Blue Moon Legends» Forums » Rules

Subject: protected card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Monica Fridén-Rolstadaas
Norway
flag msg tools
Hi.
In the Hoax deck there are some cards that have the text "protected cards" (like Hank highflyer hawk "your character cards are ignored, except Flit character cards and active protected cards"), and I was just wondering what protected cards means/are? Does this include cards with a shield icon on them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mxrk
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look through the Aqua section of the rulebook, you'll see a helmet icon. That's the protect icon:

Quote:
Active cards with the protect icon cannot be affected by opposing effects. The cards cannot be ignored or discarded by the opponent, and their values cannot be reduced by the opponent.

Most of those cards are in the Aqua deck. The shield icon indicates a different effect, and does not count as protected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mxrk wrote:
If you look through the Aqua section of the rulebook, you'll see a helmet icon. That's the protect icon:

Quote:
Active cards with the protect icon cannot be affected by opposing effects. The cards cannot be ignored or discarded by the opponent, and their values cannot be reduced by the opponent.

Most of those cards are in the Aqua deck. The shield icon indicates a different effect, and does not count as protected.

The only non-Aqua card with the PROTECT[ED] (*)icon is in the Buka deck. (And it's there for one specific reason, described in my article on that deck.)

Incidentally the text conforming that PROTECTED works was not originally there on Vulca or Hoax cards (Cast Cataclysm if my memory serves) to avoid this question. But it was on cards in later decks, leading to questions. Now it's there consistently, and the questions are different. C'est la vie.

(*) In Blue Moon it was the PROTECTED icon, and such cards were described as PROTECTED on cards. In Blue Moon Legend it's the protect icon and such cards are described as PROTECTED on cards. Note that having the icon is not the only condition for the status.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Fridén-Rolstadaas
Norway
flag msg tools
Thank you so much for answering and also for answering so fast

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:

The only non-Aqua card with the PROTECT[ED] (*)icon is in the Buka deck. (And it's there for one specific reason, described in my article on that deck.)

Chris - is there any chance you could put together a quick-click list of all your terrific strategy and analysis articles for posting here? I'd love to (and I definitely NEED to) read them all again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
Dearlove wrote:

Chris - is there any chance you could put together a quick-click list of all your terrific strategy and analysis articles for posting here? I'd love to (and I definitely NEED to) read them all again.

Wrong person. I do rules, must be someone else you are thinking of. Apart from occasional throw away comments that rarely have much more insight than "high powers good - unless your opponent has the wrong mutant" (actually there are other possible reasons to play low of course) my only real such contribution is my three points (really about five points pretending to be three points) in the final section of the FAQ list. And those are - but are only meant to be - the real basic stuff, like sometimes it's a good idea to retreat even when you don't have to.

The main reason I don't write detailed strategy and analysis articles is that they probably wouldn't be very good. That Buka article (which also might not be very good, but has a unique perspective, since Reiner probably won't write one - Reiner is a three figure number of games on from that) is about how things came to be. Might also reveal the odd hint, but still at the "fire hot, tree pretty" level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
ousgg wrote:
Dearlove wrote:

Wrong person. I do rules, must be someone else you are thinking of. Apart from occasional throw away comments that rarely have much more insight than "high powers good - unless your opponent has the wrong mutant" (actually there are other possible reasons to play low of course) my only real such contribution is my three points (really about five points pretending to be three points) in the final section of the FAQ list. And those are - but are only meant to be - the real basic stuff, like sometimes it's a good idea to retreat even when you don't have to.

The main reason I don't write detailed strategy and analysis articles is that they probably wouldn't be very good. That Buka article (which also might not be very good, but has a unique perspective, since Reiner probably won't write one - Reiner is a three figure number of games on from that) is about how things came to be. Might also reveal the odd hint, but still at the "fire hot, tree pretty" level.

Tree pretty? Well, I've learned something.

I remember reading a bunch of excellent .txt strategy documents back in the days of 'old' Blue Moon. Now I can't for the life of me work out who wrote them and where they were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
still at the "fire hot, tree pretty" level.

Tree pretty? Well, I've learned something.

It was meant to be a quote. But the original was actually "fire bad, tree pretty".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.