Subject: A gaijin in Tokyo: Tokyo Regionals 2nd place rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Saturday was Tokyo's regional. Since the dates matched with a gaming fair in Tokyo I took my decks with me hoping to find more opponents (very few where I live). As you can imagine, there is a wall of text incoming. I suggest you at least read my NbN deck and the last last game. It was epic!!

Now for the details: my runner deck was a totally non-original Andromeda deck (Anarch's fixed rig+Datasucker+Desperado). The deck was highly inspired by Circadia's Same old Andromeda with minor tweaks. My NbN deck was something that at least I have never seen: it is essentially a Fast Advance (3xSanSan's + 3xAstroscripts are scary), but it has several tricks to surprise the runner. You can see the full listing and an explanation in this link (or check below).

A bit of numbers now: we were 15 players or so in total (half of us foreigners). Even one of them joked on the fact that we should not all keep the best prizes (spoiler alert, I was the only gaijin in the Top 4, only 2 in the top 8).

As for the meta...I recall seeing a lot of NbNs, a few HB, and I think only 1 Weyland and 2 Jintekis. From the runner side there was less variety. I think there was only 1 Noise, 1 Chaos Theory, and the rest I faced were Criminals (mostly Andromedas, 1 Ken). I also saw a couple of Gabes, but never faced them.

Now onto the games.

First game: HB+Noise. Both games were fast. He was agenda flooded as corp, and I managed to keep his Noise poor (I taged him with a Breaking News that he did not want to check and destroyed his Liberated Accounts, made him pay full price for a Morning Star just to break through a Wraparound,...). and I astrotrained him to defeat.

Second game: I lost both games terribly. First against a perfectly played Tenma that pressured all of my servers. As Corp it was a fast advance NbN:BN. I started with quick pressure and quickly built my rig. But at some point I ate an Archer. From there on I could not recover and he quickly finished the game.

Third game was a lot of fun. He had the Jinteki-Psi identity. I slowly built my rig while he scored 4 points (+2 I gave from a Plan B). As soon as I realised he had no traps I legworked him, saw his hand and proceeded to R&D lock him. He had no way to escape the lock (a ton of money from Andie), so there was nothing he could do. My NbN worked perfectly (he flatlined IIRC)

Fourth game was against Chaos Theory + HB Next Design. I taxed the hell out of Chaos, but her The Source and Magnum Opus made it difficult. I won, but it was a close call (he checked an RSVP'ed NAPD agenda). HB was way easiear: I Inside Jobbed a priority requisition, and then found 3 consecutive agendas from R&D. The second match lasted less than 10 minutes.

A small break and we started the Top 8, all of us with nice playmats. First play was another easy victory from my NbN deck. Second one I lost with Andromeda, but I don't even recall the game. Third classifying round was against another HB Next Design. For some motivation I borrowed the Andromeda plastic id...and it worked perfectly! The game dragged for a while, but it was due to my bad luck in my accesses.

I got into the top 4 and here is where the fun begins. One player actually had won all of his matches, so the other 3 contestants (me included) had to make a mini-league. I would need to win beat the other 2 players, and then beat the unbeaten contestant twice so to win the tournament.

From the title of the topic you can guess what happened. We will soon upload the games to youtube, but let me explain them in detail because they were epic:

First I played with Andromeda against my second opponent (the fast advance NbN deck that beat me badly). This time I built my rig fast and aimed for R&D lock. My opponent purged viruses several times (hinting me that he was aiming for an Archer), but I learned my lesson and managed to avoid mistakes (which is a feat on itself after 5+ hours of playing). I yelled when a legwork gave me the missing points to win!

Then I played with Corp against the second contestant. First turn I play 2 sweeps week+protect hand. Yay! Great Start. Andromeda builds up her nice set (desperado+security testing+datasucker+maker's eye at R&D for 2 points). Next I place an unprotected NAPD+ice R&D and Archives. He steals the NAPD (getting broke), runs to archives for money and I rezz a TMI. Boom! A 5 strength barrier prevented his 3 credits+ datasucker for a run action. Third turn I midseason him with 13 tags. I had 2 psychographics, so I only needed a beale to win the game.

I drew and discarded many cards with Jackson, scored a Breaking news, and an Astroscript (with a Psychographics). Runner got a couple more agenda points. Finally I get a Beale, install and...I play a Midseasons? Wtf? By accident I discarded a Psychographics instead of a Midseasons! Well, I score it with the SanSan token placing me at 5 points. I place a Sansan that he could not break (RSVP and no Yog counters), and fast advanced another Beale.

Now off to the final. As a side note, the runner of the tournament had had 1.5 free hours while we were doing our mini league to find the other finalist. Can you guess what he was doing meanwhile? I was sooo tired that I would have used that time to have dinner and/or take a break. But no, he used it to play even more Netrunner! That is stamina!!

First game I played as Corp. He quickly built up a rig, but I tagged him (Breaking News+SanSan) to get rid of his Katie Jones. He recovers, plays security testing, and I retag so as to destroy testing as well. Then my deck shined in here. He had many things to do (get economy, build data sucker counters, complete his rig) and I simply did not let him do so. Each turn I would install something and get some money. He was forced to run...just to find a SanSan. Get money and run again to trash. Then I installed another card, and so on. In the process he took 3 brain damage, so he was forced to draw each turn in fear of the Snares he knew I had. Both of us were really stretched, but I placed what he thought was my last SanSan... he spent the first 3 clicks getting the money he needed, but ended up hitting a Snare that flatlined him.

Final match as Runner. I play my Andromeda, he plays a glacier HB deck. I got my rig quickly, but he got a ton of money and managed to protect all 3 main servers. With Katie and Security testing I had a lot of economy, but it would cost me 5 credits to get an archives datasucker (just to get 3 back from Desperado+Security testing)...and I needed at least 2 to break through his Viktor 2.0s. On top of that he had a Caprice in HQ. Things were looking VERY grim to me.

Then I got an epiphany: I test run'ed a second data sucker, run archives for 2 counters, then run to his hand, play the psi game...and win! (I was certain that he would pay 2 credits) Yes!! Out with Caprice, I get an agenda, and I Emergency Shutdown his ugly Heimdall. This turn was epic!! Now we were both at match point with 5 agenda points each.

I was sure he had agendas in hand. I had a Same Old thing in the table and a Legwork in the discard, so I just needed to build up enough to go through. Just the turn before I do that, he places an upgrade on HQ (Nisei?), another card on a protected remote server, and an unprotected card. He had a lot of money, so it was clear that it was my last turn.

On retrospective, it should have clear what each card was: unprotected Jackson to make me lose a click+SanSan in protected server to drain my economy. The optimal move was: run R&D (I had an R&D interface), run to his Jackson for money (with security testing). If he pops Jackson I could have run again to R&D. Otherwise, I would have gotten enough money to trash his SanSan....but I was so tired that I did not think of this. Instead I first ran to his Jackson, senselessly spending a click. Then I got my money from Katey, and got into the defended server twice. The first time I trashed his Ash, and when I got there the second time I only had 4 credits left! In any case, it would have not mattered because he drew a Biotic Labour as well.

In any case, the win was well deserved by my opponent. The whole tournament was a lot of fun. Thanks to Kashiwagi Game center for organizing it. I look forward to the national!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
I suggest you at least read my NbN deck

Would love to - but no decklists?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain_Frisk wrote:
Would love to - but no decklists?

Sorry. I wanted to post both the decklist and this thread so that they would link to each other. But I did not count on the fact that session reports are be moderated. It should be fixed now.

I also add the list below for simplicity

Asahi Shinbun: Tokyo Regionals second place

NBN: Making News (Core Set)

Agenda (11)
3x AstroScript Pilot Program (Core Set)
2x Breaking News (Core Set)
3x NAPD Contract (Double Time)
3x Project Beale (Future Proof)

Asset (4)
2x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves)
2x Snare! (Core Set) ••••

Upgrade (3)
3x SanSan City Grid (Core Set)

Operation (14)
2x Fast Track (Honor and Profit)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
2x Midseason Replacements (Future Proof)
2x Psychographics (Core Set)
2x Subliminal Messaging (Fear and Loathing)
3x Sweeps Week (True Colors)

Barrier (3)
3x Wraparound (Fear and Loathing)

Code Gate (5)
3x Quandary (Double Time)
2x RSVP (True Colors)

Sentry (9)
2x Caduceus (What Lies Ahead) ••••
2x Data Raven (Core Set)
2x Guard (Honor and Profit)
2x Ichi 1.0 (Core Set) ••••
1x Shinobi (Double Time) •••

15 influence spent (max 15)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Honor and Profit

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erinan
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey "M", I was your first opponent, the one who mixed up his agendas :P Glad to see that I lost my first 2 games against the 2nd "best" player of the tournament in the end! ;) Sorry if I was maybe a bit salty after our first games but I wasn't expecting to be steamrolled like this! Your knowledge of the game and your decks were a bit demoralising to a "newbie" like me but you beat me fair and square!

I'm glad you made it this far, you were damn good!

Sorry that I didn't stick around after losing my final game but I was really tired of playing. It's crazy just how draining it is when you encounter different decks with hardly any time for breaks...

Glad I went from 1-3 to 4-4 and managed to crawl my way back to the 6th place! Maybe I could have fared slightly better with a Criminal deck but I don't like playing the same thing as everyone else :/ I should also probably buy the 2nd cycle cards and H&P.

I nearly made it to the top 4 when I was at 5-5 against an NBN Fast Advance deck, made a final run on his hand and found a 1 point agenda... Doh... But I was kind of relieved to be out of the tournament as well, I needed food and some relaxing time ;)

My personal favourite play of the tournament - stealing all the Astroscripts as my first 3 agendas vs an NBN FA and finishing with 10 to 0 agenda points as I had a Nerve Agent with 4 or 5 counters on it. Felt good!

One Runner was at some point so desperate to find agendas that he took 3 brain damage from a Janus and went through 2 other ICE only to find an Ash that he couldn't afford to trash :) (all calculated on my side, I love playing a taxing deck)

And I don't ever want to see an NBN Fast Advance deck in my life T_T
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed it was a lot of fun meeting you "J"

Tournaments have lots of good things but on the bad side, we all focus so much on the prize that sometimes we forget it is a game. During the tournament an opponent made a big error (installed a net shield thinking it can prevent infinite amounts of net damage provided you have money). For a couple of seconds I did not let him undo the move...I felt really well when I let him undo everything and start his turn over.

Apologies if you felt steamrolled. In my defense I will say that you spoke very highly of yourself, so I played to the best of my ability. In any case, I look forward to seeing you next Wednesday!

P.s: I am certainly a bit fed up with Fast Advance. Since we are far from any competition I will make fun and original decks. I promise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erinan
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
In my defense I will say that you spoke very highly of yourself

Did I? That would be very unlike me :O I use sarcasm A LOT though so that could be it ^^

I didn't have much faith in my Runner deck at all (too slow and not very efficient) and I was only hoping to break even in terms of wins/losses if possible (which I did, phew).

Quote:
we all focus so much on the prize that sometimes we forget it is a game

Like when you forgot to take 1 credit from Desperado, which would have allowed you to out-trace an Ash or pay the 4 credits of a Red Herrings, and score an agenda? I felt bad for you but we both agreed that we couldn't teally rollback that one after I had scored that agenda I knew you'd win though so it was OK but I could tell you were (understandably) upset! Mistakes are just so damn easy to make in this game...

Thanks for the games and for your advice, take care and see you in Tokyo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cactus man

Tokyo
msg tools
mbmb
Thank you for coming all the way from Sendai.
I was your 2nd opponent, and 4th place match oppent.

I used Tenma and NBN Fast Advance.

I was won to you in qualifying, but you have won in the finals.
In qualifying I was 1st with 14point, I envy you!
You were very strong.

By the way, I want you to listen to people who are looking at here.
Every Friday, we are playing from around 19:30 in the Game Space Kashiwagi.
If you come to play in Tokyo or you live near, Let's play together!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:

2x Snare! (Core Set) ••••

1x Shinobi (Double Time) •••

After noticing that many people would start playing with 1-2 cards in hand vs. sweeps week - I have recently considered putting snare into my NBN.

Did you get your mileage out of them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Epperson

Tennessee
msg tools
Where do you guys play in Tokyo? Do you play in Saitama? I'm trying to get my brother to play but he works in Tokyo proper and lives in Saitama.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Windrim
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm. Like the deck, love the reports, only question: in the second-last game you mention rezzing TMI; there aren't any in your list. Is this an earlier version? Your deck looks pretty wealthy relative to trace, so if you run Caduceus I'd totally run TMI too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erinan
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sonatinas wrote:
Where do you guys play in Tokyo?

Right now, in Shibuya, you'll find all the information here - http://www.meetup.com/Netrunner-Tokyo/

We're four regulars and we usually play on Thursdays and once a month on Saturdays. We sometimes have up to 5 or 6 players and we could definitely use more people!

You can also go play with the Japanese group (mentioned above) on Fridays if you speak Japanese, they're all nice guys (some of them are scarily good though!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Cactus_man It was a lot of fun for me too. Let's meet again soon!

@Captain_Frisk Yes yes and yes! The main thing is that the runner is forced to run against NbN. I flatlined the tournament winner with the snares (and a couple of other times with snares/shinobis).

I had planned them just for some R&D lock protection but they ended up working perfectly when installed. Much better than in Jinteki decks. I am a bit burned out with NbN but my next deck will have edge of the worlds and even nastier traps

@Sonatinas There is a meeting in Shibuya on Thursdays and one on Fridays in Ookubo. Ask Erinan or Cactus_man for details on each place, respectively.

@Finalultros Good catch! I may have forgotten to update the final changes I did hours before the tournament....or maybe I did it to see if people were actually reading my report

In any case, the actual deck had +1 Jackson, +1 Caduceus, +1 TMI, -1 Wraparound, -1 Guard, -1 Ichi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.