Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Getting burned a lot with Euros lately...Is there one out there I would like? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if my tastes in board games are changing, or if I've just been unlucky as of late, but I'm starting to lose faith in Euro games based on the ones I've played lately. I need some help finding a Euro game or two that would work well based on my tastes.

Here are some Euro games in my collection that I enjoy:

Castles of Burgundy
Trajan
Amerigo
Macao
Bora Bora
Yedo
Nations
Race for the Galaxy
Suburbia
Tzolk'in

(Note: I've played all the Feld games I care to...these are the ones I've kept)

Here are the ones I've bought in recent months that didn't go over well with me:

Agricola - Used to like this one, but it just feels like work now.

Bruges - Felt like an inferior version of Race for the Galaxy.

Firenze - I liked this one alright, but it was a little too one-dimensional for me to keep after a couple of plays.

Last Will - Very dry, and the theme didn't come through at all.

Shipyard - Same as Last Will.

Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy - Just kind of meh.

Troyes - Not enough variety, and I don't like how brief the 2p game is.

Village - Expected more from this one. Felt like I was just "going through the motions" as I played.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I'd like to avoid economic games and games with auctions. I haven't had the greatest of luck with either in the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try San Juan, if you want a slightly less complex version of Race for the Galaxy. Also Puerto Rico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Whitpan
United States
Schwenksville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can line up with some of those, and I like most of the same you do, except Macao (might have been the game that day though) I really like Yedo buy don;t play it enough.

Some of the ones I really like have been....

Euphoria
Gates of Loyang
Walnut Grove
Archipelago
Belfort
Le Havre
Caverna I get the Agricola feeling too. But this is much more open ended and great with two.

If you don't mind cards instead of workers...
Lewis and Clark
Rococo

Have you tried any Martin Wallace? They can be dry, but very economic generally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
United States
Colorado Springs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age! My favorite worker-placement euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Miller
United States
Cicero
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll toss in my 2 (or 3) cents.

Lords of Waterdeep with or without the Lords of Waterdeep: Scoundrels of Skullport expansion. Try the base game first and if you like it definitely consider the expansion.

Also Glass Road. Even though it's a Uwe, it's not in the Harvest Trilogy tradition, it has different mechanics and moves at a faster pace.

One last one would be Snowdonia. Haven't played it a ton, but would be worth a look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have a lot of the same favorite Euros (CoB, Macao, Suburbia, Tzolkin), so our tastes might match, although I do really love Agricola and Caverna too.

Focusing on Euros that came out in 2012 or 2013, my other favorites that I'd recommend checking out if you haven't already:
Lords of Waterdeep - just the best gateway worker placement, hits the table a lot, and the expansion is great too

Viticulture - the theme feels really well integrated for a Euro

Concordia

And I would add an older one - Fresco - which continue to hit the table a lot - like Viticulture, a well integrated theme for a Euro.

I find that while I was really excited about all the Euros when I first discovered designer games, I am now much more particular, only willing to spend time replaying ones where there's a good theme - I don't need overproduced, lots of story like FFG, but I don't want to feel the theme is just pasted on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the 10 you like, I love 5 of them. A couple I've never played, so I don't count those. So we agree on 5 out of 8. Therefore I feel able to suggest some of my other favorites to you.

Innovation
Glory to Rome - both designed by Carl Chudyk, one easy to find, one almost impossible, but worth it when you find a copy.

Palazzo - a Reiner Knizia that I just discovered and am having a lot of fun with.

Cinque Terre - more thinky than some other pick-up-and-deliver games.

Just one question: You say you've tried enough Stefan Feld's. Are you saying that you reject In the Year of the Dragon? That's too bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep - as stated above.

Lancaster - Euro with some player interaction to spice things up.

Caverna - I much prefer it to Agricola.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Petz, the theme comes through really well in this one and its nicely brain burny too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies so far!

I forgot to mention that I wanted to avoid economic games and ones with auctions. I just haven't enjoyed games that have to do with either subject. I'll edit the header accordingly modest

Puerto Rico I've considered, though it seems very dry. Plus the lack of variety without having to chase down the expansion is kind of a turnoff. I'm not sure I'd want to go with San Juan either since I started with Race for the Galaxy, and don't want something simpler than that (Thus why Bruges wasn't a big hit for me).

I've heard good things about Caverna, but I think that's definitely a try before I buy based on my experiences with Agricola. Same with Le Havre and Glass Road.

Are Stone Age and Lords of Waterdeep still going to be relevant when I already own games like Yedo and Tzolk'in? I've considered LoW in the past, but it doesn't seem to do much that Yedo doesn't do...

I've looked at both Concordia and Lewis and Clark before. They both seem interesting, but I'm afraid Concordia may be a little dry, and Lewis and Clark seems like too much of a brain burner for what it is...though I love the theme.

I've watched videos on Snowdonia, and I'm just bored to tears by them. I don't know what it is, but I just can't see myself getting into that one.

Fresco looked a little simplistic, though I remember enjoying Rahdo's runthrough of it. I'll give it another look.

I haven't checked out Viticulture, but now I'll be sure to!

Keep the suggestions coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Portland (Wilsonville)
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Golden... As in Oldie
mbmbmbmbmb
I also really relate to your list of games that you enjoy. All of them are some of my most highly rated games. The one exception there is Bora Bora which I have not yet played, but that one also looks right up my ally.

Troyes is the one game on your second list that belongs with the first group IMHO. Love that game although if you think it doesn't present enough variety you may want to consider the Ladies of Troyes (and possibly bonus card promos) which ups the variety drastically. Also better with 3 than 2.

Since your favorites coincide with mine so well I'll just suggest some of my other favorites...

1) A Mac Gerdts game or two... Imperial 2030, Navegador, Concordia are all excellent games. Concordia may look dry but it's actually quite fun.

2) Keyflower. Amazing game that I love in so many ways. Keyflower has bidding, but it's not really an "auction" game due to the way bidding is implemented and integrated along with other mechanics.

3) Vanuatu is a great euro that is pretty cheap to pickup right now, but I predict will become quite expensive in the future. A great euro with a really interesting and interactive action selection mechanic.

4) Terra Mystica. Maybe doesn't quite live up to the buzz for me, but even if it's only 80% as good as everyone says, that's still an awesome game. Still one of my highest rated games.

5) Hansa Teutonica - A very different euro with lots of interaction. Unique feel, plays quickly and plays different every time as it's so dependent on player interaction. I'm not very good at this one but it's always fun and doesn't seem to get old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancaster and Hansa Teutonica are ones I've heard of, but haven't really looked into. I'll have to check them out.

I had a look at Dungeon Petz, but Vlaada's games are very hit and miss for me. I enjoyed Mage Knight and Through the Ages, but absolutely hated Dungeon Lords and Galaxy Trucker. I'm not necessarily looking for a brain burner either, so this is firmly in the maybe pile for now.

Forgot to mention I didn't care for Keyflower either

Haven't heard of Vanatu...another one to seek out.

I'll take another look at Terra Mystica, but I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for. I can't remember what it is about it that turned me off initially, but I'll give it another look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Belfort and Lewis & Clark.

I was also going to suggest Nations, but then I noticed, that I must have missed it in your list above.

How about Core Worlds, or Among the Stars?

A bit older... Tigris & Euphrates.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't care for T&E...it's an okay game, but not really what I enjoy.

Core Worlds I dismissed because it seemed too close to RftG.

Among the Stars is actually on my wishlist now As soon as it has a wide release in the U.S. I'll be picking it up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
Core Worlds I dismissed because it seemed too close to RftG.

I wouldn't call them close at all.

Well, both are card games, and both are space themed. That's about it.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
EllenCaroline wrote:
Of the 10 you like, I love 5 of them. A couple I've never played, so I don't count those. So we agree on 5 out of 8. Therefore I feel able to suggest some of my other favorites to you.

Innovation
Glory to Rome - both designed by Carl Chudyk, one easy to find, one almost impossible, but worth it when you find a copy.

Palazzo - a Reiner Knizia that I just discovered and am having a lot of fun with.

Cinque Terre - more thinky than some other pick-up-and-deliver games.

Just one question: You say you've tried enough Stefan Feld's. Are you saying that you reject In the Year of the Dragon? That's too bad.

I thought In the Year of the Dragon was okay, but not worth paying for a copy of it until it comes back into print. The only ones of his I haven't played yet are Notre Dame and the Roma games. Notre Dame is another one I'm waiting to come back into print, and I've played similar games to Roma...they're alright, but nothing that makes me want to go out and buy that one.

My FLGS has a copy of Innovation, and I thought about picking it up, but it seems like such a commitment game. By that I mean that you need to play it a lot to get the full feel for it. I play with a variety of different people, so I'm not sure how well this would go in those situations.

I'll have a look at Cinque Terre and Palazzo...thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid Matsuoka
United States
Cupertino
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried Bruxelles 1893? It is supposed to be very "Feld" like while being from a different designer. Might fit well based on your list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
yonsaiyan wrote:
Have you tried Bruxelles 1893? It is supposed to be very "Feld" like while being from a different designer. Might fit well based on your list.

I need to give that one another chance. I remember the board looking very busy to me, but I'll have another look at it, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The most interesting Euro I've played in recent months is

A Study in Emerald.

It's got theme, interesting interactions, cool mechanics, and once all players get to know the game well, it really turns into a tense tug-of-war each game. Every game is different because of how many different cards can enter the game each session. Highly recommended, although it's best with 3+. Supposedly not so great with 2.

I'm really surprised you found little variety in Troyes. I find it chock full of variety every game. Different strokes, I guess.

I've never played it, but +1 to Vanuatu. It's high on my want list because it's supposed to have serious teeth.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. They all look alike after awhile-just be PICKY.laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Lester
United States
SANTA MONICA
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Keyflower

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Zawadzki
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowdonia, Navegador, Imperial, Goa, or maybe Russian Railroads - these are all good games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhys Hopkins
United Kingdom
Pontypool
Torfaen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you've said no economic games but I'd seriously recommend looking at Brass: Lancashire, I don't think that it is any more an economic game than Race for the Galaxy or Nations, which both have engine building aspects. Its one game I've picked up recently that I feel like I should have bought earlier and I've really enjoyed the 'empire' building and player interactions that it brings to the table.

+1 to Hansa Teutonica - I don't feel like a Hanseatic trader while playing this but I still love the game. There aren't many I've come across where the players control so much of the pacing and interactions. It can be hard to convince people to try it as it hasn't got the most alluring art, but I haven't played it with one person yet who didn't like it. The only issue with this game is that you really need 3+ players for the interactions to be there.

+1 to A Study in Emerald - Another Wallace game and one that on the face of it sounds like a Frankenstein's Monster; it has deck building, hidden roles, area control, semi co-op play, set in an alternative Victorian period where Lovecraftian Monsters have taken control of the ruling families of Europe and a cast of characters such as Sherlock Holmes, Moriarty, zombies and vampires. I was sceptical that this would ever work, but it has been great fun every time I've played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninjato
Olympos
Cyclades
Innovation
Dungeon Petz
Evo (second edition)
Carson City
Alien Frontiers
Dungeon Lords
Clash of Cultures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for the suggestions everyone!

I've decided to go with Cinque Terre for now, but there are a few others I'm looking into for future purchases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.