Citan Zero
msg tools
Two quick questions:

1. If you fight without weapons and use your strength die to do so, can you add your melee modifier to the roll?

2. If you add a die to a check using a blessing, do you also get to add the modifier bonus again to that extra die? (Let's say I rolled ranged die (dex+2), and then play blessing to add die. Do I get the dex die, or the ranged?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
1) No. I don't know why you'd choose strength if your character has the melee skill, though. Every character with the melee skill uses their strength die for their melee checks, which means that those checks are also strength checks, so I see no reason not to choose melee and get your melee bonus.

2) No. When you are instructed to "add a die", you add the base die for the check with no modifiers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CitanZero wrote:
1. If you fight without weapons and use your strength die to do so, can you add your melee modifier to the roll?

Not exactly. But you can choose to just use your Melee skill instead of your Strength skill.

Rulebook v3 p11 wrote:
Weapons and many other cards that can be used during combat generally tell you what skill to use when you attempt a combat check; if you don’t play such a card, use your Strength or Melee skill.

So if you were Valeros and had no weapon, you could either use Strength (d10) or Melee (d10 +3). In other words, if you have Melee, choose Melee.

CitanZero wrote:
2. If you add a die to a check using a blessing, do you also get to add the modifier bonus again to that extra die? (Let's say I rolled ranged die (dex+2), and then play blessing to add die. Do I get the dex die, or the ranged?)

No. Just the die. So you'd just get the dex die again. Here is an explanation of why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Citan Zero
msg tools
Thanks that explains it. So a blessing on a combat check where I used melee that added another die would really only add a strength die, not another melee die. Got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CitanZero wrote:
Thanks that explains it. So a blessing on a combat check where I used melee that added another die would really only add a strength die, not another melee die. Got it.

Not quite. Paizo could introduce a character in the future which has Melee based on Dexterity (for example) - in this case, a blessing played on a melee combat check would add your dexterity die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yeah. Basically, it works like this:

Your "strength die" is the base die plus any feat bonus. Your "melee die" is your base strength die (because all characters with the melee skill use their strength die for melee checks. As the above poster said, that may not be the case in the future) plus feat bonus plus melee skill bonus. So your "melee die" = base die + feat bonus + melee bonus. If you don't have the melee skill, you can make melee checks with a base die of d4, just as with any skill not listed on your card. You would NOT use your strength die as a base die for melee checks if you don't have the melee skill, or with a character whose melee skill is not associated with strength, should one ever appear.

When you are told to "add a die", it means just the base die for the check with no modifiers. So if Valeros, for instance, plays a blessing on a melee check, he would add a d10 with no modifiers. If you were told to "add your strength die" then you WOULD add feat bonuses, unless it said "add your unmodified strength die".

A "skill die" is always a base die + feat bonus (+ skill bonus, in the case of specialty skills); "a die" is always just the base die for the skill being used for the check with no bonuses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Wagoner
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about spellcasters like Ezren? He's been caught in a situation with no attack spells in his hand - what's a Mage to do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If he has no card to play, he has to use his Strength. Ezren does have a weapon card in his deck, and you can give him a second. He can also card some items like Wand of Force Missle, or Wand of Scorching Ray. But lacking all those, if he needs to make a combat check with no "For you combat check..." card, he'll have to use his Strength.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Wagoner
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah lately old Ezren been getting the stuffing
beaten out of him.

Last night (when this situation came up) he had just come up against a
Bugbear -big one too... He threw a Force Bolt 1D12 +2 + 2D4..so he should
have had a shot.....nope rolled ALL 1s...across the board...

Cleaned his hand right out!

The refill was totally useless, no combat spells and no weapons.

And there were two cards left in his deck. He was treading lightly for the rest of the adventure.

First time we did not complete the scenario. surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
strgzr wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah lately old Ezren been getting the stuffing
beaten out of him.

Last night (when this situation came up) he had just come up against a
Bugbear -big one too... He threw a Force Bolt 1D12 +2 + 2D4..so he should
have had a shot.....nope rolled ALL 1s...across the board...

Cleaned his hand right out!

The refill was totally useless, no combat spells and no weapons.

And there were two cards left in his deck. He was treading lightly for the rest of the adventure.

First time we did not complete the scenario. surprise

Does he have a any skill feats in intelligence? That would affect his arcane checks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Wagoner
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, this was his second scenario. He has since gotten a skill point
and that was put into Intelligence.

Sometimes you get the (bug)bear and sometimes the (bug)bear gets you...

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.