Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
INTRODUCTION
This was going to be my last tournament in the UK before emigrating to Santa Fe and I had saved the best ‘til last – a 60-player tournament in Birmingham, England. The top 6 would qualify for the Nationals the next day but I already knew I couldn’t go. My wife tried to convince me not to go because she said it would kill me if I qualified and then had to turn down my seat at the Nationals but I wasn’t concerned about that. In the unofficial UK rankings, I have climbed up to 2nd place out of 277 ranked players and my plan has always been to leave the UK as one of the top ten players in the rankings. My other aim was to do much better than last year. At least year's event I flew The Breakneck Boys (remember them?) and came joint 27th. This year, I wanted to be much higher at the event as well. So, I went to the X-Wing Open in the hope of getting 4-2 out of 6 games because that should secure both ambitions. I took with me the trusty Cutting Edge squadron:

CUTTING EDGE
Blue Squadron (#21) + Heavy Laser Cannon
Blue Squadron (#22) + Heavy Laser Cannon
Rebel Operative (#17) + Ion Cannon Turret
Rebel Operative (#18) + Ion Cannon Turret

This is the squad that has won me a 20-player tournament and helped me get 4-2 (5th and 10th) in two differing 32-player tournaments.

GAME 1: GRANT RENNIE
Howlrunner + Determination
Night Beast
Alpha Squadron
Alpha Squadron
Academy Pilot
Academy Pilot

My squad favours Rebel opponents (I picked it because so many people still play B-Wings) and a 6-ship Imperial match-up isn’t an ideal start. He puts down his APs in the far left-hand corner and I put my ships down in the opposite corner.



I notice that one of his APs is at the back with Night Beast in front of him and I have to admit that at this point I secretly hope for some TIE on TIE crashes later. We head towards each other through the asteroid pack in the middle of the mat and not only do a couple of TIEs start bumping each other but one of the Alphas hits an asteroid and takes damage. One of my Blues and a HWK lose a shield each and then in the next turn the same Alpha hits another asteroid and takes one more damage. Then the other one does the same.



I nuke them both the following turn and then a turn later Howlrunner runs into traffic and is one-shot killed by an HLC before Night Beast is killed by a HWK after a Blue hits him twice. The final Alpha goes down quickly and it’s the perfect start, 100-0, 1-0.

GAME 2: ADAM RYLAND
Soontir Fel + Push the Limit + Royal Guard TIE + Stealth Device + Targeting Computer
Carnor Jax + Push the Limit + Royal Guard TIE + Stealth Device + Targeting Computer
Royal Guard + Push the Limit + Royal Guard TIE + Stealth Device + Targeting Computer

I’ve faced this kind of build before. It’s slippery but if the HLCs can strip the Stealth Devices and if I can run traffic, I can beat it. We place the asteroids fairly near me to draw him to me and hopefully ion him off the board. He sets his three Squints up across the back so I know he’s going for a pincer movement. As we get to firing, he takes a HWK out instantly and my reply only hits Carnor Jax twice.



I’m frustrated because my other HWK took damage but used a focus token to limit it and my return ion fire would have ioned his Royal Guard if I'd have been a bit braver and kept the focus token. This game isn’t just about dice but how you use them and that was a big mistake. Well, it’s a bit about dice because my HLCs keep rolling 2 hits and 2 blanks so I can’t modify them. But sometimes it’s about how you use the dice. The next turn Jax goes down so I’m still in but Soontir Fel is running rampant and Adam clearly knows how to fly Squints well. In the same turn I lose a Blue and he loses Soontir, though, so now I’m ahead. I must mention, though, that I lost my Blue through a mistake – I barrel rolled expecting Soontir to come round an asteroid in one particular way. Had I not barrel rolled he would have crashed into me and I would have been fine. Instead, he slipped straight past and shot my flank at range 1. He may have died but the loss of the Blue at that point actually costs me the game. The Royal Guard runs rings round my remaining Blue and eventually my other HWK goes. There are only ten minutes left and there’s nothing I can do – he runs rings with his Squint so we hardly shoot each other and the final score is 69-71, 1-1. That was frustrating because of the two mistakes (the choice of when to use the focus and the barrel roll).

GAME 3: NEIL HOWARD
Bit of context here. Neil Howard came 3rd in this event last year and he came top 8 in the World Championships as well. My heart sinks, especially when I see his build.
Bounty Hunter + Recon Specialist + Anti-Pursuit Lasers
Bounty Hunter + Recon Specialist
Obsidian Pilot
Obsidian Pilot
4 ships like mine but all firing first. If I run traffic on his Firesprays I can’t K-turn my Blues behind him because they’re so big and my K-turn is so small – that could be trouble. I decide that the APL Firespray has to go first. I have to get him approximating single file in order to work my HLCs on him best so I set up in the far right-hand corner with my ships facing left. He sets up pointing straight at me – two Obsidians at the edge of the mat and then two Firesprays to the side.



He asks if we’re just going to dance around. I say no but I know the answer is yes. I move 3 ahead and he does the same. I move 3 ahead and he does the same. I move 1 ahead and he does the same - that was weird but I realise he’s preparing for the turn properly. I turn my HWKs and K-turn my Bs. I have room now. He turns round the corner to face me – instead of width he now has 2 Firesprays side-by-side and two TIEs behind. That’s what I need. I move my Blues 1 ahead and focus and he brings the Firesprays into range with the Obsidians behind. I don’t remember what he hit my Blues for but what I do remember is that, modified, I roll 8 HLC hits on his APL Firespray and he rolls very few, if any, evades. I hit the very damaged APL Firespray with an ion token but the other HWK is out of range. Then I try something risky. I run traffic with the Blues but K-turn one of them. I do this because I’m expecting his Obsidians to overshoot and K-turn behind me, so if I K-turn then I get a shot. But they don’t K-turn, although I do get to run traffic. Still, I’ve dropped a Blue shot and that’s not good. The undamaged Firespray crashes into the K-turned Blue and the Obsidians bump behind. His unmodified attacks cause minimal damage. I open up the HLC from the non-K-turned Blue on an Obsidian. Modified HLC dice against his unmodified green dice…KABLOOM. Nice. A HWK ions the other Firespray. But now I’m a little stuck because I definitely can’t K-turn the other Blue because there’s a Firespray and an Obsidian in the way. I try a red banking-3 to the left but it’s not even close to getting me out so now I’m stressed and in a bad position. I can’t remember exactly what happens here but I definitely lose one of my Blues and the other Blue destroys his remaining Obsidian at range 1. I’m holding my own. I move the HWKs in for control and he 3-hard turns his other Firespray to the right to get out of dodge because if I HLC him he could be toast. My heart lifts when the hard turn puts him firmly on an asteroid. Added to that, Neil takes the hardly damaged Firespray 3 forward and he’s facing the edge. I’m not sure a hard 2 would allow him to turn safely on the board but it’s academic. He’s beached a Firespray with about 3 hull left at a crucial juncture and the other Firespray gets ioned that turn so he’ll definitely be off the next turn. Neil puts out his hand and congratulates me and it’s all over. I’m really pleased. I would have liked to have seen a Firespray with 2 shields and 6 hull actually fly off the board because of my ions but that’s just schadenfreude. At least I know I essentially did it. The dice were with me somewhat in that game – he did roll very few evades but it wasn't as skewed as he clearly felt. I won because modifying my HLCs and ensuring he couldn’t modify attacks or evades (in particular, denying him Recon Specialist a couple of times) made a real difference. I’m really pleased with the win and my confidence lifts. 100-29, 2-1.

GAME 4: JONATHAN HICKS
Darth Vader + Daredevil + Engine Upgrade
Howlrunner + Swarm Tactics + Shield Upgrade
Backstabber
Academy Pilot
Academy Pilot

Seriously? More Imps? Sigh. The APs set up in the top left corner so I set up somewhere in the bottom right facing left. Howlrunner and Backstabber join the APs and Vader takes the top right. I’m amazed when the APs move 2 forward. I only move 1 forward. Backstabber and Howlrunner join the slow-moving APs and then Vader charges ahead. I pray he does the same again. He does - after I’ve K-turned my Blues, Vader runs 5 ahead and then boosts into HLC range.



He fires at a HWK and misses and my unmodified HLC shot is easily evaded. It’s close-quarters on Vader – my 4 ships on his 1 while the other 4 TIEs take an eternity to join the fight. I have to kill Vader but it starts looking the other way. HWK17 takes Damaged Engine and Stunned Pilot crits in the same turn while blanking on 4 green dice (2 + Range + Asteroid). But I get to fire back and finally hit him enough to cause an Injured Pilot crit, which is perfect against Darevader. It’s a HWK that gets the Vader kill, as they often do with this squad. HWK17 takes a Thrust Control Fire crit and is eventually killed off by the TIEs who join the fray but they’ve given me a chance to hunt down Vader at the cost of a HWK, which is a price I’ll happily pay.



Howlrunner is destroyed, an Academy Pilot is destroyed by an HLC and by the end of the hour it’s 72-21 to me, 3-1. I explain to Jonathan, who has only been playing for two months, how he gave me the game by leaving the other TIEs out of the fight for so long. I could have really struggled with that game and that was a lucky escape. Still, 3-1 means only 1 more win needed.

GAME 5: CADEN JONES
Soontir Fel + Push the Limit + Royal Guard TIE + Stealth Device + Targeting Computer
Carnor Jax + Push the Limit + Royal Guard TIE + Stealth Device + Targeting Computer
Royal Guard + Push the Limit + Royal Guard TIE + Stealth Device + Targeting Computer

That’s right. Remember the build that beat me by 2 points in game 2? This is exactly the same build. Exactly the same build. 5 games and 5 Imperial builds. This has to go differently as compared with the last time I faced this list. The set-up is different, with the 3 Squints coming in together.



As much as I need a good start, though, I turn a HWK onto an asteroid in the third turn. That is not acceptable behaviour. The Royal Guard loses 2 hull and then Caden’s three Squints head for my HWKs first. H17 takes a crit and once again, tournament after tournament, it’s the HWK that takes a Munitions Failure crit, rendering it essentially useless. The other HWK is obliterated so now I’m essentially fighting with 2 Blues after two rounds of firing. At least the Royal Guard is destroyed. Then a lucky break as he finishes off my other HWK, which is essentially dead and couldn’t fire back (i.e. he’s wasting shots against lame ships and dropping shots against my Blues, allowing them to last longer). Soontir Fel loses his Stealth Device through an HLC shot and loses one more hull from the other. Lucky break number two as Soontir clips an asteroid… and I mean really just clips it… but he takes damage and is destroyed and now it’s 2 Blues against Carnor Jax. Although I take damage, Jax is in a killbox near the end...



... and loses 2 hull before dying the next turn. 99-42, 4-1.

That’s perfect. I don’t need to worry about the next game because even if I lose it I get the 4-2 I wanted. Still, 5-1 would be really nice.

GAME 6: ALEX LLOYD
Garven
Biggs
Blue Squadron + Advanced Sensors
Blue Squadron + Fire Control System

Alex and I have met before. His was my first game at Milton Keynes on May 3rd and I beat him 75-21. He’s clearly looking for revenge but he mentions he’s been flying into asteroids all day. Still, it’s my first Rebel squad … finally! The plan is the same as last time I flew against him – HLC the X-Wings, ion the Blues. He gives me the initiative (so that he can use his Advanced Sensors as effectively as possible) and I have to say the asteroids do not go down well. As we head towards each other in the middle of the asteroids, I split the HWKs off from the Blues and try to wend them through the asteroids. I take my time because I cannot afford to beach at any point. We take damage and in the same round one of his Blues, Biggs and one of my Blues are destroyed. I remember that to get to that, my other very damaged Blue charged right into the pack behind his two Blues and into the line of fire of Garven and Biggs. I luck out and they don’t kill him outright even though he’s in range 1 of both and, instead, Biggs falls. That was lucky – we could have lost 2 ships each in the same turn. But to get into that position I barrel rolled and moved back slightly and now the K-turn ahead of me over Garven is very close. Very close. I shouldn’t have barrel rolled backwards. I’m not sure I should risk it to K-turn behind Garven.



I decide on 3 ahead and I’ll K-turn next turn. But it’s so close. I change my mind and put down the K-turn. I reveal the K-turn and I’ve not made it, by millimetres. Damn it. That’s a game changer. Garven K-turns over an asteroid and takes no damage from it. Damn it. At least Garven is pointing right at the asteroid so I ion him and I ion the other Blue as well. They fire at my damaged Blue and he takes more damage including a Console Fire crit. He’s almost dead, he’s stressed, he’s facing the wrong way and he’s got a Console Fire. Had I gone 3 ahead, it would have been perfect because I could have K-turned and let rip on Garven, who beaches the next turn because of the ion. Suddenly, it looks like Alex is going to get his revenge. I ion the other Blue and now both of Alex’s ships are stressed and ioned. I hard-2 turn my Blue to the right. Garven gets no shot because he’s beached (no damage on the asteroid again) but his Blue still gets a shot. I roll for the Console Fire and he survives but he can’t survive the Blue’s Range 3 shot. Now this is interesting. We both have two ships. I have 2 HWKs and he has a Blue and Garven, both stressed, both in the middle of the board facing the top left. I pull a hard 2 to the left with one HWK through an asteroid gap and he ends up perfectly just to Garven’s right, slightly ahead but out of firing arc. I ion both his ships again and with 1 aheads on my HWKs he can’t return fire. Because of how Garven hit the asteroid, his template goes over it again and once again, for the third time in a row, he takes no damage! That’s bonkers. But I’m slowly accompanying Alex’s ships towards the top left of the board. There’s a crowd around our game now and whispering starts. This is actually very exciting. I ion them both again and they can’t hit me because I’m still to the right of his ships. Now I have to make a judgement call and this is the call that decides the game for sure. My front HWK is heading for an asteroid at the 2x2 corner. He’s going to have to go right around it in order to not be shot because I cannot risk him flying in front of a B-Wing and an X-Wing. So I’m going to have to drop a shot. I ion them both as the HWK starts flying round the rock. Now I have only 1 ion shot. It has to be Garven and he’s ioned to death. The B-Wing is free. He’s stressed so he’s not going to K-turn and he’s actually fairly limited in options considering he’s heading towards the edge of the board. I guess that he has to turn right to take a shot on my HWK and steer away from the edge. The crowd is growing. I have to ignore them. I run the HWK banking 2 to the left in the hope that I just run past his Blue and my other HWK (the one behind the Blue) turns to the right. My HWKs are now side by side facing opposite directions. It’s perfect – his Blue turns right (so he is no longer heading towards the edge of the board) and runs past my HWK so he drops the all-important shot. 2 ions and it’s the game, undoubtedly the best recovery I’ve ever done and unequivocably the best HWK flying I’ve ever done. 76-58, 5-1. A great, great game.

I can’t believe it! 5-1! That’s amazing for such a huge tournament! The tournament is won by Scott Reed who gets 6-0 and I place 2nd. Last year at the same tournament I ranked joint 27th, this year I came 2nd. I qualify for the Nationals but decline to take a seat and I don’t care in the slightest. This was the perfect way to end my X-Wing career in the UK. I win acrylic Regional movement templates, more acrylic red dice (ensuring I now have 6 of each) and alternate art Luke Skywalker and Chewbacca cards. Because I emigrate to New Mexico on Monday, I also receive a card signed by loads of the players (and the CEO of FFG!) wishing me well. It will take a short while to discover where I am on the UK rankings but it’s almost a certainty that I’ll end up in the top ten. There’s the 16-player Nationals the following day and some of the high-ranking players there could well overtake me, but it won't be enough to knock me out of the top ten.

This was a perfect day. I was beaming all 90-minutes home and came back to a celebratory hug from the wife. Did I regret not taking my seat at the Nationals the next day? As I lay down to sleep and gave my kids a hug, I knew I had made the right decision. This was perfect.
28 
 Thumb up
1.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hurp
United Kingdom
Aldershot
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good report. And best of luck in Sante Fe!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good for you, Tusken, and welcome soon to America!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordy Crozier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on a great 2nd place! Hope the move Santa Fe goes well! Hopefully Rebel Aces opens up A-wings again, I enjoyed your championing of them
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats. Just what we need, more good players in the US.

Right now I am also play testing a 2 HWK, 2 B-Wing list. I won an Imdaar event with it (kind of), but it wasn't as impressive as winning a 60 player tournament. The HWK doesn't get enough love.

Have you played this list against a more B-Wing/Falcon heavy lists? My one problem with it was against a Chewie + 2 B-Wings. With this list you basically only have 2 ships that do significant damage, and that is a lot of hit points to chew through. A 4 B-Wing list would also be tough.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiMaggio
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Piqsid wrote:
Congrats. Just what we need, more good players in the US.

Right now I am also play testing a 2 HWK, 2 B-Wing list. I won an Imdaar event with it (kind of), but it wasn't as impressive as winning a 60 player tournament. The HWK doesn't get enough love.

Have you played this list against a more B-Wing/Falcon heavy lists? My one problem with it was against a Chewie + 2 B-Wings. With this list you basically only have 2 ships that do significant damage, and that is a lot of hit points to chew through. A 4 B-Wing list would also be tough.


This. I wonder how this'll fair against strong 7 TIE swarms. Specifically, Obsidian swarms or PS 6 6-TIE swarms. Ps 2 across the board on all your ships can be a risky game, especially sans-Biggs.

Also, I have been playing around with a HWK in my lists and I do think it's quite underrated. I've been having much fun running 'em .

Judging from the pics, which are much appreciated and something I need to make a point to do during my own games, it looks like you had awesome asteroid set-ups for you. I see this list as doing very well in clustered asteroid fields, and you set up very well to get just that. I'm surprised that your opponents gave this option to you in almost every game. I maybe could see interceptors seeing a crowded field being helpful, but with their amazing dial it seems that a more spread field might help a bit more. That, and 2 ion turrets is a scary thing to face heading into an asteroid field @_@. Good job, and safe travels!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyD144 wrote:

This. I wonder how this'll fair against strong 7 TIE swarms. Specifically, Obsidian swarms or PS 6 6-TIE swarms. Ps 2 across the board on all your ships can be a risky game, especially sans-Biggs.


My list is:
Jan + Ion + Squad Leader
Roark + Ion
Blue x2

So my ships fire at 12, 8, 4, and 2. This helps a lot against high pilot lists. And since my 12 fires with TL+F with 4-5 attack dice, I can 1-shot a high skill pilot before they fire. I've 1-shot X-Wings twice with this combo and almost 1-shot Wedge in my last game. Turtled Interceptors go down hard too. Royal Guard TIEs can barrel roll out of my arc, but I can use Jan's squad leader to barrel roll my B-Wing right back into position.

Neil's list doesn't rely as much on the HWKs as my list does. After his HWKs die, he still has 2 HLCs in the game, so it has better end game ability. I would love to try this list against a swarm, but the most ships I've faced so far with it is 5.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkey Prime wrote:
Congrats on a great 2nd place! Hope the move Santa Fe goes well! Hopefully Rebel Aces opens up A-wings again, I enjoyed your championing of them


Oh, don't worry. Especially now a tournament win is only 12 points, the Rebel Aces will definitely signal a return to A-wings. But for now, I'm rather championing HWKs because they're clearly underestimated. For me, the big difference between a HWK and a Y-wing is in the extra agility die. Yes, crew is also nice if you can afford it (particularly RecSpec) but especially against TIE-swarms (see below), rolling two evades is wondrous.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Piqsid wrote:
Have you played this list against a more B-Wing/Falcon heavy lists? My one problem with it was against a Chewie + 2 B-Wings. With this list you basically only have 2 ships that do significant damage, and that is a lot of hit points to chew through. A 4 B-Wing list would also be tough.


I was murdered by a 3 Blue and Biggs list not too long ago but it was my fault - I barrel rolled my Blues to get better positioning for their HLC shots so I couldn't focus their all-important shots in the first round of firing. Also, my opponent was rolling dice like a man possessed, so he destroyed a B-wing while firing 4 ships at range 3. I think I could handle that list again.

Bluebacca shouldn't be a problem for this list, although I'm speculating. Ion the Blues so they can't shoot and HLC Chewie. Should be able to take him down in a few turns.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyD144 wrote:
.... I wonder how this'll fair against strong 7 TIE swarms. Specifically, Obsidian swarms or PS 6 6-TIE swarms. Ps 2 across the board on all your ships can be a risky game, especially sans-Biggs.


My experience against a TIE-swarm was very close. Craig Reed, the former UK Nationals Champion, threw 6 TIEs at me at a tournament last month. They weren't PS6 although some were. I led the game from the start but a crucial misjudgment on the final turn allowed his Howlrunner to K-turn behind me and nuke a B-wing, beating me on points. Ion the TIE in front and the formation has to break. If they crash to keep formation, that's when the HLCs come into play.

JohnnyD144 wrote:
Judging from the pics, which are much appreciated and something I need to make a point to do during my own games, it looks like you had awesome asteroid set-ups for you. I see this list as doing very well in clustered asteroid fields, and you set up very well to get just that. I'm surprised that your opponents gave this option to you in almost every game. I maybe could see interceptors seeing a crowded field being helpful, but with their amazing dial it seems that a more spread field might help a bit more. That, and 2 ion turrets is a scary thing to face heading into an asteroid field @_@. Good job, and safe travels!

Thanks! Yes, I was really pleased with my asteroid placement, except in the last game. I was very nervous against Neil Howard because I didn't use the asteroids at all, apart from to act as a channel. In all the other games, though, the crowded asteroid field is very helpful.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Piqsid wrote:
Neil's list doesn't rely as much on the HWKs as my list does. After his HWKs die, he still has 2 HLCs in the game, so it has better end game ability. I would love to try this list against a swarm, but the most ships I've faced so far with it is 5.


Credit where credit's due, this is Vorpal Sword's list. I shared with him my thoughts on the current UK meta (still heavily dominated by B-wings but also with elite Squints coming into play) and he suggested a few lists. This one appealed to me most and has been my most successful: 6-0 at a 20-player tournament, 4-2 at two differing 30-players tournaments and 5-1 at a 60-player tournament.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schlueter
United States
Ridgecrest
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tusken Raider wrote:
JohnnyD144 wrote:
.... I wonder how this'll fair against strong 7 TIE swarms. Specifically, Obsidian swarms or PS 6 6-TIE swarms. Ps 2 across the board on all your ships can be a risky game, especially sans-Biggs.


My experience against a TIE-swarm was very close. Craig Reed, the former UK Nationals Champion, threw 6 TIEs at me at a tournament last month. They weren't PS6 although some were. I led the game from the start but a crucial misjudgment on the final turn allowed his Howlrunner to K-turn behind me and nuke a B-wing, beating me on points. Ion the TIE in front and the formation has to break. If they crash to keep formation, that's when the HLCs come into play.


I ran the same list recently (Thanks Tusken Raider and Vorpal Sword!) and faced three TIE swarm variants. You can see my report here (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1180636/assault-at-imdaar-al...). The short version is:

Beat PS6&4 6-TIE swarm (though with a good helping of dice luck in the first combat round), lost to 8-TIE swarm (I piloted badly). The third TIE swarm was run by an inexperienced opponent and wasn't as focused, so the result from that may not be relevant.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
randomscrub wrote:

I ran the same list recently (Thanks Tusken Raider and Vorpal Sword!) and faced three TIE swarm variants. You can see my report here (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1180636/assault-at-imdaar-al...). The short version is:

Beat PS6&4 6-TIE swarm (though with a good helping of dice luck in the first combat round), lost to 8-TIE swarm (I piloted badly). The third TIE swarm was run by an inexperienced opponent and wasn't as focused, so the result from that may not be relevant.


It's a great list! I'm glad you used it. I checked my Voidstate statistics and I'm 19-5 with this list in tournaments - 6-0, 4-2, 4-2 and 5-1 and 22-5 with it overall. I'm not sure how it will do in Wave 4 but I do wonder if it might still hold its own.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schlueter
United States
Ridgecrest
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tusken Raider wrote:
randomscrub wrote:

I ran the same list recently (Thanks Tusken Raider and Vorpal Sword!) and faced three TIE swarm variants. You can see my report here (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1180636/assault-at-imdaar-al...). The short version is:

Beat PS6&4 6-TIE swarm (though with a good helping of dice luck in the first combat round), lost to 8-TIE swarm (I piloted badly). The third TIE swarm was run by an inexperienced opponent and wasn't as focused, so the result from that may not be relevant.


It's a great list! I'm glad you used it. I checked my Voidstate statistics and I'm 19-5 with this list in tournaments - 6-0, 4-2, 4-2 and 5-1 and 22-5 with it overall. I'm not sure how it will do in Wave 4 but I do wonder if it might still hold its own.



I suspect it may do even better in the wave 4 meta. The ion cannons really shine against lower ship counts, and the imps are getting new high-cost ships. Also, the HLCs are great for landing hits vs high agility like the E-wing and cloaked Phantom. Unless we see a lot of Z-95 alpha strike lists, I think this will stay competitive.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
randomscrub wrote:
I suspect it may do even better in the wave 4 meta. The ion cannons really shine against lower ship counts, and the imps are getting new high-cost ships. Also, the HLCs are great for landing hits vs high agility like the E-wing and cloaked Phantom. Unless we see a lot of Z-95 alpha strike lists, I think this will stay competitive.


That's my thinking, too! After all my expectation about the phantom in particular, I may have a list that kicks phantom tuschy. Certainly it will eat through Z-95s.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious to try this list too so I put it together in a couple of casual matches last game and I was impressed with how it worked! Didn't really think of the rebels (especially the HWK) until now, but it's a nifty little ship. It hurts to be at such low PS but I can't deny how fun it was to fly.

A question of handling though, which should be in the lead, B-Wings or HWKs? I tended to let my B-Wings fly straight at the enemy while trying to find clever ways to flank with my HWKs. Which ship should I put in front of the enemy first?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
I was curious to try this list too so I put it together in a couple of casual matches last game and I was impressed with how it worked! Didn't really think of the rebels (especially the HWK) until now, but it's a nifty little ship. It hurts to be at such low PS but I can't deny how fun it was to fly.

A question of handling though, which should be in the lead, B-Wings or HWKs? I tended to let my B-Wings fly straight at the enemy while trying to find clever ways to flank with my HWKs. Which ship should I put in front of the enemy first?


I'll tell you the way I fly it. HWKs at the front, Bs at the back. Don't fly your Bs straight at your opponent because then you don't get the full usage of the HLCs. The sideways deployment is helpful because it draws your opponent nearer to your edge of the board, which is good for ioning. Hard 2 turns when your opponent draws near means everyone is facing your opponent. If need be, your Bs can barrel roll a little further back, although unmodified dice on an HLC isn't a brilliant idea.

The best positioning I ever had with this squadron had my two Bs at the back, a HWK ahead and to the right tucked nicely behind an asteroid and the other HWK far ahead and to the left out of arc of my opponent. My opponent responded by destroying a B-Wing in one turn at range 3. I was not happy.

So, essentially, the B-Wings stay at the back and the HWKs flank. No-one charged forward. Except against a swarm, so it drops shots - then I charged my Bs forward into the swarm to disrupt it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schlueter
United States
Ridgecrest
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tusken Raider wrote:
Norsehound wrote:
I was curious to try this list too so I put it together in a couple of casual matches last game and I was impressed with how it worked! Didn't really think of the rebels (especially the HWK) until now, but it's a nifty little ship. It hurts to be at such low PS but I can't deny how fun it was to fly.

A question of handling though, which should be in the lead, B-Wings or HWKs? I tended to let my B-Wings fly straight at the enemy while trying to find clever ways to flank with my HWKs. Which ship should I put in front of the enemy first?


I'll tell you the way I fly it. HWKs at the front, Bs at the back. Don't fly your Bs straight at your opponent because then you don't get the full usage of the HLCs. The sideways deployment is helpful because it draws your opponent nearer to your edge of the board, which is good for ioning. Hard 2 turns when your opponent draws near means everyone is facing your opponent. If need be, your Bs can barrel roll a little further back, although unmodified dice on an HLC isn't a brilliant idea.

The best positioning I ever had with this squadron had my two Bs at the back, a HWK ahead and to the right tucked nicely behind an asteroid and the other HWK far ahead and to the left out of arc of my opponent. My opponent responded by destroying a B-Wing in one turn at range 3. I was not happy.

So, essentially, the B-Wings stay at the back and the HWKs flank. No-one charged forward. Except against a swarm, so it drops shots - then I charged my Bs forward into the swarm to disrupt it.


I had pretty good results with littering my end of the board with asteroids and then going for a single jousting pass with HWKs before Bs followed by opportunistic scatter-and-hunt. Approaching in formation helped me focus my fire, and I'd usually get a range 3 kill in the 1st combat round. Then the HWKs do a 3fwd to try to bump while the Bs slow roll it for the turn and get range 1 shots. This usually got me another kill, while they focus on stripping the shields from a B. After that, I usually have 1-2 ships ioned, and the rest are forced to k-turn or scatter into the asteroids and abandon their ioned comrade(s), either of which ruins their formation. This squad works really well when doing scattered hunting, and so the results tended in my favor. But all this assumes that you're not facing more than 5 or so ships. I found this method was easier for me than Tusken's. Largely because I often screw up if I try to scatter before the first pass, and end up terribly out of position.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I should clarify, I was setting up running parallel to my home edge and responding to my opponent's moves that way. I haven't really done that before my Sunday Imdaar Alpha and I was having some good success with it.

The strategy I was suggesting was when turning, which ships to lead with on the attack. Which ships would I stick out in front for the enemy to start ideally shooting with on the turn.

I've also been clustering the asteroids on my end of the board because I realized one advantage of B-wings is close-in knife fighting and having all those asteroids there means the enemy will have more restricted moves trying to run over my obstalces. Depending on how well I'm doing I'm also not afraid to be offensive and deliberarly flying over asteroids with my Hawks. I might get some damage but as long as they can still have a chance of throwing out Ion cannons, I'll take it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
msg tools
Hope this isn't too much of a necro post.

Tusken, how would this build hold out in the current meta? Is PS the end all, be all now or do you think this still holds out strong
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Boundary wrote:
Hope this isn't too much of a necro post.

Tusken, how would this build hold out in the current meta? Is PS the end all, be all now or do you think this still holds out strong


Just saw this post. I haven't tried it although I'm sorely tempted. If you can ion a high-PS Phantom then you're laughing because you can HLC it to pieces next turn. But I'm not sure. I've seen (and played) some builds that I think might really smack this one around, such as 4 Sigmas. That would tear through this list, I think.

Still, I'd love to see it tried.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schlueter
United States
Ridgecrest
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tusken Raider wrote:
Boundary wrote:
Hope this isn't too much of a necro post.

Tusken, how would this build hold out in the current meta? Is PS the end all, be all now or do you think this still holds out strong


Just saw this post. I haven't tried it although I'm sorely tempted. If you can ion a high-PS Phantom then you're laughing because you can HLC it to pieces next turn. But I'm not sure. I've seen (and played) some builds that I think might really smack this one around, such as 4 Sigmas. That would tear through this list, I think.

Still, I'd love to see it tried.


I tried it on VASSAL a few weeks ago vs Theorist, who was running Echo + ACD + VI + Sensor Jammer + Rebel Captive and Boba Fett with VI + HLC + Engine + Gunner (I think that was all of it).

I lost, but it very easily could have gone the other way. I landed 2 ions on Echo, but the HLCs never punched through the cloak (my 4 hits would always run into 4 evades!). Boba was torn up pretty bad by HLCs and was very susceptible to blocking. Whisper actually would have made an easier matchup than Echo as he's more predictable.

I think this build still has chops in the current meta, though a well flown Fat Han would still be a bit challenging.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.