Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Trying my hand at a huge Imperial ship. Simple patrol corvette rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ferlin Pomfrett
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
It so far is a bit over 11 inches long and a slim wedge with twin large thrusters. It is coming in at cheaper that the comparable sized ships and being mostly flat plates should hopefully be ok in wsf. But my question is, keeping in mind the Imp tendency to overkill with anything larger than TIEs. Are 6 quad cannon and twin 4 barrelled Deutschland (ww2) torpedo systens too muchmy new system is a joy but for some reason i am having isues with the sreenshot function but pics to come
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Millard
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial ship - Simple patrol corvette
einargosric wrote:
It so far is a bit over 11 inches long and a slim wedge with twin large thrusters. It is coming in at cheaper that the comparable sized ships and being mostly flat plates should hopefully be ok in wsf. But my question is, keeping in mind the Imp tendency to overkill with anything larger than TIEs. Are 6 quad cannon and twin 4 barrelled Deutschland (ww2) torpedo systens too muchmy new system is a joy but for some reason i am having isues with the sreenshot function but pics to come

Sa-weet! laugh Man, I can't wait to see the pics.

Is it on shapeways yet?

I would think you could add some dual turrets; are the quads supposed to be lasers, or turbolasers? Subject to interpretation??

Tell me more; that teaser above was like 1/2 a potato chip.... soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferlin Pomfrett
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Work in progress. keep in mind the hull is completely undetailed at this time.
May replace the forward sensor array with a tractor beam or ion cannon, i would like opinions on that. I like the central turrets being quads but i might make the port and starboard turrets twins. it would be cheaper model wise and when one is building something this big anytime one can cut material cost is good.
I would have liked to have made it wider but that just doesnt work. the wedge just gets expensive very quickly, though i find myself liking the sleeker look as i go on. with the big thrusters it should be a fast ship. I want to make sure i keep it under the bsse cost of the Tantive not because i want to be cheaper than FFG i just dont want it to be beyond reach

http://lorelei-shipyards.tumblr.com/post/87644390731/asp-imp...

as always i am open to suggestions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Millard
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial ship. Simple patrol corvette
einargosric wrote:
Work in progress. keep in mind the hull is completely undetailed at this time.

Looks really promising - I like the 'quasi-Star Destroyer' wedge shape.

einargosric wrote:

May replace the forward sensor array with a tractor beam or ion cannon, i would like opinions on that.

I'd suggest leaving basically as is, but instead pull the 'radar dish' off the top/bridge area. You could then move the 'globular doohickey' [?shield generator?] to it's place maybe.

It appears there is already a 'big gun tube' in the front next to the radar dish, yes?

einargosric wrote:

I like the central turrets being quads but i might make the port and starboard turrets twins. it would be cheaper model wise and when one is building something this big anytime one can cut material cost is good.

That also sounds reasonable; the big inner quads could be turbolasers, the outer duals 'normal' lasers for ship defense/anti-fighter work.

And the torpedo 'turrets' - kiss - magnifique!

einargosric wrote:

I would have liked to have made it wider but that just doesnt work. the wedge just gets expensive very quickly, though i find myself liking the sleeker look as i go on. with the big thrusters it should be a fast ship. I want to make sure i keep it under the bsse cost of the Tantive not because i want to be cheaper than FFG i just dont want it to be beyond reach

How about:

a] remove torpedoes from either side; replace with dual laser turrets
[or just surface details - save $$];
b] remove top radar dish, move dome forward to the dish's
former position;
c] put one of those bad boy torpedo mounts behind the bridge area

Keep up the good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferlin Pomfrett
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
The thing next to the forward radar was just a sensor. im not overly happy with those so i think im going to stick with the rear dish and make the forward point either tractor or ion. the port and starboard guns are going to be twins and i like your suggestion of a rear torpedo tube. i was actually toying briefly with replacing the ventral turrets with the torpedo tubes but while i think it would look groovy i think that is my love of WW2 battleships talking and probably wouldnt look quite right for an imperial ship. Or then i could put one torp system on the bottom and rear and replce the side ones with ion mounts leaving the front for a tractor...tell you what *L* once i detail the hull ill do a few variations and see which people prefer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferlin Pomfrett
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Quick question.does anybody know what the comparative size of a TIE would be in this scale. i was toying with replacing the lower ventral turret with a bay to carry two or three TIEs but not sure how much depth that would require in this scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Miniatures
Spain
flag msg tools
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/Mel_Miniatures
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldnt recomend it. My Pirate Frigate was 14 inches long and as you can see in this image it would look weird if any fighter could fit inside it.

If you want to make it able to carry fighters I would recomend doing something of the style of the Gozanti Crusier. Carrying them on the outside (with the a peg that could fit a fighter)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Poppie
msg tools
einargosric wrote:
Quick question.does anybody know what the comparative size of a TIE would be in this scale. i was toying with replacing the lower ventral turret with a bay to carry two or three TIEs but not sure how much depth that would require in this scale.
You read my mind was thinking of that but external, maybe some way to mount existing FFG tie model upside down on pegs externally
Like a 2mm x 2mm x whatever piece
or pegs with 1/8th inch hole 2mm tall will clear Tie wings. Hope Ideas help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh, interesting.

The Quad turrets look... wrong. Historically speaking, anything with a layout like that was 20mm, maybe 30mm at most, which means those weapons should be no bigger than the big guns on a Lambda, and that's a lot smaller than you want. I think it'd look a lot more like a capital ship if you had all four on the same level, comparable to a WWII battleship or cruiser. Then make the outboard mounts smaller, 2-barrel mounts.

I also don't like the missle tube thingys, they're way too big and just look odd. Imperial ship design seems to keep the weapons in the same plane, too. Actually, thinking about it - use that shape for your centreline weapons, and use the other turret, shrunk by about 25%, for your outboard turrets. Bear in mind that the small guns on the CR90 are still considered to be anti-ship turbolasers; an anti-starfighter quadlaser might well be too small to print.

The dish antenna looks a bit out of place, since all the official capital ships use rectangular or box antennas. But it does work. If you like the dish, keep it. You might want to consider raising the sensor globe/shield generator so it's all the way out of the hull, though, to stay consistent with the Star Destroyers.

I guess the biggest thing to remember is that you want this to look good with the CR90, and that ship is almost 1/400 scale. On that ship, the Twin Turbolasers are about 17mm long and 1.5mm thick; the single turbolasers are about 5mm long (just the barrel part) and less than 1mm thick. I know you run into printing limits, but if the guns on this thing are too big, it'll look bad, and we don't want that!

I love the basic design. Just remember how small real guns are compared to real ships, and please please please make it look reasonable and not like something from Warhammer 40K.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferlin Pomfrett
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Funnily enough i was thinking of just that i've already made the guns on port and starboard into twins and im looking at having the torpedo systems ventrally mounted. Though the Trade federation cruiser from phantom menace (it hurts to even write that) had 4 barrel turrets.
I'm experimenting with an internal bay so the issue of the TIE scale will not matter. one can just say im launching 2 TIEs and place them on the board. The 4 barrel torpedo/concussion missile launcher was a request but i like it and sadly since there isnt a demand for World War 2 style spaceships (though once Yamato 2199 gets worldwide distribution who know that might change and i will be happy ) i take what i can get *L* since we rarely get to see Imp ships of this scale i think i have a bit of leeway to experiment.
Or i suppose if it doesnt increase the price by an awkward amount i could include the optional parts for either twin turrets or torp tubes. the gun barrels are only the slightest bit thicker than the minimun 1mm, the ribs along them increase the thickness just enough to make them printable, and the length isnt much more than those on the corvette

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferlin Pomfrett
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
update. still far from complete but getting there

http://lorelei-shipyards.tumblr.com/post/87885053856/asp-con...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferlin Pomfrett
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
nearer to completion

http://lorelei-shipyards.tumblr.com/post/87957368241/asp-fri...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Millard
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'Asp' Imperial ship
einargosric wrote:

Looking good!

Curious: what is the size of the dual laser turrets? Not the same as on the Rampart cutter, is it?

I must say, I *really* liked your quad laser turrets, sad to see they all went away. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Millard
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vagabond Elf wrote:

I also don't like the missle tube thingys, they're way too big and just look odd.

While I disagree on the 'look' of the missle tube quads[I love them], I must agree on this point: they do NOT really fit as an 'Imperial'-style ship. They'd be cool on a Corvan Frigate though!

Vagabond Elf wrote:

The dish antenna looks a bit out of place, since all the official capital ships use rectangular or box antennas. But it does work. If you like the dish, keep it. You might want to consider raising the sensor globe/shield generator so it's all the way out of the hull, though, to stay consistent with the Star Destroyers.

I agree on the Icosahedron-like shield generators; I would think that would look better than a dish antenna. If you really want a 20th century-style antenna, at least make it more like the one you used on the Corellian Patrol Cutter, or one of the smaller, fast rotating jobbers you see on current day craft.

Suggest more twin turrets, maybe one ventral, two dorsal, and - sadly - lose the torpedo mounts on this ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferlin Pomfrett
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
the turrets are based on those of the Rampart but not the same size. I could replace the torp tubes with turbolasers easily enough, although if one looks at the turbolasers on the ISD they kind of look like the torp launchers on this ship so there is a precedence. Of course i designed them to be used on the Corvan Gunship so maybe i should stick with my original thoughts.
Personally i like the dish array but am very amenable to change. Maybe i should get my vintage fix with that and make them similiar to a WW2 battleships. The more angular look might work better for an Imp ship anyway At this stage in the construction the only things i cannot alter are the bridge hull and engines (which is admittedly most of it *L*) all the weapons and such are open to change. Feel free to suggest away, this is why i post in progress stuff.

Oh and i was cleaning out my old computer to transfer stuff to my new and came across the original pen sketch of the Ravenheart from a loooong time ago before i had settled on the look of Corvan Tech. It is quite similiar but at the time i didnt even have a 3d modelling program and by the time i did the look had changed. But i find myself still liking it and was thinking of making a version of it as one of the later Corvan/Rebel alliance crossover designs. Opinions?

http://lorelei-shipyards.tumblr.com/post/87969014866/orginal...

Oh yes. onr more thing i cant remember f i mentioned i will be ditching tumblr for deviantart since on DA one can sort ones galleries. the link is

http://loreleistation.deviantart.com/

it will be easier for me to post updates etc there i think. and one will not have to wade through my Trek, Yamato, Retro rockets etc stuff (unless one wants to of course *L*)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Millard
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asp design
einargosric wrote:
the turrets are based on those of the Rampart but not the same size. I could replace the torp tubes with turbolasers easily enough, although if one looks at the turbolasers on the ISD they kind of look like the torp launchers on this ship so there is a precedence. Of course i designed them to be used on the Corvan Gunship so maybe i should stick with my original thoughts.

How difficult would it be to move the larger 'wing' turrets to in line turrets, say 2 dorsal / 1-2 ventral along the centerline?
You could then have several 4-8 smaller twin turrets on either wing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Winter
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not completly happy with it.

The turret wine-barrels still look wrong. I would rather go with a tube sticking out from the side and putting a quad or twin-laser there, similar to the lasers on the Tantive

http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Fichte...

http://www.expanded-universe.eu/2012/07/order-66-productions...

But instead of having those tubes on top I would have them on the sides.

Another option would be having the emplacements on the hull on the top- and bottom of the edge where they are now and getting rid of the wine-barrel. Drwa them out from the center line to where the wine-barrels are and it will look great.

Not so happy with the torpedo-launchers, too. Torpedoes don´t really need to be aimed since they have their steering built-in, so some tubes that are flush with the hull would be much nicer. Like the torpedo-launchers on contemporary submarines.

Engines look good, but I would add 2-4 smaller emergency/steering engines like the other wegde-shaped ships have them.

Radar-dish does not really fit the sleek style. I would rather have two smaller ball-turrets in echelon left and right behind the bridge to capture the iconic arrangement.

All my suggestions go towards a more wedge-shaped design the empire was so fond of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferlin Pomfrett
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
wouldnt be too hard but would involve more material and therefore add more to the price

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferlin Pomfrett
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
replaceing the 'wine barrel' would be easy enough but with the guns on an angled hull it might involve mre sport material and i will have to see how that affects the cost

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Winter
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually all my changes would make it cheaper, not more expensive.

> Regarding the side guns.

Step 1: Remove the gun wine-barrels.
Step 2: take a hexagon approx. 1,5x the diameter of the barrel, half it in two pieces and put on both sides the halves where the wine-barrel was.
Step 3: now extend the angeld upper and lower hull to the edges of the hexagon. youve got now some kind of hexagon bulge to the sides of the ship.
Step 4: Put guns on top and underside of that hexagon bulge.

I hope that´s more clear.

http://www.dcmstarships.com/artwork%20repository/Space%20Ope...

A little bit like this but with a hexagonal extrusion from the hull instead of just placing it on top and bottom of the existing hull.

> The material safed from the wine-barrles and the parabol on top of the bridge could go into the sensor-domes in left and right echelon behind the bridge and the sub-engines on the rear (need only be some rings)

> Torpedo tubes

Different design style, but you see how the tubes are flush with the hull:

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/0080/jukon.jpg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
einargosric wrote:

I'm liking the look!

For me, the barbettes (which is the proper name for an armoured tube supporting a weapon) look fine, but a more angular, hexagonal shape would probably work too. The only change I'd really make would be to make the 4-tube "missile launchers" into 4 barrel turbolasers instead. Even on the 1/270 ships a missile tube is too small to show (the X-Wings have the cutouts, but the tube itself isn't modeled) so anything on a 1/400 capital ship is going to be tiny. A missile turret shouldn't have exposed barrels anyway, just a box with hatches on the end - the missile doesn't need the guidance or velocity that a shell does, and so doesn't need a barrel.

A less "necessary" change would be to remove the aft weapon station (the wing mounts can shoot backwards just fine) and restore the ventral station.

I can't see how this thing would have TIEs in it anywhere. There needs to be room for the powerplant! And fighters take a lot of space. An Eisenhower-class carrier has approximately 947 cubic metres of hangar space per aircraft! That's a cube roughly 10m or 35 feet on each side. That's a massive amount of space inside the hull. And okay, sure, a TIE needs less space than an F/A-18, but not a lot, because they still need room to move inside the hangar, fuel cells, repair facilities - and a TIE needs a docking clamp and cranes to move it around inside, which an F/A-18 doesn't.

Of course, the advantage of the closed door is I can treat it as, say, the ejection panels for the power core, rather than a hangar bay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mitservices wrote:

I agree on the Icosahedron-like shield generators; I would think that would look better than a dish antenna. If you really want a 20th century-style antenna, at least make it more like the one you used on the Corellian Patrol Cutter, or one of the smaller, fast rotating jobbers you see on current day craft.

One thing I do like about the dish: it suggests that not all Imperial ships are made in the same shipyard - even if they're the same class, different yards will have different details. Consider the differences between a Flower-Class corvette built in Kingston, Montreal, Porstmouth or... the shipyard in Scotland who's name I've just blanked on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks great!

I love it all , except the wine barrels do protrude a bit much for my taste. Did you consider moving them inboard a bit?

Also.. this is going to sound dumb.. but the way that the angular central area intersects the back of the flared wings, creates a flaring shape that is quite sleek and elegant. It's where the main hull "box" tapers back towards the engines. IMO that looks a bit out of place on what I'd think of as a utilitarian Imperial ship.

I wonder if it wouldn't feel less like a flaring fin detail if the front of the main hull box tapered in a similar fashion rather than with the 'three' ramps that you've got going on right now.

Anyways great work, keep it up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Millard
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Torpedoes on the ASP...
AndreMW wrote:

> Torpedo tubes

Different design style, but you see how the tubes are flush with the hull:

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/0080/jukon.jpg

Ok, for those who haven't figured it out, I sort of 'egged him on' with the torpedo tubes. blush

I didn't think he would use them in an Imp design, was thinking a Corvan ship, really...

We both like some of the cool designs in WWI / WWII ships, and I'd suggested something like the mounts on the rear of the Deutschland-class 'pocket battleship' would look good:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutschland_class_cruiser

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Winter
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, would look better with an Rebel ship, imperial ships are somehow more elegant wegdes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.