Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Varga
United States
Morris
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I'm not having any luck getting Twilight Struggle to the table. To drum up interest in Twilight Struggle amongst my friends, I was thinking of holding a communist-themed party. Here's some ideas:

1. Youtube is full of Soviet music.
2. I can sing the Paul Robeson English version of the Soviet Anthem; the DDR anthem, Auferstanden aus ruinen, is actually quite majestic.
3. I have CCCP and DDR flags. (I collect flags)
4. Vodka, no problem.
5. Russian tea.
6. I can read excerpts from Marx.

Yeah, I know this is sounding creepy, but what the heck, why not play up the theme, right? Any other suggestions?

Thank you,
bryan1650t
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You're going to need a sturdy catapult, because in Soviet Russia the Party throws YOU!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sessoms
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Super Genius, but not in the style of Mark Madden, Local sports idiot.
mbmbmbmbmb
You need Battleship Potemkin playing as well. It is a pretty good movie.. of course I also like Eisenstein so take that for what you will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevenson Junior
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Every comrade who's part of your congress meeting should publicly announce what did he/she do for the greater good of all workers and peasants of the world.
You should publicly vote for best and worst comrade in order to improve your party. Worst comrade will publicly accept his mistakes and struggle even further.

Publish video of the process here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of YouTube, try this Pandora channel that one of my friends put together. Less clicking and making sure that the music keeps going!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No large Soviet gathering is without huge pictures of important people, usually Lenin, Stalin, Marx, etc.

Also you need to make Borscht.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fish face
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make them queue for three hours before you let them in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Spreewald pickles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Phelps
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

No Communist Party is complete without Soviet-style ushanka hats.

And remember, the Proletariat is ALWAYS right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
I wonder if people in communist countries ever throw/threw capitalist-themed parties. e.g. listening to soulless pop music, wearing colorful clothes and stupid hairstyles, putting all sorts of wacky brand labels on their food, requiring that drinks and food be purchased on credit from the hosts, turning the linen closet into a debtor's prison, letting the price to use the toilet be determined by market forces, naked recitals of choice sections of The Wealth of Nations, drinking toasts to our corporate idols in logo form....you know, all the stuff that we do at parties that's considered "normal" to those of us that grew up under capitalist regimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Edwards
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soundtrack:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dirge the Troll wrote:
And remember, the Proletariat is ALWAYS right!

Make that LEFT!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
I wonder if people in communist countries ever throw/threw capitalist-themed parties. e.g. listening to soulless pop music, wearing colorful clothes and stupid hairstyles, putting all sorts of wacky brand labels on their food, requiring that drinks and food be purchased on credit from the hosts, turning the linen closet into a debtor's prison, letting the price to use the toilet be determined by market forces, naked recitals of choice sections of The Wealth of Nations, drinking toasts to our corporate idols in logo form....you know, all the stuff that we do at parties that's considered "normal" to those of us that grew up under capitalist regimes.

They can't afford to throw a party like that.

I stopped quoting Wealth of Nations the moment my host charged me to use the toilet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brody Lipperman
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
D6 Desparados
mb
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:

Not a capitalist party, but american themed ones are pretty funny

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/this-is-what-american-parties...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell R
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bryan1650t wrote:
Hi All,

I'm not having any luck getting Twilight Struggle to the table. To drum up interest in Twilight Struggle amongst my friends, I was thinking of holding a communist-themed party. Here's some ideas:

1. Youtube is full of Soviet music.
2. I can sing the Paul Robeson English version of the Soviet Anthem; the DDR anthem, Auferstanden aus ruinen, is actually quite majestic.
3. I have CCCP and DDR flags. (I collect flags)
4. Vodka, no problem.
5. Russian tea.
6. I can read excerpts from Marx.

Yeah, I know this is sounding creepy, but what the heck, why not play up the theme, right? Any other suggestions?

Thank you,
bryan1650t

Don't forget a memorial to the +100 million dead because of communism over the last century. In other words, yes, I find it creepy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Elsenheimer
United States
Howard City
MI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will everyone be donning their well-worn Army boots?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.