United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb

Pacific Rim - Across the Meditteranean. Next in series after Across the Pacific.

Nathan Kilgore, setting up his VCS Salerno. He drove from Los Angeles starting at 2am, got to the convention and at 8:30 am he was busy setting up the game, to be ready to play when I got there. I told him he should go take a nap, but he insisted he was ready to start playing. He did finally konk out and took a long nap in the afternoon after lunch. He's hard core.

VCS Salerno - after my commandos failed to take Salerno "on the run" early in the game, the Germans (Nathan) rushed in misc reinforcements and setup a strong line blocking my access to Salerno. Having Salerno as a operating port is very important to Allied supply levels. I didn't capture it till late in the game, when I was able to send that brigade near the top of the line over the hill and down the other side, smashing into, and destroying, the armored artillery unit. An "audacious" move, which surprised Nathan. I ended up winning the game, but I suspect Nathan made sure I won.

Another Avalanche game. This one is focused on the landing area, unlike Nathan's game, which includes two other related and connected battlefields. The designer, Bruce Howland, told me he did the map himself in Illustrator.

The new Civil war game. Said to be derived from VG's Civil War. Although it looked to me like it was derived from SPI's War Between the States. Great map, and the game play is said to be great too. This appears to be near finished.

I got some more pics to post, but my dog is pestering me to take her to the park. I'll post some more pics later if this post gets any interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cisco Serret
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb

Joseph Miranda (black shirt), despite his age, was very engaging with people and very excited about pretty much every game, and John Burtt. Here they seem to be looking at an early version of a Crete game.

A friend I knew from Anchorage Alaska (he's now in Washington), Sean King, avid wargamer, playing Battle for Normandy. I had never seen this game setup before, and there were 3 or 4 full games of this setup and going. The game looks very nice, and I like the distinct units, such as the tank dragging the flamethrower thing. That was cool. He had brought a bunch of games for the flea market, and last I saw him, he was coming out of the dealers room with a whole bunch of games in a teetering stack he had just bought. If you ever get a chance to play a game with him, you'll see he's the nicest guy you could ever meet.

La Bataille de la Moscowa. I had never seen this giant famous game setup before. Now I have. And its quite impressive. Looks snowy and chilly. The detail on the units, and the number of them, marching in columns all over the map and deploying for combat - just an amazing sight.

Matt Hinkle (white shirt) with my friend from Anchorage AK, Jerry Smith. Matt was explaining and running through BAR scenarios for anyone interested. Matt's energy levels must be off the charts, cause he never stopped. He also gave what I heard was a great presentation on the BAR system (I missed it, I was off drinking or doing something more important apparently). I had seen him earlier in a corner of the hallway mumbling something and waving his arms around. I thought "he must have forgotten his pills", but, he was actually rehearsing for his presentation later that night. Matt won an award for something from John Kranz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cisco Serret
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Tide West, a game on a rarely simulated topic, NATO vs WARSAW (I jest). This looks pretty good. I didn't see it being played though (doesn't mean it wasn't). Sorry for the blurriness. About 60% of my iphone pictures turned out like crap and weren't usable. For next Consimworld I'll get an actual good quality Nikon camera, on a tripod, and one of those white umbrellas thingies to diffuse the light. And a goofy hat to signify I'm a professional something. The ceiling is covered with strong spotlights that are aimed at various angles downward, causing alot of glare on anything with plexi on it:

Good 'ol Stalingrad Pocket. I'm not sure if the warning sign was meant to stop people from moving counters, or if it was a commentary on the military situation simulated.

My favorite OCS game, Tunisia, with OCS guru John Kisner. I had been introduced to the OCS series by Perry Andrus and Scott Johnstone. Perry couldn't make it to this con, but Scott was there, and he's a great guy to talk about all things "Operational Combat Series". Scott was actually playing the new battalion level version of OCS, BCS. Unfortunately, that picture came out blurry as hell. Thanks Apple!

A new Grand Tactical Series game "Trials of Endurance" - Crete. This seems to be 3(?) different battles of the struggle on Crete. I thought Adam Starkweather was doing this, but it turns out its another designer. Adam was not at this Consimworld con. But, I may be seeing him soon cause he's contemplating showing up in Austin TX soon to demo his Grand Tactical Series system (and visit his family that is in Austin).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Very good stuff - thanks for posting!

As for your flash issues, consider something like these:

http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/came...

Just a small sample, of course, only to illustrate that you might not require anything too bulky, like separate stands for 'brollies and flash. I've used a $10 Lumiquest Pocket Bouncer for years and have been happy with it; it's perhaps not the best at what it does but it folds flat and isn't a nuisance to pack around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fellow sitting with Joe Miranda is John Burtt, the editor of Paper Wars magazine and a long-time writer in the hobby. He showed me an article of his from a 1992 Fire and Movement magazine that he saw on a flea market table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cisco Serret
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks, I edited my post to include his name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cisco Serret
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb
moly19 wrote:
... you might not require anything too bulky, like separate stands for 'brollies and flash. I've used a $10 Lumiquest Pocket Bouncer for years and have been happy with it; it's perhaps not the best at what it does but it folds flat and isn't a nuisance to pack around.

Well the main problem I had was the ceiling's spot lights. I had my flash off on my camera. So I think I still would need a "brollie". At home I hold a big piece of cardboard over the map as my "diffuser" when I take pictures on a game under plexi. Hey it works. Not National Geographic quality, but it does stop the glare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cisco Serret
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just thought of something cool for conventions - google glass things, and have name badges with a e-tags on them, so as you look around, the names of people hover over their heads. With perhaps what game they are currently playing, and where they're from.

ok back to some more pics....

Shogun, with cool little Samurai guy. The guys were having a blast with this game later on.

Winter War, Finnish Trilogy. Looked quite impressive. The Karelian Isthmus was a traffic jam. No doubt due to the Mannerheim Line road bumps.

Legion Wargames had a major presence at the convention. Cool guys.

Dien Bien Phu from Legion Wargames. Looks excellent. They didn't have copies for sale at the con though, which was the ONE game I wanted to buy. BUT .... at the raffle, they gave away a brand new shrink wrap copy. The winner was a kid about 12. I ran into him later in the elevator. I asked him if he was going to play it. He said "I guess so... with my dad..". I asked him if he knew anything about it. He said "Nope!". I gave him a 20 second overview of the conflict. Last thing I said was "The French thought the Vietnamese were not good fighters. But they were wrong". The kid thought that was hilarious, and repeated "But They Were Wrong" all the way down the hallway a few times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cisco Serret
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb

Battalion Combat System. Thats Scott Johnstone in the brown shirt. OCS expert. I forgot the other guy's name.

La Bataille de Dresde, Clash of Arms, with a side of dressing. Apparently not finished, though it looked like it was. The giant white streak down the middle is due to the excellent *cough* lighting scheme in the ballroom. Its not a giant tear in the map.

Grant Takes Command. Seems this title is a consimworld "regular". And for good reason, its a rip roaring game. Well, except for Burnside.

Mare Nostrum, said to be the biggest wargame eva! And its got the biggest price eva! They had some "deals" listed on that standup sheet. I took a look at it, and gasped. I guess they were deals. But .... I think the number $1000 was on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Cisco Serret wrote:

Mare Nostrum, said to be the biggest wargame eva! And its got the biggest price eva! They had some "deals" listed on that standup sheet. I took a look at it, and gasped. I guess they were deals. But .... I think the number $1000 was on it.

That's for all four games in the series. It is a deal if you want 'em all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cisco Serret
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb

EFS Army Group South (or Kiev to Rostov). The Axis armies force the Dnieper. Kiev is in danger!

The Atlantic Wall remake. Some people said they liked Battle for Normandy better, some say Atlantic Wall looks better.

Legion Wargame's Picket Duty, a solo game about defending against kamikaze attacks.

The VCS Salerno table. Nathan had gotten die cut counters from Kerry Anderson, if I remember correctly, at the start of the con, but Nathan already had his home made counters sorted and ready to go, so he didn't use the die cut ones. Nathan's counters were very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic report and pics, Cisco, thank you! (nice to see EFS -- IMO, if you're going to play a complicated WW2 operational game, this is a great choice)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cisco Serret
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb

Dark Valley - this was probably the "star" game of the show. More copies of this being playing I think than any other game. At one point it looked like there were 7 games of it going on. A funny story about Ted Racier and Dark Valley - when he got to the con, a gamer (who I won't name) saw Ted who was holding a copy of Dark Valley, but didn't know Ted, and asked him "So, is that game any good or is it crap?". Ted replied "I think its pretty good." DOH!

Struggle for Europe and Asia - This was very impressive. A big game, with a ton of painted miniatures, and two very dedicated gamers who kept at it the whole con.

Invasion America - a flash from the past. I'm not sure who was playing this. If YOU were playing this, let us know how the game went.

Ed Wimble looking over his Dresde game, next to Dave Buchbinder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice pictures! No preview of Silent Victory: U.S. Submarines in the Pacific, 1941-45? soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Townsend
Italy
Roma
Lazio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed in this and Calendale's video of the Con that some maps were protected with transparent sheeting rather than plexiglass. Can anyone name or describe this material and comment on its effectiveness. Does it lift in a breeze? is it fastened with tape? does it not create wrinkles in the same way a paper map does?

Thanks for the pictures, it is great to see the monsters especially.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Agip wrote:
I noticed in this and Calendale's video of the Con that some maps were protected with transparent sheeting rather than plexiglass. Can anyone name or describe this material and comment on its effectiveness. Does it lift in a breeze? is it fastened with tape? does it not create wrinkles in the same way a paper map does?

At least one person I noticed was using a clear flexible desk blotter.
It's pricey ($30) for the size but rolls up nicely, and doesn't appear
as subject to scratching. That was the only thing that really caught my eye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cisco Serret wrote:
The Karelian Isthmus was a traffic jam. No doubt due to the Mannerheim Line road bumps.

I think that's the Finnish version of "traffic calming".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cisco Serret
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:

Well I tried to make sure I took a picture of *every* game being played. Not an easy thing to do, since games are constantly being taken down and new ones setup. But about 60% of the photos I took came out too blurry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cisco Serret
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb
Agip wrote:

Thanks for the pictures, it is great to see the monsters especially.

That sheeting stuff is stretchable, so what people do (two man job) is stretch it so its taut and flat, then tape it down securely. When done right, its almost as good as regular plexi sheets. I say "almost" cause a clumbsy elbow jambed down on it can stretch it a bit, causing a "hill". Easily fixable though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Townsend
Italy
Roma
Lazio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plastic Desk Blotter - interesting... thanks.
Is the stretchable sheeting the same thing? From what sort of supplier is it obtained? Foodwrap? Office equipment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cisco Serret
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb
some of these are blurry.

The War: Europe 1939-1945, Compass Games

Gotterdammerung, a Masahiro Yamazaki game.

Reluctant Enemies, the new member to the OCS empire.

Goeben 1914 - A Joseph Miranda design for S&T Magazine.

Hells Highway. Probably the most praised of the Victory Games line.

1914 Offensive a Outrance (GMT) - I believe that is Michael Resch, the designer.

Another game of Dark Valley. I believe that is Tim Wilcox (standing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that top photo in the item immediately above is The War: Europe 1939-1945 from Compass Games. I say that based upon the map itself and upon the location in the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Agip wrote:
Plastic Desk Blotter - interesting... thanks.
Is the stretchable sheeting the same thing? From what sort of supplier is it obtained? Foodwrap? Office equipment?

The sheeting is not the same - the blotter is a thick piece of soft plastic
stuff with some weight to it.

I think this is it with some stuff under it:

http://www.officemax.com/office-furniture/desk-accessories-o...

The only real benefit is transport for this. No clue on that sheeting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
VCS Salerno - after my commandos failed to take Salerno "on the run" early in the game, the Germans (Nathan) rushed in misc reinforcements

Cisco, having played the game in person, please tell me that the Commonwealth and German counters didn't look as close in color as they do in your photo. You mentioned Nathan had other counters, did you see what they looked like.

I just worry because Niko's made some tan/beige/khaki choices in the past that don't look good on my table.

Thanks for all this effort! It's photos like these that make me realize just how young a member of our hobby I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.