Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The shadow hordes would try to ford the Anduin, and get beaten back. We'd then rally to remove whatever minor disorder they'd caused. At Cair Andros, the stronghold provided welcome protection. At Osgiliath, where the fighting was fiercest, Gandalf the White led the defense and kept the Nazgul at bay.

And so it went, Gondor getting no weaker, with Sauron's frustration mounting. Finally he hatched a plan with The Nazgul and His Prey. That card can target "Champion Characters". He was confident that included Gandalf. I was pretty sure it didn't, but frankly saw no way for the game to be non-degenerate if we didn't force Gandalf to fall.

So I'm right, aren't I?

Anyway, he also trotted out This is my Hour, forcing Gondor to play a rally token on the first round, which I misinterpreted to mean every round. Osgiliath melted like butter on a hot skillet, and the Witch King is now whopping it up inside the Pellanor...
arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, "The Nazgûl and His Prey" canot be used against the Companions. It targets Leaders or Captain Characters (those are the Gondor and Rohan Captains: Imrahil, Faramir, Théoden and Éomer).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Long
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Yeah, that river can be awfully nasty to get across, can't it? If there's time for Gandalf to get there, the Shadow can easily be stalled for 3 or 4 turns, at least...

I have some solutions (that DON'T involve cheating ; >, but they still need some perfecting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yeah, I saw your session report. Yowzas! That's some mighty-smitey you're laying down on Osgiliath.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Long
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Well, you do what it takes, right?

The problem I had after that is for some reason Cair Andros was still ridiculously difficult. I thought it would be easy once I could surround it and combined attack. Not so, at least in the last game.

I'm trying to determine whether a 2nd turn of Position 3 is necessary to sack Cair Andros, or whether it should be the first target altogether. Osgiliath should definitely fall easily to a combined attack from an army that has already crossed the river...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.