Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luc Jacobs
Belgium
Lichtaart
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Pathfinder (love), Race for the Galaxy.
Played dominion (don't like), played Thunderstone, which I liked a lot.
But, I would like to get a deck builder, space theme, with drafting possibilities.
Saw Rahdo's reviews, Dicetower (incl. Top 10 deck builders), Drive Through ...
Eminent dom, definitely needs the "escalation" expansion, than it seems to be much better for me to play.
To bad none of them can be played solo ...

Would like to invest only in one of them ...

Any advice? Or shall I consider something totally different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I *love* Dominion. I also own Core Worlds and its expansion. I've played Core Worlds a handful of times but not yet the expansion. I have not played RftG.

Core Worlds has a little drafting at the start and is indeed a deck builder, but the deck building is a small part of this game. There is so much more going on in Core Worlds compared to Dominion.

I'm keeping both of them. Dominion is light and fast but has depth. Core Worlds is heavy and thoughtful and feels much more serious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not warm up to Dominion, but I love Core Worlds. And the expansion makes the game even better. (However, play a few games with just the base game, it is much easier to learn the expansion stuff that way.)

I have also researched Eminent Domain (and watched videos on it), but it seems to be more tilted towards role selection, akin to RftG, thus I have passed on getting it. Still, it would be nice to try it out sometimes.

A quick overview of Core Worlds is below.

Core Worlds: 2-5 players (~90min with 3).

Core Worlds is more than a deckbuilder. It combines the theme with the game mechanisms perfectly. You draft cards into your deck from a common pool, but you also have to use your limited amount of actions and growing amounts of energy (generated by your starting world and the worlds you conquer or using cards in the energy phase) to deploy troops into your warzone before they can attack and conquer the worlds that you come across. So, there is planning and preparation involved, which to me feels very thematic. But you also don't know which worlds and units come up each round (except in the last round), so you have to be flexible. You can save one card from one round to the next to mitigate luck.

You have 5 separate decks for the 10 rounds of the game, so there is a sense of progression, and generally you can afford the cards that become available unlike in some other deckbuilder games. The cards are mainly unique. If you play with 3 players, it takes a few games to see all cards.

You never have quite enough resources to do everything that you'd like, so you have hard choices to make for the whole game. The last worlds you reach are the Core Worlds that give the most bonus points.

You always have a different game, and minor mistakes do not immediately spiral you into defeat. There is no direct conflict between players, but due to the common pool you have to keep an eye on what the other players are likely to do, and be faster than them.

The expansion Galactic Orders adds more units, worlds, and tactic cards and hard decisions in the form of events, but also ways to work around your energy and action limitations and also helps you cycle through the cards in your deck faster. It makes a great game even better.

You can start playing the game without emphasizing the deckbuilding aspect, and start to search for synergies and trim your deck more when you learn the game.

A second expansion Revolution is in the works, it will be interesting to see what it brings.

(Edit: the starting decks in Core Worlds have one unique card each: the hero of the world. You can also perform a 0-deck draft before the actual game starts. In this you select 2 cards from the 2x#players+2 cards available to replace one starfighter and one infantry from your deck.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both EmDo and CW are great games and are both fun to play. It's too bad you can't have both. That being said, I'm going to suggest CW. The way the theme is paired to the mechanics makes it more enjoyable. I believe EmDo also has an expansion planned, but I cant wait for CW, EmDo on the other hand, it gets here when it gets here. Pretty soon, a kickstarter will be announced to bring CW to a digital platform which will surely bring more exposure/players to the game, so there's that also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc Jacobs
Belgium
Lichtaart
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your interesting views.

And than you have Galactic strike force, another one to have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both i would say Core worlds is a heavyer game as Eminent Domain.

But i couldn't say pick this one over the other cause they both are good games in what they do.

Eminent Domain is a pure deckbuilder (while choosing role) as core World is more deck management.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bishop
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eminent Domain is a pretty good game, but I like Core Worlds better. The progression through the different decks of available units and worlds keeps the game progressing and creates a sense of story and narrative. EmDo doesn't have that. It has good mechanisms, but they don't fully support the theme.

I recently advocated for Core Worlds over EmDo and Race for the Galaxy on the Dice Tower Showdown podcast. I wasn't as persuasive as I had hoped, but if you'd like to hear more discussion, check it out: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/162440/dice-tower-showdown It's episode 15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
Have both, and both really open up when you play with the expansion - they both had the expansion already planned when the base game, so it is an incremental development, not an add-on.

Core worlds can be a brain burner, with action or energy limitations requiring good planning. Eminent Domain is lighter, in a sense.

Core Worlds reminds me of Agricola in the strategy and depth that comes from limitation, while having very varied plays every time. Eminent Domain reminds me of Race for the Galaxy, a lighter, quicker game that while you can certainly always do something, the depth of strategy becomes more apparent the more you play it.

Only Core Worlds really has drafting to your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently "had" to make this choice and went with Eminent Domain + Escalation.

I find both Core Worlds & Race for the Galaxy quite unappealing. gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a lighter game, go for emminent domain. For a heavier game go for Core Worlds. It really depends on how much of a brain burner you like. I personally prefer Core Worlds + Expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lansing
United States
flag msg tools
I own both, along with their respective expansions. Both base games are good, but they are also both greatly enhanced by the expansion. Definitely get the expansion if you get either one.

If I had to choose, I would go with Core Worlds. I enjoy the mechanic a lot more, and it feels much more customizable than Eminent Domain. However, in my experience, Core Worlds is slightly harder to teach/master, and on average takes longer to play. My wife and I can play Core Worlds in about an hour, but with five people (with ~2 being noobs), the game took us about 3 hours.

I would also say that the expansion adds "more" to ED, in that before the expansion, I felt there was only one real way to win. Also, Core worlds will have a second expansion later this year, so there is that to add in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on what you really are looking for.

Emminent Domain is lite on theme and heavy on mechanics. It is almost an abstract card game in truth.

Core Worlds is heavy on theme and somewhat typical in mechanics. It has a nice narrative feel, but it is also a game that plays long. Probably the longest of any deckbuilder in my collection.

When you say Space themed deckbuilding / card drafting, here are the games I think of:

Star Realms (Ascension with gorgeous art set in space)
Among the Stars (sci-fi card drafting/tile laying game)
Hull Breach (intense pvp star ship battles ala MTG)

Core Worlds is also worthy of consideration, but check out these other gems too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.