Rana Puer
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

In a game the other day, one player took an Ambassador action to draw cards, and immediately afterward he proclaimed "I just drew all three Contessas, so assassins shouldn't worry about any Contessas except me." Immediately, several of the other players objected to this and claimed that he was not allowed to say anything about what he saw in the deck.

Is this a legal thing to do?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt feldman
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, you can say whatever you want. But that includes untruths. Doesn't that seem in line with taking character actions that may or may not be yours?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't see that as another nuanced part of the game you may not be understanding this game That is a perfectly devious, and totally legitimate claim. One it will soon try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Liu
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's legal to claim to have seen anything you want. Whether they believe you or not is the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I believe you can say anything you want. You can't SHOW them the cards, but you can claim anything you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are benefits to telling the truth, lying, or refusing to say anything for all players, so I don't see any benefit to a secrecy rule. If you're properly paranoid, you'll leave it to the Ambassador to challenge any Contessa claims against your Assassin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rana Puer
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent.

At this point, I'll also reveal that it was I who tried this move the other day, except I was totally lying about having seen all three Contessas (I saw two). As soon as I said this, multiple players jumped on me for cheating, saying "you're not allowed to say that!" and "poor form." I think there are a lot of interesting applications in terms of telling the truth/lying about the deck (as long as you don't show anyone cards, that is explicitly against the rules)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan W
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ranapuer wrote:
Excellent.

At this point, I'll also reveal that it was I who tried this move the other day, except I was totally lying about having seen all three Contessas (I saw two). As soon as I said this, multiple players jumped on me for cheating, saying "you're not allowed to say that!" and "poor form." I think there are a lot of interesting applications in terms of telling the truth/lying about the deck (as long as you don't show anyone cards, that is explicitly against the rules)

Depending on how adamant there response was I'm sure you were feeling good about assassinating them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
ranapuer wrote:
Excellent.

At this point, I'll also reveal that it was I who tried this move the other day, except I was totally lying about having seen all three Contessas (I saw two). As soon as I said this, multiple players jumped on me for cheating, saying "you're not allowed to say that!" and "poor form."

So basically, they bought it hook line & sinker?

I think the only time this is would be an issue is if you didn't tell everyone at once. I'm assuming in a game like this that all discussion should be 'public'?

Or can you whisper lies in people's ears? That would be really evil!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clwe
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
ranapuer wrote:
At this point, I'll also reveal that it was I who tried this move the other day, except I was totally lying about having seen all three Contessas (I saw two). As soon as I said this, multiple players jumped on me for cheating, saying "you're not allowed to say that!" and "poor form."

Personally, I think that's a brilliant 'dick move' shame on the other players for being so uptight about it. I also feel they're wrong by saying it's cheating - Coup encourages this sort of behaviour from time to time, seeing as it requires a degree of bluffing. Plus (as others have said), you didn't show your cards anyway.

Word of advice - whatever you do, don't play BSG with these people...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I havnt tried it but it is very much in the spirit of the game and not against any rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent move. Those who objected obviously did not have Contessas. Else they would be quiet and staring at you with narrowed eyes.... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C
msg tools
ranapuer wrote:
Excellent.

To build on what others have said, this is completely within the rules since it only states you can't SHOW your cards. Lying about seeing cards would be in the same realm as claiming you have a card when using an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Wall
United Kingdom
London
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another caveat I would add is that if a player is eliminated from the game by losing all their influence it's then "good form" to also not divulge any information about what you have seen in the court deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Dong
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm confused. Let's say the player still has his two influences. If the player traded in his ambassador card, he would then draw two cards and select one of those two to keep, returning the other one to the deck. At the most, he could only have two contessas at once as nobody should have more than two cards in-hand at once. The other would be somewhere in the deck.

So how is he able to draw all three contessas?

Secondly, unless he actually did see all 3 contessa cards and still had to return one to the deck, it seems foolish to make a verbal claim, should one of the other players have a contessa card in hand also, they'd know he was lying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Medic Jesus wrote:
I'm confused. Let's say the player still has his two influences. If the player traded in his ambassador card, he would then draw two cards and select one of those two to keep, returning the other one to the deck. At the most, he could only have two contessas at once as nobody should have more than two cards in-hand at once. The other would be somewhere in the deck.

So how is he able to draw all three contessas?

Secondly, unless he actually did see all 3 contessa cards and still had to return one to the deck, it seems foolish to make a verbal claim, should one of the other players have a contessa card in hand also, they'd know he was lying.

"draw" all 3 is technically incorrect. At best, you'd have 1-2 in hand and then draw the other 1-2. You could just say that you saw all 3 Contessas, therefore no one else has one.

Perhaps someone would know you're lying (if they have one themselves) but the point is not to fool EVERYONE necessarily. If the other players fall for your claims, they might make a false move. And even if one other player had 1-2 Contessas... they might not know where the 2nd/3rd one is. So there is some doubt for them there as well. It's really no use knowing that you're lying... they still have uncertainty about your hand after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.