Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juraj Bilić
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
My proposal for selecting the main image for my board game Machina Arcana has been declined with following message:

"Cover is better as thumbnail
Smaller, not an upgrade."

From reading the comment, I really don't understand the reasons why the proposed image is declined. Can you please explain what must I do in order for you to accept the box image?

The image is:

Also, I have contacted one admin in order to get the response, and his reply is this:
yudp wrote:
"Admins have nothing to do with image approval
This is a user based system called GeekMod

I would recommend that you simply submit the picture again
I have no issues with it, and I would have approved it"

So, considering I can't propose the same image again, I have uploaded the same image, and if it is approved (although the rules clearly state that the image must not be the duplicate of the existing one) I will request to make it a main game image.

Please help me, I find it strange that as a publisher / project creator I can't setup the image of the game, but am destined to try and try again until the mercy of the users shines upon me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
In short: users (who are also the geekmodders) prefer cover front images as representative images. meeple
Here's a poll I created a while ago:

Poll
What kind of view do you prefer as a representative image for a game or version?
Side view
Front view
Component view
Other (explain below)
      251 answers
Poll created by PzVIE

(Here's the thread in case you're interested: What kind of representative image do you prefer?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilić
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I understand that geekmodders prefer, but is it really the final decision on them?

Browsing through the database there are tons (and I really mean tons) of representative images showing the box, so I really don't understand why I can't have the image of my liking (as a game creator / game owner)?

What must I do in order to have the picture of the box as a representative image?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Asipu wrote:
I understand that geekmodders prefer, but is it really the final decision on them?

Yes. That's the way BGG works and most users seem to be happy with that.

Asipu wrote:
Browsing through the database there are tons (and I really mean tons) of representative images showing the box, so I really don't understand why I can't have the image of my liking (as a game creator / game owner)?

I would say you can't because BGG is not your site. It's also not mine but if I'm at geekmod at the right time I can have a little vote on this. So can you meeple

Asipu wrote:
What must I do in order to have the picture of the box as a representative image?

As you already stated, you can upload the image again and again until finally you have that shot as a representative image. But then again, any other user can upload another image and let that have geekmodded as the new RI. And I'm pretty sure this will happen ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilić
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thank you for answering all my questions quickly and thoroughly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asipu wrote:

You're welcome, Juraj. meeple

And if you want my opinion: That front box shot which is the RI at the moment looks great. And you already uploaded a few fine images of your game (which is now on my "check that one out" list).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asipu wrote:
From reading the comment, I really don't understand the reasons why the proposed image is declined.

One (main) reason is that a small version of the representative image is used as thumbnail in lists. In most cases, the cover is much more recognizable in that format:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilić
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
Asipu wrote:

You're welcome, Juraj. meeple

And if you want my opinion: That front box shot which is the RI at the moment looks great. And you already uploaded a few fine images of your game (which is now on my "check that one out" list).

Much appreciated sir.
Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions regarding the game, I would be more than happy to assist you.

Although I may not agree with some of BGG's system design, I have only but respect for the best boardgame portal there is, and in the end run by passionate people in their free time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Asipu wrote:

When you make the representative image suggestion, add a geeknote: "I'm the designer and prefer this" and the modders are probably more susceptible to your suggestion.

Edit: but does the game really come in two boxes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilić
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Asipu wrote:

When you make the representative image suggestion, add a geeknote: "I'm the designer and prefer this" and the modders are probably more susceptible to your suggestion.

Edit: but does the game really come in two boxes?

No, wanted to show the front and back at the same time.
A valid point. blush

You guys managed to convince me that the best RI is the one that is currently used, so I will not delve on this matter any longer, really appreciate your responsiveness and support!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
mbmbmbmbmb
from my days as the Image Admin on RPGG and VGG

some users have played games with Representative Images (the Geek is a game site)

Geekmod tends to take a dim view of proposals to replace Representative Images

these proposals attract decline votes and many proposals get declined
as a user doing Geekmod, I tend to vote against these proposals for a new Representative Image

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
stargate wrote:

I too tend to decline RepImage proposals unless they are significantly better than the existing ones.

A game that does not yet have a representative image is another thing, but these tend to come from the designers themselves and generally are easy to decide to approve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
stargate wrote:

I too tend to decline RepImage proposals unless they are significantly better than the existing ones.

A game that does not yet have a representative image is another thing, but these tend to come from the designers themselves and generally are easy to decide to approve.

* I have admin approved rep image changes
to replace a box bottom or back cover images for a book
with the box top or front cover image
... Geekmod was voting no shake gulp

* if there a no current Rep Image, these proposals seldom get any decline votes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
Asipu wrote:
From reading the comment, I really don't understand the reasons why the proposed image is declined.

One (main) reason is that a small version of the representative image is used as thumbnail in lists. In most cases, the cover is much more recognizable in that format:

This exactly. The righthand image is much better than the lefthand image. A straight on view of the front cover doesn't waste space around the margins and presents the cover as largely and as clearly recognizably as possible in the given space, which is very important for small thumbnails, the "games I recently played" widget (e.g. see mine below), etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.