M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does this card work?

It came up today when we were playing.

Text: A hero may discard this card during his turn to perform an immediate rest action; this does not require an action.

Competing Interpretations:

* Rest actions are defined to happen at the end of a heroes' turn. Thus, a hero discards this card, takes their turn, and then at the end of their turn recovers all of their stamina.

* The card says the rest action is performed immediately. Thus, a hero discards this card, recovers all of their stamina, and then continues their turn. If it was intended to be a normal rest action, there would be no need for the word immediate.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Number 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
To be completely precise, rest actions are not defined to happen at the end of a hero's turn. Rest actions happen during the perform actions step of a hero's turn, but the fatigue recovery that results from the rest action happens at the end of the turn.

My interpretation of this card is that it gives you a rest action without having to spend one of your two actions, but the rest action still works like any other rest action; i.e. you still don't recover fatigue until the end of your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Simoni
Belgium
Diegem
Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on Darren's interpretation.

If the goal was to immediately recover all the stamina I guess they would have written "use the card to immediately recover all the stamina". The fact that the card refers to the rest action makes me think that the recovery must happen at the end of the turn and not before.

I have to add that the term 'immediate' causes some confusion though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sabbione wrote:

If the goal was to immediately recover all the stamina I guess they would have written "use the card to immediately recover all the stamina". The fact that the card refers to the rest action makes me think that the recovery must happen at the end of the turn and not before.

I have to add that the term 'immediate' causes some confusion though.

Yeah, it would be totally unnecessary to call it a rest action, if it would just recover all fatigue immediately. It is just confusingly written

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If they wanted it to remove fatigue immediately they would have used the wording from Stamina Potion or similar.

Word immediate could be used to avoid timing issues. Say, I use this card, and then start movement action during which overlord does something to stop me from doing any more actions this turn. I will still recover fatigue as I already had rest action. It was probably safer to add this word in case some future effect could be otherwise mistakenly interpreted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
I know of at least 1 ability which trigger on rest actions. For example Grisban:

"Each time you perform a rest action, you may immediately discard 1 Condition card from yourself."

So by performing the rest action at the start of his turn he could immediately remove a condition, even though he doesn't recover the fatigue until later.

I don't know of any other abilities like this offhand, but it seems likely there might be others, or other events which are triggered on resting. I know many which look like they might, actually don't. For example, Nature's Bounty states the damage is removed when the fatigue is recovered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also the Weakened Condition, which would be removed from Place of Peace immediately, despite that the fatigue recovery would happen at the end of the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.