Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Van Laningham
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook:
Rules cards are provided, as the rules are very simple and don't need much explaining. Just the cover art, logo, and basic text is all is really needed here, especially with the space constraints. It is nice to see just a rules card like this and not some paper insert with lots of needless art and spacing to fit what otherwise is simple rules. The rules themselves are as easy to understand as they are to learn.

Box art:
Not just much to say here, just some pancakes with butter and syrup on them with the game name and some game related text. I actually think it would be more interesting to leave that text out, and just have the pancake image with the game's name. It would at least make me turn the box around to look a little more.

Gameplay:
Like the rules, very simple, which is fine for a game like this. A six sided die is rolled to determine what plate you can play one of your three cards on (pancakes, butter, or syrup). If a pancake is played, you can play another pancake, then refill your hand to three. Since the dice determines where you place, this game is very luck based. That being said there can be some strategy involved in what you think you can get away with playing and hoping that you will get to place there again to score a pile with syrup or at least multiply the total with butter. Holding certain cards for lucky rolls can fit under strategy slightly as well. Since a roll of six lets you place on any plate you want our of the five, you at least have a one in 3 chance of getting a plate you want, which increases the more players play on other plates. This is assuming of course, that players have been playing pancakes and don't just have a hand of butter or syrup. While luck based, this does not necessarily make it a bad game, though bad hands coupled with this does not help much. 2.5/5

Target audience:
Most anyone could get into this game, unless one has an unnatural hate of pancakes or something. It is easy to learn and quick to play, so fans of filler games could like this as well.

Replayability:
The deck of cards is decently sized and the random luck factor is in full effect here, so the game will be slightly different every time it is played, but not by much. Since it is a filler game though, this makes it replayable in that sense.

Fun:
If you like luck based games, slight strategy, and trying to build and eat a delicious stack of pancakes, this game may be for you.

Personal opinion:
While the gameplay may not be the best in the world, I had a lot of fun with this game. The fact that it is quick and simple for anyone to pick up is very nice. I was able to get a group of new players together and play many games in a short amount of time. There was a lot more decision making than I would have though, assuming you have a diverse enough hand. I don't believe there is an inherent option to not play a card, which would be interesting if it existed, since there are a lot of time where you really don't want to play anything. I suppose this could create situations where nothing is played for a long time ,so maybe this rule not being in is for the best. Overall, a nice little game that I would definitely play again. 4/5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.