20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: 25 FPS for the win! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
It's a testament to the greatness of Fallout: NV and Skyrim that even though they're always running at less than 25 FPS, locking up at load screens, or randomly crashing, I still thoroughly enjoy playing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really need to pick up new vegas one of these days... have to go see what it's going for on steam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
I really need to pick up new vegas one of these days... have to go see what it's going for on steam.

According to price trends, the game has dropped as low as $2.50 on Steam. Wait for the annual summer sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
braveheart101 wrote:
It's a testament to the greatness of Fallout: NV and Skyrim that ... I still thoroughly enjoy playing them.

I loved Fallout 3. It was my first video RPG. I played all the DLC as well. For some reason I decided to create a character who was physically the opposite of me. Thus...

And I've been fighting like a girl ever since. Both my main Skyrim chars are women.

And in Defiance

Well except in New Vegas, where the character looks kinda like me kinda a little. No pix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fallout 3 is awesome. Fallout: New Vegas is awesome too, but a different kind of awesome.

Fallout 3 has you really engaged with the character you are playing. Fallout NV: does not have that character immersion, but the world is much better constructed, and you can actually influence what happens in the world to a much greater extent.

You need both games.

With DLC (though you might want to avoid the spaceship DLC for Fallout 3, and the Dead Money DLC for New Vegas. Not only do both of these SUCK, but when you have started them, you HAVE to finish them before you can continue with the main game. And they are looooooong.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:

With DLC (though you might want to avoid the spaceship DLC for Fallout 3, and the Dead Money DLC for New Vegas. Not only do both of these SUCK, but when you have started them, you HAVE to finish them before you can continue with the main game. And they are looooooong.)

Hmmm - can install, but not play it, or something? I was planning on getting one of the steam all-inclusive bundles, which I believe contain both of those.

Eh, there's probably a steam checkbox somewhere to let me install everything but that one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
scribidinus wrote:
braveheart101 wrote:
It's a testament to the greatness of Fallout: NV and Skyrim that ... I still thoroughly enjoy playing them.

I loved Fallout 3. It was my first video RPG. I played all the DLC as well. For some reason I decided to create a character who was physically the opposite of me. Thus...

And I've been fighting like a girl ever since. Both my main Skyrim chars are women.

And in Defiance

Well except in New Vegas, where the character looks kinda like me kinda a little. No pix.

Heh, I tend to prefer playing as women in RPGs as well. I mean, come on, Femshep is a total badass - there's a reason I named mine Ripley.
My main NV characters look like hispanic Jennifer Lawrence and macho Will Wheaton.

And BTW, I loved Dead Money! So there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never finished a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game. I get bored after a few hours of walking to somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Fallout NV: does not have that character immersion, but the world is much better constructed, and you can actually influence what happens in the world to a much greater extent.

It's true. I got to a major decision pathway and had an attack of indecisiveness. I've not gotten back to the NV story line but one of the DLC was a drag. I do play NV in the mode where one has to eat, drink and sleep and one does not heal by sleeping. It increases my immersion even when it's a PITA.

I wish FO3 and Skyrim had that option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
braveheart101 wrote:
It's a testament to the greatness of Fallout: NV and Skyrim that even though they're always running at less than 25 FPS, locking up at load screens, or randomly crashing, I still thoroughly enjoy playing them.

Are you playing on console? It seems like console gamers spend an inordinate amount of time stressing over the framerate of games. On ShackNews, back when I frequented the site, you'd always see people asking "Uh, is it running at 30 FPS?"

In fairness, way back in the early days of videocards and PC gaming, I worried about it a lot more. Not so much anymore, thankfully.

If you're playing on PC you could consider an upgrade as most videocards now have cheaper versions that still work pretty darn well at high resolutions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sidenote - shouldn't this be posted at VGG instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:

Why? This is Chit Chat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:

Perhaps this will be a source of ire for some, but I always create female characters. I figure if I'm staring at a butt, virtual or not, for 100+ hours it won't be male.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
wytefang wrote:

Why? This is Chit Chat.

I've been thinking about starting a "Do You Fight Like A Girl?" thread in VGG but haven't overcome the inertia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Defiance char bears a strong resemblance to my regular cultural companion. Especially the hair color and style. I was playing her in a group with my sons and one of their friends and I was wearing something the rebel journalist mission reward out fit. It's low cut. And the friend said, "I can't take my eyes off your Dad's tits." It was awkwardly funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
locusshifter wrote:
scribidinus wrote:

Perhaps this will be a source of ire for some, but I always create female characters. I figure if I'm staring at a butt, virtual or not, for 100+ hours it won't be male.

This is word-for-word what some of my other gaming buddies have said, especially in re: Mass Effect. We men can be sad, sad creatures.

wytefang wrote:
braveheart101 wrote:

Are you playing on console? It seems like console gamers spend an inordinate amount of time stressing over the framerate of games. On ShackNews, back when I frequented the site, you'd always see people asking "Uh, is it running at 30 FPS?"

In fairness, way back in the early days of videocards and PC gaming, I worried about it a lot more. Not so much anymore, thankfully.

If you're playing on PC you could consider an upgrade as most videocards now have cheaper versions that still work pretty darn well at high resolutions!

I'm playing on a standard-issue Dell Latitude D630 laptop. My CPU is typically only running at 20% to 50%-70% tops,, so I'm good there. But I definitely need a better videocard - all I've got is an NVIDIA Quadro NVS 135M. I've heard good things about the Nvidia 570, so I might install that plus 2 more GBs of RAM (only have 2 right now).

Of course, I'm perfectly content playing all of my games at the lowest graphics settings, so the 570 might be waaay overkill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
Hmmm - can install, but not play it, or something? I was planning on getting one of the steam all-inclusive bundles, which I believe contain both of those.

Yes, you can install them.

The Dead Money DLC can be avoided if you want; you simply do not travel to the starting location and you're good. Someone above recommends Dead Money, though, so you might wish to give it a shot. But I recommend that you make a separate save before you start it up, because after 5 hours in Dead Money I wished I could break it off, but I had to suffer through 10 more hours of that garbage.

Compared to the Fallout 3 spaceship DLC, Dead Money is pretty good, though. That spaceship DLC is incredibly boring. And the problem is that you are dragged into that spaceship without the ability to stop it. So what can I say? If you get dragged into that ship, save, return to the last autosave before you boarded, save again there so that you have a spot to return to, then see whether you like the DLC better than I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
wytefang wrote:

Why? This is Chit Chat.

Because we have an ENTIRE SITE devoted to this hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
locusshifter wrote:

In a similar vein, I tend to make characters with no features which are difficult to model realistically. If I'm going to be staring at the back of a head for a full game, I'd rather it be a realish-looking shaven head than a badly-rendered haircut which ought to move but doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.