Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing white star rising and have enjoyed it (although there are some small historical inaccuracies, but I can live with them). I have been a bit slow to get out desert heat as it seems the historical inaccuracies have been increased a lot. ( I do find these things bother me a bit when I have a good historical understanding of the period)

Anyway I have decided to break out DH and give it a go anyway, though I can't seem to find where degrading terrain is explained and I don't remember it being a part of White star rising. Could someone please point out where I can find this.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ellis
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Degrading terrain is a feature of the LnL system, but not the NaW system. You can fire through a combination of some types of terrain / wrecks, but these do not reduce the fire values in the same way that degrading terrain does in LnL.

Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok on the bottom of the Terrain ref chart it says "Degrading Terrain: Hammanda, Wreck, Orchards, Palms". So I was trying to find what the effects of "degrading terrain" were, but nothing was listed in the rules.

But it seems that if LOS is traced through 2 or more of these hexes then LOS is blocked (rules say that these types do this but it dosn't refer to them as degrading). I was confused as I thought there was more to it since all these terrain types were labeled degrading terrain but nothing in the rules referred to "degrading terrain"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ellis
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, you have it. Cannot trace through more than 2 hexes of those types of terrain. As I mentioned, the LnL system does have degrading terrain which reduces firepower which is traced through it.

B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bob48 wrote:
Yep, you have it. Cannot trace through more than 2 hexes of those types of terrain. As I mentioned, the LnL system does have degrading terrain which reduces firepower which is traced through it.

B

Yep, I play a lot of LnL as well so im use to the whole degrading terrain, thats why I was a little confused when NaW (desert heat anyway) also used the word degrading to identify certain terrain (but not mention of degrading terrain in the rule book)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Townsend
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah Mark, Desert Heat does have some historical inaccuracies but its fun for some light play under and hour or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jay Townsend wrote:
Yeah Mark, Desert Heat does have some historical inaccuracies but its fun for some light play under and hour or so.

Yea I have played a few scenarios now and they are ok. I just wish it was a bit closer to white star rising as that one is a little historical inaccurate but DH is a whole new level. Feels like to much was put into DH scenario and nations wise IMO would have been easier for them to get a little closer to history if DH focused on a certain period of the desert war then an expansion or 2 filled out the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
Resently got desert heat after loving eisenbach gap deluxe.
So bottom line the latter makes no REFRENCE to degrading terrain while and is not used while desert heat only makes REFRENCE to it on the terrain card.

I'm assuming there is no system for degrading terrain in these games.
Also the scale on these is platoon level rather than the squad level combat of the L & L heroes series games.

I'm currently playing desert and eisenbach with no degrading rules as they are not featured in either rule book.
Am I righ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry my bad.
Rule 7.3 line of sight determination (its right there).
Lol teach me not to read the rule book properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.