Subject: Some New Card Ideas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Levi Petty
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
"Worth [x]" means that it is worth x coins. +[x] means +x coins. Worth {x} means that it is worth x VP. +x{} means +x VP chips. P means potion. None of these go to a specific new expansion. They could all be promo cards, in fact.

Exchange:
Type: Action, Reaction
Effect: Trash a card from your hand. Gain any number of cards costing at least [1] that have a total cost of the trashed card's cost.
Reaction Effect: When any number of your cards is discarded for any reason during a different player's turn, you may set this card aside from your hand. If you do, +1 card per card discarded. After drawing all of the cards, put this card back into your hand.
Cost: [5]

The reason you set this aside is to prevent you from revealing it multiple times on the same occasion to draw infinite cards.

Carnival:
Type: Action
Effect: Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. For each differently named card revealed, +1 card.

Traveler:
Effect: Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. For each differently named card revealed, +1{}.

Collector:
Effect: Discard any number of cards from your hand. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal one card that isn't a copy of any of the discarded cards for each card discarded, putting them into your hand.

Museum:
Effect: Reveal your hand. For each differently named card revealed, choose one of the following(You can choose the same thing multiple times): +1 card; +1 action; +1 buy; or, +[1].
Cost: [6]

Toy Shop:
Effect: Reveal your hand. Double the number of differently named cards revealed, and draw until you have that many cards.
Cost: [4]

Silver Spell:
Type: Treasure
Effect: Worth [2]. Gain 3 silvers, putting them into your hand. After playing this, return this to the supply along with 3 silvers either from play or from your hand. Each other player may gain a silver, putting it into their hand.
Cost: [6]P

Mana Spell:
Effect: Worth PP. +1 buy. Gain 2 potions. When you gain this, trash all potions in play.
Cost: [5]P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh. I promised myself to be done with fan cards...

Gubump wrote:
Exchange:
Reaction Effect: When any number of your cards is discarded for any reason, you may set this card aside from your hand. If you do, +1 card per card discarded. After drawing all of the cards, put this card back into your hand.

You discard cards that are set aside when you use Golem, so using Golem, this card could conceivably allow you to draw your deck. Also, you discard your hand and all non-active-duration cards in play at the end of your turn so you could use this to have a huge hand between turns.

Gubump wrote:
Carnival:
Effect: Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. For each differently named card revealed, +1 card.

What happens to the revealed cards?

Gubump wrote:
Traveler:
Effect: Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. For each differently named card revealed, +1{}.

What happens to the revealed cards?

Gubump wrote:
Collector:
Effect: Discard any number of cards from your hand. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal one card that isn't a copy of any of the discarded cards for each card discarded, putting them into your

I'm too confused to comment.

Gubump wrote:
Toy Shop:
Effect: Reveal your hand. Double the number of differently named cards revealed, and draw until you have that many cards.

So, like, if I have 3 differently named cards, I would draw until I have six cards (in my hand, I presume)? Have you tried this card with Hunting Party, Knights, Black Market, or Looters in play?

Gubump wrote:
Mana Spell:
Effect: Worth PP. +1 buy. Gain 2 potions. When you gain this, trash all potions in play.

So, when you play this, it is worth PP, and you gain 2 Potions as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Exchange, Carnival, Museum, Toy Shop, Silver Spell, and Mana Spell all seem underpowered. Traveler seems potentially broken. Collector seems a bit fiddly.

(Honestly, Harvest wasn't that popular the first time it was implemented.)

I admire your effort in designing cards, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
Exchange, Carnival, Museum, Toy Shop, Silver Spell, and Mana Spell all seem underpowered. Traveler seems potentially broken. Collector seems a bit fiddly.

(Honestly, Harvest wasn't that popular the first time it was implemented.)

I initially scoffed at Harvest, but I'm a fan of it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:

I don't. Would you please playtest a card or two before you pump out yet another page of horrible cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Gubump wrote:
Exchange:
Effect: Trash a card. Gain any number of cards costing at least [1] that have a total cost of the trashed card's cost.
Reaction Effect: When any number of your cards is discarded for any reason, you may set this card aside from your hand. If you do, +1 card per card discarded. After drawing all of the cards, put this card back into your hand.

As an attack-deterrent, it's trying to do what Horse Traders does but clunkier. Using the reaction part on its own leads to stupidly large draw with "reveal until" effects. The action part is weak and more fiddly than useful.

Gubump wrote:
Carnival:

Changing Harvest from terminal cash to terminal draw just makes it even less interesting. Harvest effects want lots of different names, lots of different names often means lots of actions, lots of actions makes terminal draw sad; this is too hungry for a village engine.

Gubump wrote:
Traveler:

Effect that let you gain VP chips should push the game forward, otherwise you get situations where players are encouraged to sit around farming VP without bringing the game to a conclusion. Bishop trashes cards and Goons works when you buy cards, both of which are a (usually) irreversible move forward. Monument gives you only one point, and it comes with money so that you'll want to spend the money, so the game still moves forward. This gives you a mountain of VP chips and nothing else, which makes it perfect for making games endless.

Gubump wrote:
Collector:
Effect: Discard any number of cards from your hand. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal one card that isn't a copy of any of the discarded cards for each card discarded, putting them into your hand.

I get what you're trying to do here but this really comes across as an unwieldy Horse Traders.

Gubump wrote:
Museum:
Effect: Reveal your hand. For each differently named card revealed, choose one of the following(You can choose the same thing multiple times): +1 card; +1 action; +1 buy; or, +[1].

Toy Shop:

Museum is strictly better than Toy Shop. You made both these cards and put them right next to each other, how can you not see that? Please give your cards at least some cursory thought before posting them.

Gubump wrote:
Silver Spell:
Effect: Worth [2]. Gain 3 silvers, putting them into your hand. After playing this, return this to the supply along with 3 silvers either from play or from your hand. Each other player may gain a silver, putting it into their hand.
Cost: [6]P

It took me a few reads to parse this, since it's written very confusingly. Here's what it boils down to: "+$2. For each Silver in play, +$2 (max +$6 this way). Return this card to the supply. Each other player may gain a silver, putting it into their hand."

The ratio of rules complexity to strategic complexity here is way out of whack (it's a linear money card that's barely readable), and as a one-shot costing 6+P with an extra drawback it's not worth using.

Gubump wrote:
Mana Spell:

Why would I ever want this. Why would anyone ever want this. Why would you think this was a good card. Why would you bother posting this. Why would you bother typing this. Did you actually think up this card in your head, or did you program a computer to spit out possible Dominion card text with Markov chains and blindly post the result? Stop. Stop this now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

I don't. Would you please playtest a card or two before you pump out yet another page of horrible cards?

I have to agree here. Not only are you not bothering to play test, you haven't bothered to take into consideration a shred of advice that was given to you into your two previous threads. Why on earth should we bother giving feedback if you aren't going to take it and use it on future iterations or new cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

Isn't that a little harsh? You may not think the cards are great, but BGG is supposed to be a welcoming community where people can make propositions without fear of insult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
LastFootnote wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

Isn't that a little harsh? You may not think the cards are great, but BGG is supposed to be a welcoming community where people can make propositions without fear of insult.

I think it's the "I'm going to keep posting cards and not take anything anyone says to heart" attitude that's bothering people. If he were learning from the feedback he's already been given, he might get a different reaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They were all posted at the same time, or at least within a few hours of each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See his post on May 27th.
EDIT: Or prior. Check out his post history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Petty
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
pinkymadigan wrote:
MD1616 wrote:
LastFootnote wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

I think it's the "I'm going to keep posting cards and not take anything anyone says to heart" attitude that's bothering people. If he were learning from the feedback he's already been given, he might get a different reaction.

The only "advice" I've gotten is you saying that I should specify where cards are trashed from, which I've done. And you also said to specify on Summoner whether Demon is in the supply or not. It says right next to the price of Demon, "Not in the supply." So you've basically just stated that I'm missing something I'm not, which shows that you obviously didn't actually read those cards very thoroughly. So actually, I am listening to people's advice. I'll make sure to playtest my next set of cards. For the most part, though, people's so-called "advice" is basically saying that all my cards suck. Not much constructive criticism there. If somebody actually gave some useful advice nicely, then maybe I would listen to it! Rant over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gubump wrote:
pinkymadigan wrote:
MD1616 wrote:
LastFootnote wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

The only "advice" I've gotten is you saying that I should specify where cards are trashed from, which I've done. And you also said to specify on Summoner whether Demon is in the supply or not. It says right next to the price of Demon, "Not in the supply." So you've basically just stated that I'm missing something I'm not, which shows that you obviously didn't actually read those cards very thoroughly. So actually, I am listening to people's advice. I'll make sure to playtest my next set of cards. For the most part, though, people's so-called "advice" is basically saying that all my cards suck. Not much constructive criticism there.

You are actually getting really great advice from really good, world-class Dominion players. In one of your threads, a link was given on a guide to creating cards.

You are still ignoring plenty of things people are saying that are constructive. Remember that negativity and constructive criticism are not mutually exclusive.

You have since created other cards that rely on cards being trashed and do not say where the trashed card comes from, so you are not taking my advice (or others) to heart, you're just spamming the crap out of us with ideas.

I've watched these forums a lot, and one things for sure - if you are receptive, and take advice and rebuild each set, there are people willing to work with you on your card ideas, but if you just keep letting brain diarrhea all over each thread, people will tune you out and lose interest very quickly, and stop trying to help.

EDIT: Check out your very first card IN THIS THREAD:

Quote:

Exchange:
Effect: Trash a card. Gain any number of cards costing at least [1] that have a total cost of the trashed card's cost.

Where did the card I trashed come from? You are still making the same mistakes. Contrast the wording with trashers from the very first set:
http://dominionstrategy.com/2010/11/17/dominion-chapel/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gubump wrote:
The only "advice" I've gotten is you saying that I should specify where cards are trashed from, which I've done. And you also said to specify on Summoner whether Demon is in the supply or not. It says right next to the price of Demon, "Not in the supply." So you've basically just stated that I'm missing something I'm not, which shows that you obviously didn't actually read those cards very thoroughly. So actually, I am listening to people's advice. I'll make sure to playtest my next set of cards. For the most part, though, people's so-called "advice" is basically saying that all my cards suck. Not much constructive criticism there. If somebody actually gave some useful advice nicely, then maybe I would listen to it! Rant over.

I'm sorry for being harsh. Let me try again.

Normally I try to critique most sets of cards that are posted on BGG. I go over each card individually. The reason I have not done that with yours is the sheer volume of cards you have cranked out, almost every one of which has several issues.

If you want good feedback, think "quality over quantity". If you don't care about feedback or improvement and just like posting tons of ideas, carry on. There's nothing wrong with that, so sorry for letting it get under my skin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
did you program a computer to spit out possible Dominion card text with Markov chains

For the record, I now want to write this program.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Gubump wrote:
The only "advice" I've gotten is you saying that I should specify where cards are trashed from, which I've done.

My new piece of advice is that you start actually reading other peoples' posts.

Gubump wrote:
For the most part, though, people's so-called "advice" is basically saying that all my cards suck. Not much constructive criticism there.

Constructive criticism doesn't mean saying nice things. Saying "this doesn't work and here's why" is constructive. Any useful criticism of your cards will inevitably need to bring up the fact that all your cards suck because all your cards do, in fact, suck, and their suckiness cannot be fixed without acknowledging that they suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:

You are obviously very new to the Dominion forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buggy wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

Yeah, this Dominion forum has a few similarities to a hard core Spartan warrior society where the only way to get get a tombstone with your name on it mega-thumbs here are to:

be a woman who died during childbirth
be a man who died gloriously in service to Sparta
--be the designer posting something
--be one of the playtesters posting something
--answer a question correctly, but YOU MUST BE THE FIRST ONE! If one person beat you by a minute, your reply is effectively invisible
--reply and counter why someone's ideas are ridiculous (being "rude" or not so "rude", topics including gameplay philosophies, and yes, variants)

If you don't have thicker skin, stay away from the DominionStrategy forums! They will ridicule and downvote you till you break down and cry! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buggy wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

Oh, I've been following the Dominion forum for half a year at least (though I honestly have very little interest in fan expansions), but this round of criticism seemed particularly harsh. I could just be imagining things, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
Buggy wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

Oh, I've been following the Dominion forum for half a year at least (though I honestly have very little interest in fan expansions), but this round of criticism seemed particularly harsh. I could just be imagining things, however.
Speak for yourself. I almost had my "Dominion license" revoked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
MD1616 wrote:

The things being criticized seemed particularly bad. Also, a newbie making poor cards once is one thing, but making multiple threads of poor cards, ignoring all criticism of them, and then making more threads with more bad cards with the same mistakes is another. There's a difference between not having learned and having actively refused to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Petty
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
salty53 wrote:
Gubump wrote:
The only "advice" I've gotten is you saying that I should specify where cards are trashed from, which I've done.

My new piece of advice is that you start actually reading other peoples' posts.

Gubump wrote:
For the most part, though, people's so-called "advice" is basically saying that all my cards suck. Not much constructive criticism there.

Constructive criticism doesn't mean saying nice things. Saying "this doesn't work and here's why" is constructive. Any useful criticism of your cards will inevitably need to bring up the fact that all your cards suck because all your cards do, in fact, suck, and their suckiness cannot be fixed without acknowledging that they suck.

I do actually read other peoples' posts, and what I said stays true. And actually, I'm pretty sure you DON'T need to be a jerk. Other suggestion forums do constructive criticism nicely, and it works far better than this place's poor excuse for constructive criticism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gubump wrote:
I do actually read other peoples' posts, and what I said stays true. And actually, I'm pretty sure you DON'T need to be a jerk. Other suggestion forums do constructive criticism nicely, and it works far better than this place's poor excuse for constructive criticism.

Some people's criticism is harsher than others, but the fact remains you are ignoring almost all criticism, despite glaring problems with the way you continue to word things. Whether the criticism is harsh or not is irrelevant if you want to craft a good set of cards.

There have been several people over your threads that have picked through your cards with a fine tooth comb, which actually takes a lot of work. It's apparently not worth their time though since you seem to ignore their feedback and just get angry because you think their criticism is too harsh.

All I'm saying is if you want to get continuous feedback, it's worth taking that feedback to heart, otherwise you won't have any discussion at all on your threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
You have put more thought into complaining about people not praising your cards than you have into your cards themselves.

Try this: read Museum. Like, really read it, understand what its effect does. Now, look at Toy Shop. Like, really read it, understand what its effect does. Now compare their effects. What benefit, specifically, does Toy Shop provide that Museum does not?

This isn't something I should have to tell you to do because the issue is evident the moment you actually understand what the cards' effects are. but you don't. You didn't understand your own cards' text when you wrote them, and you were too lazy to bother rereading them when the problems were pointed out. But getting upset over being criticized is easier than improving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Petty
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
salty53 wrote:
You have put more thought into complaining about people not praising your cards than you have into your cards themselves.

Try this: read Museum. Like, really read it, understand what its effect does. Now, look at Toy Shop. Like, really read it, understand what its effect does. Now compare their effects. What benefit, specifically, does Toy Shop provide that Museum does not?

This isn't something I should have to tell you to do because the issue is evident the moment you actually understand what the cards' effects are. but you don't. You didn't understand your own cards' text when you wrote them, and you were too lazy to bother rereading them when the problems were pointed out. But getting upset over being criticized is easier than improving.

I did understand what both those cards did, but you're right, I didn't think about that very thoroughly. I buffed Toy Shop's price to [4] and fixed exchange. I can't really fix the problems with the other cards without changing them entirely, though. And I'm not complaining about people not praising my cards. I don't care if people praise my cards or not; what I do care is if people rudely say that they hate my ideas. How would you feel if everybody told you they hated every one of your ideas? There is a nice, tactful way to say, "your cards suck!" without being mean. Just say, "hey, your card ideas aren't very good. Here's some ways to make them better." Saying "your cards suck!" isn't very nice, and is just unnecessary and rude. I'll try harder to make sure my ideas are good though, and proof-read and test them before posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.