of time.

I have the same basic attitude, I have successfully avoided going to one of these since I graduated. I opted not to walk when I got my Bachelor's and will probably do the same when I finish my Master's.

However they did do one thing right and they kept the whole thing down to about an hour in length.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
WEll, did he like your balloons or the air-horn thing you were doing? Did he cringe when someone insulted you?

Is this question directed towards me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Yes. It was a way of asking if perhaps you're taking this way too seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stein
msg tools
whac3 wrote:
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
whac3 wrote:

When I 'graduated' from High School it was a fairly low key occasion where we were supposed to celebrate the achievements of the year and be pushed out into the big wide world (before being sharply corralled into back into academia for another 3 years).

In hindsight it doesn't mean that much placed next to many other 'rites of passage' (university graduation etc) but it meant a lot to us at the time- it was the end of 12/13 years of continuous schooling and for some of the people there it was the only academic 'ceremony' they were ever going to go to. They worked hard to get through the year and get the grades they did, and the team that organised the graduation put a lot of work into decorating the hall.

It would have been quite upsetting for a small group to whoop, shout and let off airhorns throughout, let alone yell insults. The dress codes don't mean a huge amount but it gave the occasion the feeling of being a 'proper' event and for people to bail on that wouldn't have been nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:

I agree. I didn't go to mine either... for different reasons though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

Sherriff's deputies waiting for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

Sherriff's deputies waiting for you?
Or he was being entertained at one of the states many law enforcement run holiday resorts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
whac3 wrote:

In my mind I'm not taking it that seriously...I was just wondering if the things I thought were inappropriate were thought to be inappropriate by others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
So was the person actually a pedophile?

I didn't recognize the kids name, and I haven't heard any stories...but the lady who yelled it was very visibly upset...so whatever the deal is it was a very real emotion for her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaffeineBot wrote:
whac3 wrote:
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
whac3 wrote:

When I 'graduated' from High School it was a fairly low key occasion where we were supposed to celebrate the achievements of the year and be pushed out into the big wide world (before being sharply corralled into back into academia for another 3 years).

In hindsight it doesn't mean that much placed next to many other 'rites of passage' (university graduation etc) but it meant a lot to us at the time- it was the end of 12/13 years of continuous schooling and for some of the people there it was the only academic 'ceremony' they were ever going to go to. They worked hard to get through the year and get the grades they did, and the team that organised the graduation put a lot of work into decorating the hall.

It would have been quite upsetting for a small group to whoop, shout and let off airhorns throughout, let alone yell insults. The dress codes don't mean a huge amount but it gave the occasion the feeling of being a 'proper' event and for people to bail on that wouldn't have been nice.

Barf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

I had a very memorable high school graduation. I went to see The Shining. Great flick.

No idea what my classmates got up to, but a friend picked up my diploma for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Does anyone else roll their eyes at the phrase "proper decorum"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought you were going to talk about how the kids acted.

Our high school graduates between 6 and 700 kids every year, the ceremony is held in an outdoor arena (DTE Music Theater, nee Pine Knob). Members of the audience often clap or cheer when their kid is announced, but no air horns. I haven't heard any accusations being yelled.

Somehow the kids developed a tradition of throwing inflated objects around during the ceremony and the faculty confiscating them. For my oldest's ceremony, this included a blowup doll or two. By the time, my second graduated it had become official policy to allow beach balls to be thrown around at "appropriate" times, but no shaped objects. It seemed to work fairly well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Gaming is a waste of time. Everything is a waste of time. There are things in life that make life worth living. They don't have to have utilitarian purpose.

Geesh, I have wonder about some of you people. It's a wonder that half of you even leave your house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
MWChapel wrote:
Gaming is a waste of time. Everything is a waste of time. There are things in life that make life worth living. They don't have to have utilitarian purpose.

Geesh, I have wonder about some of you people. It's a wonder that half of you even leave your house.

Dominoes deliver you know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I teach high school. All those things are inappropriate, yet I see them all every year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karadek wrote:
I teach high school. All those things are inappropriate, yet I see them all every year.

My daughter's ceremony is tonight and she gets to give a speech. Her original speech was totally gutted by the powers-that-be because it had some smack talk in it and a "soinsokilledit" reference. She had to revert to a boring typical speech instead. I'm sure all the antics from the crowd will be much worse than her sassy, irreverent fun speech. But, oh well. It's all about the paperwork anyway. Hand over the diploma and on to College.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

If I didn't have to buy groceries or go to work, I'd be able to do a pretty good job of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
I thought you were going to talk about how the kids acted.

Our high school graduates between 6 and 700 kids every year, the ceremony is held in an outdoor arena (DTE Music Theater, nee Pine Knob). Members of the audience often clap or cheer when their kid is announced, but no air horns. I haven't heard any accusations being yelled.

Somehow the kids developed a tradition of throwing inflated objects around during the ceremony and the faculty confiscating them. For my oldest's ceremony, this included a blowup doll or two. By the time, my second graduated it had become official policy to allow beach balls to be thrown around at "appropriate" times, but no shaped objects. It seemed to work fairly well.

For the most part the kids were pretty awesome. At the very very end a beach ball and a bunch of silly string came out while they were throwing their caps and stuff, but I figured that is pretty normal. And there were only a couple of goofballs who did stupid things after they were handed their diploma, and none of them were that stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.