Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I lucked out and happened upon what looks to be a new copy of the 1999 Avalon Hill version of Acquire from a local thrift store. The box has virtually no wear on it, and it's in shrink wrap, but I'm suspicious that it might not be the original factory shrink, as it is a bit more "loose" than I would expect. Also, the orientation of the box top and box bottom are reversed, which usually doesn't happen in the factory.

I've already got a perfectly serviceable copy of another edition of Acquire, and am thinking I'll probably sell this one, but am wondering if I should open the shrink to confirm the status of the contents, or sell it as-is with a description of the box wear, and that it was shrink wrapped when it came into my possession?

I don't want to mis-represent the item, but I don't want to open it and lower the value of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
orientation of the box top and box bottom are reversed, which usually doesn't happen in the factory.

I've bought several games from my flgs with games like this. It is unusual but I think it may happen more than you would think - it's probably something many folks may not report or even notice.

If the shrinkwrap isn't torn or gives off a reshrink aspect, I would sell it as new but disclaim about the box orientation and your thoughts (basically what you posted here)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally I would agree, but I don't think whether it is shrink wrapped or not will impact the sale much for this item given its high demand. I would probably open it and verify the contents. Most people would probably prefer you double check given your concerns vs having the shrink wrap and potentially missing pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Why not list it for sale as new in shrink wrap. In your description explain the situation (leave out the thrift store part) and offer that you are willing to open it or not before shipping to verify the contents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I would disagree - shrinkwrap adds significant value even for highly in demand items. There's a big $ difference between new in shrinkwrap and new in box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
You must verify the contents in this case. Selling it as in-shrink would put you at risk of negative consequences that may cost you more in terms of feedback than a relative loss of some percentage of sale price.

Selling is never an isolated event.

But this has huge demand, so an as new sale won't lose much value. Besides, if you were doubting the authenticity of the shrink, your buyer will moreso.

BUT, you should keep this version. The only comparable one is the Schmidt Spiele version in terms of production quality. You have my thrift grail. But it is even better on the table. Open it and you will understand...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt gonneau
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Late to the party here, but I'd just like to add that box tops and bottoms are very often in reverse direction in my experience - something that's always puzzled me - I'm always having to re-align them.

I find this is especially true with wargames. And since Avalon Hill was primarily a wargame publisher, perhaps it's natural that they packed Acquire that way.

I'd bet the type of shrink wrap and how it was applied is a better clue to whether it's original or not, but I'm no authority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know of more than one retailer who re-shrink games after they count the pieces. Is this to get more money out of the deal, or to keep the game intact on the shelf, or the fool the customer into thinking it is new? Would they be upfront and say they put the shrink wrap on when asked?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
I know of more than one retailer who re-shrink games after they count the pieces. Is this to get more money out of the deal, or to keep the game intact on the shelf, or the fool the customer into thinking it is new?

All those are possibilities but other than the retailer, no one would know for sure without just speculating, really.

ropearoni4 wrote:
Would they be upfront and say they put the shrink wrap on when asked?

If they re-shrink a game and do not advertise it as being re-shrinked, then I would say that is a bit shady and would stay away.

I know one online retailer who did include a note inside the shrink clearly noting it was re-shrinked so I had no problem buying from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:

I know one online retailer who did include a note inside the shrink clearly noting it was re-shrinked so I had no problem buying from them.

Game night games in Utah does add the note under the shrink that have placed on their used games.

Now what if a game came to the store in disarray and the shrink will eventually be torn away with first person to pick it up? Would you re-shrink it and claim it was new?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
Would you re-shrink it and claim it was new?

No. I like the way Miniature Market handles situations like this. Basically, if there is any damage to the box or even if the shrinkwrap is torn, they put it on the ding & dent shelf. Sometimes I've seen games where the shrinkwrap is just torn around one corner with no damage to the box and they still put it out on their ding & dent shelf.

The other option would be for an (online) store to list the game separately and note it as new w/ torn shrinkwrap and knock off a few bucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
"Shrink removed just to verify that all parts are present."

I agree that would be the best description.

Unfortunately there is always that dilemma when you find a shrinkwrap game at a thrift store. As soon you remove the shrink, the resale value drops.
On the other hand, if it was re-shrink and turns out the game is incomplete/worn, then you have an unhappy buyer and a headache to deal with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.