J Koor

Missouri
msg tools
mb
My friend and I just played the local heroes quest as the monk and rogue, and were caught off guard by how hard it was. Local heroes is the quest where there are no villains or henchman, just allies that you have to recruit.

Unfortunately for us, every "ally" we encountered was a high difficulty check in a skill that neither of us had, and because of this we ended up having to completely clear each location of cards in order to advance, and even the location closing requirements required skill checks that our classes couldn't pull off without burning through our decks. The last roll of the game came down to us winning, or my friend dying from lack of cards.

Did anyone else have trouble with this scenario? I looked it up and didn't see anything about it. I've been kind of annoyed by the lack of skills on the rogue, which is typically THE skill class. Instead, in this game, the rogue can't seem to do anything other than fight or occasionally encounter a barrier and pass it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first party to tackle it (Seelah, Harsk, Ezren) wasn't the best ever, but given the scouting abilities (innate for Seelah and Harsk, 2x Augury for Ezren), could save up the Blessings for when you knew an Ally was about to come up. Second and third parties, one featuring Lem (D10+5 at that point in Diplomacy I believe), other with Seoni (another Charisma based character) naturally had no issues whatsoever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kooreth wrote:
[...]I've been kind of annoyed by the lack of skills on the rogue, which is typically THE skill class. Instead, in this game, the rogue can't seem to do anything other than fight or occasionally encounter a barrier and pass it.
Do keep in mind that she's not 'a rogue' she's 'the iconic Pathfinder rogue' and as such has certain abilities, skills, background, and style. Her skill choices and abilities for the card game were chosen with that in mind.

One could easily create a rogue with nearly the same stats but instead have lower Strength, higher Charisma, remove Acrobatics +2 and add Diplomacy +2. But, then it wouldn't be Merisiel.

I don't recommend getting annoyed, because you're playing a character you didn't really make. Getting annoyed over something you didn't really have any control over will just cause you problems down the line.

When we play in the actual RPGs, creating our characters is a standard part of the game. We get to pick and choose skills and abilities. For the card game, out of the box, the 'standard part' of the game is picking one of the characters that's already 'pre-generated,' as opposed to making our own.

That being said, the rules do include information on how to make your own character. And there's a post on the forums somewhere (can't remember if it's here or over at Paizo) that expands on that to include how skill bonuses should be chosen. So you're more than free to take your knowledge of the game and create your very own character that better fits how you feel the rogue should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Water
Netherlands
flag msg tools
firedale2002 wrote:
And there's a post on the forums somewhere (can't remember if it's here or over at Paizo) that expands on that to include how skill bonuses should be chosen. So you're more than free to take your knowledge of the game and create your very own character that better fits how you feel the rogue should be.

Does anybody have a link to that information? I'd love to make my own characters, but lack insight in skill bonusses and possible roles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merisiel is a barrier busting machine. She'll need some blessings to help her with acquiring allies via Charisma checks, but there are some allies that will take other checks as well. If you can find it, the Crown of Charisma helps her nicely. And the Prison alone almost makes it worth having her in the group. Send her to the prison with Masterwork Tools and Crown of Charisma and you'll actually be disappointed if you encounter the villain early in the deck.

So, don't give up on Merisiel too quickly. You are playing the same combo my wife and I started with. They have quite a bit over overlap in terms of skills, but that is no reason you can't still be successful. We actually ended up playing 2 characters a piece for a total of 4. I'd really recommend trying that, since it makes so many more of the cards "desirable". With the combo you have now, no one will want any of the spells or any of the strength weapons. My wife is now Amiri and Merisiel while I play Ezren and Sajan. That has been huge fun and has left only the Divine spells as cards we won't think about keeping at the end of the scenario.

This forum is where the quanity and magnitude of skill feats was clarified a bit:
http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2r06w?Ruling-needed-Homebrew-cha...

Examining the iconcics also reveals that all but Lem and Kyra have their dice add up to 42. Lem and Kyra only have 40.

Powers are probably the trickiest part. I'd recommend trying to stick close to the types of things you see on the iconics. You can get feedback on the forums as well.

And of course, there will be more rogues in the class decks coming out this summer that you can choose from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Kooreth wrote:
I've been kind of annoyed by the lack of skills on the rogue...

I've been playing Sajan, so if you're annoyed that you only have four skills, imagine how those of us with just two skills feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew P
United States
Oak Creek
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the only adventure we ran out of time on as Ezren, Lem, and Merisiel up this point in the series. Ezren is built as a glass cannon with all attack spells, Lem is pretty all around, and Merisiel is a solo killing machine. This made me start considering that there might be more to building my character and card deck than killing monsters so I welcomed the variety.

The other thing that contributed to our initial failure was Lem accidentally summoning the Deamon of Sandpoint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
My first party to tackle it (Seelah, Harsk, Ezren) wasn't the best ever, but given the scouting abilities (innate for Seelah and Harsk, 2x Augury for Ezren), could save up the Blessings for when you knew an Ally was about to come up.

I'm not sure how Seelah's scouting ability is going to be of much help in this scenario. When she "scouts" an ally, it will have to go to the bottom of the location deck, since it is a boon. Isn't that counterproductive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, ally goes to the bottom, though more often than not, you'll not see an ally (esp. if you put her at a low-ally location).

To the poster who died on Sandpoint Devil, Ilsoari Gandethus (IIRC that's the ally's name who might summon the Sandpoint Devil) is perfect for Merisiel, if you fail to roll, just evade the Devil with her ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
Bertje wrote:
firedale2002 wrote:
And there's a post on the forums somewhere (can't remember if it's here or over at Paizo) that expands on that to include how skill bonuses should be chosen. So you're more than free to take your knowledge of the game and create your very own character that better fits how you feel the rogue should be.

Does anybody have a link to that information? I'd love to make my own characters, but lack insight in skill bonusses and possible roles.
Be careful. The character creation rules are not well defined and since the game is already quite easy (once you have some experience with it) it is easy to create characters more powerful than the ones that come with the game - which makes the game uninteresting to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Koor

Missouri
msg tools
mb
Thanks for the responses, guys!

I didn't mean to come off as overly critical, we're enjoying the game, I was just curious if we'd somehow picked a terrible combination of characters to play together, or if we'd just been incredibly unlucky with the allies that were placed in each deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.