Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First and foremost....

If a game is in BGG's "Abstract Strategy" (edit spelling) category, then it is now classified as an abstract game.

My opinion...

I don't think anyone planned for how many games would eventually get loaded into BGG. Now with 70,000+ games it is high near impossible to restructure the classification, because most of the games would not be classified if you added a new category.

I think Abstract/Themed should have been a mutually exclusive choice for classifying the game.

Themed games obviously have the follow up question is "What is the theme"? Here is a large laundry list from which to chose.
-- "Other" should be offered as an option so as not to shoe horn in some game game that doesn't anywhere else. Data mine "Other" occasional to determine what new theme need adding.
-- Multiple choice allowed.

Abstract games would have the follow up question "is there a light theme (yes/no)? If yes allow choices as for a "Themed" game. Essentially this means that "No theme" is one of the choices for an abstract game that overrides all others. Any other choice(s) is a "light theme."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AbStrateGyk
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
First and foremost....

If a game is in BGG's "Abstract Staregy" category, then it is now classified as an abstract game.

You misspelled "Strategy" btw.

Anyway, I thought the classification of abstract games made sense with the use of Jeffrey Henning's abstract games venn diagram.

http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Abstract_Games

There was also an alternative board game taxonomy, albeit much better than the existing BGG classification, that was proposed by Selwyth nearly 4 years ago with an active thread that went on for 3 years but nothing came out of it, unfortunately.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/581158/an-alternative-classi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
venn diagram

I'd certainly agree with Jeffrey Henning's abstract games venn diagram. Perfect Information, Luck, and Theme are all different concepts. The problem is defining each of the terms within the context of a boardgame.

For instance it makes perfect sense to assume that in a board game all the players know all the rules. If we taking about speculation markets on the price of oil, then no,, the players certainly won't know all the "rules" which cause the price to fluctuate.

BGG classification taxonomy

Where do I start?

I'll read Selwyth's thread with great curiosity. Thanks for the pointer. I don't remember the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.