Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever since I bought this game and saw all the characters and the way their different rarities interact I got to thinking; it would be fun if some of these characters could take advantage of the powers from more than just 1 of their cards at one time.

So the variant idea I had was to assign a specific card to each level of a characters die. So every level you roll has different abilities and game effects.

For example. When I recruit Nightcrawler for my team during drafting I assign Fuzzy Elf to his level 1 face, Abandoned to his level 2 and Circus Freak to his level 3.
So when playing in the game if I roll his level 1 side and field him, that die gets his Fuzzy Elf powers.
And if I summon a level 3 Nightcrawler he will have his Circus Freak powers.

It adds a nice variety and also opens up some powerful combos for any character with an in play ability.

Take Doctor Strange. If you have one die in play at level 1, 2 and 3 on each turn you get to claim an action for free, get an action die from your bag and deal 2 damage when using said action.

If you had 2 different Colossus in play with his common and rare version faces active you could not only deal damage for all your higher level dice, but you will also spin his die up to help his other ability trigger.

I thought it would make for some added variety and some killer combos.

The immediate speed bump to overcome is the question of cost to recruit them. It is obviously unbalanced to pay 3 to buy a Gambit die and then roll a face that uses his 5 cost ability for example, so one fix is to always buy the die at its most expensive cost. Or perhaps split the average for recruit cost.

The idea just hit me so I thought I would see what other people think.
Any suggestions on refining this variant or does anyone have any other ideas on how to use multiple versions of the same character in a single game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wheels
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like a fun idea, although it might be a bit of a struggle keeping track of things (I know that the die faces are in front of you, but memorising the board state would be tough!).

While I won't be able to myself any time soon, I'd like to know if anyone tries it out and, if so, what they think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas P.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe, pay the cost of the next rarity card to upgrade it?

Nerfs super rares, and it's a tradeoff between buying extra dice or getting a possibly better die.

Think of it like upgrading weapons in RTS games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Trumbo
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this:

Put a die on each card for that character, with the most dice always on the highest cost card (so if you're playing four dice on three cards there would be one dice on each card plus another on the highest cost). When you buy a die, use the cost on the card to get the die.

Then, when you field that character, if there's still a die on the card matching the character level, pay +1 energy to field per die on the card. So you can buy a character for cheap and get the higher level, but it's going to be more costly to field.

For an example, because why not?: say you have Character X with three cards and three dice, one on each card. Cost to buy is 3, 4, and 5. You buy only the 3-cost before you draw the die, and roll it. It comes up as a level 2 character with a field cost of 1. Since there is still a die on the 4-cost card (2nd level) you must pay 2 to field it (1+1 die on the card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
Obligitory Smart-Ass Comment Here
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive thought from the start that it was a missed opportunity to not play more than one character card. Each card could have been a character power. You could have more characters with fewer powers or fewer characters with more powers. As it is, each character is very "magic-like" with only one power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the1jugg wrote:
Ive thought from the start that it was a missed opportunity to not play more than one character card. Each card could have been a character power. You could have more characters with fewer powers or fewer characters with more powers. As it is, each character is very "magic-like" with only one power.

That's an idea. You could play with the highest claim cost on top and just stack the other abilities underneath it leaving just the abilities showing. And you also have to obey the dice limit of the most restrictive card.

I think a simple point system would work. Like you have X points to design your team. It costs 1 point to buy a characters card. Then to buy a 2nd card it costs an extra 2. Then an extra 3 to get a third. So if I want an ultimate doctor strange it costs me 6 points.

The only concern I have with this is it may lend to some teams where instead of 8 characters, you only have only 2 mega powerful characters that you are playing with and it could really hurt the variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't remember eating corn!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love all these ideas in theory, but no matter which way you give one dice several powers, it seems to me that some characters are big winners and other characters are pretty much unchanged, because they are high cost for high impact already.

Black Widow does not need to be able to make an opponent level 1 when she comes into play and then also do 2 damage unless that opponent rolls down a character and then roll down any character who blocks (all for 2 cost) .

Green Goblin does not need to reroll sidekicks, directly damage you with them and then attack with them for extra damage.

and probably worst of all- Storm does not need to come into play, re-roll an opponent's character die, then reroll 2 more characters and deal up to 4 direct damage, then attack and reroll all of your opponent's dice and then on your turn, if she's still around, block and reroll yet another die.

I would suggest making all cards available for 1 or 2 characters on a team, and then changing the face to the most recently purchased version. Storm and Human Torch I see as the big winners here, as you can buy several of their dice for 2 and then upgrade to the higher cost, better version, but I think any version of using several different faces will create a situation where Storm does "too much."

If the play group is up for some experimentation, I think the fairest thing is to keep track of what characters have not been played for several sessions and give whatever power you choose to those characters exclusively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.