Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Rules

Subject: dealing and being dealt damage when it is reduced rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Omnicron X the hero has an armour card that reduces damage of certain types. Then he has an equipment that lets him deal damage if he is dealt damage that is reduced by his armour. Does he get to trigger the DEAL damage effect if the damage DEALT to him is reduced to 0? I would think not, but wanted to know for sure. I assume this applies to all similar situations... like Tachyon's attack that deals 1 damage to all enemy targets, and those dealt damage are not able to deal damage till her next turn... They would actually have to lose health in order to be affected.

Thanks
Mateo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddy Hall
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exactly how we interpret it too. If damage is reduced to 0 then no damage is dealt. This game is very literal. If they wanted you to apply the effect always I would expect it to say Deal 1 damage each time Omnicron's armor reduces the amount of damage he would take. Or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are both correct!
But don't take my word for it, you can read the designer's answer right here!

EDIT: For a counter example see the wording on Stun Bolt
Quote:
Power: The Wraith deals 1 Target 1 Projectile Damage. Until the start of your next turn, reduce all Damage dealt by that Target by 1.

This card does not specify that the damage needs to be dealt to reduce the target's damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ashley
msg tools
I asked this same question about 2 weeks ago, but it wasn't printed. My problem was the difference between 'Takes' and 'Dealt' damage. Some cards reduce or stop damage being 'Dealt'. Others reduce, stop, redirect damage that has been 'Dealt'. It could be argued that in this case the damage was 'Dealt' but not 'Taken'. In the end I went with the simpler option of 'Dealt' and 'Taken' is the same. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rashley wrote:
In the end I went with the simpler option of 'Dealt' and 'Taken' is the same. Cheers!
I believe this is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.