Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say

"Robots never challenge each other in a contest.
In a corner, a robot participates in a contest only to overtake a player in front of it or to defend itself from a player behind it that declared a contest."

If I'm in last place in a corner section with 2 other robots in front of me, if I declare a contest, will both of them participate (thereby letting one pass the other potentially, even though they "never challenge each other") or will only the one in the lead try to participate (which means the middle robot won't "defend itself")?

Those two passages seem to be completely contradictory, and I'm not sure which is right...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
The rules say

In a corner, a robot participates in a contest only to overtake a player in front of it or to defend itself from a player behind it that declared a contest."

If I'm in last place in a corner section with 2 other robots in front of me, if I declare a contest, will both of them participate (thereby letting one pass the other potentially, even though they "never challenge each other") or will only the one in the lead try to participate (which means the middle robot won't "defend itself")?

Those two passages seem to be completely contradictory, and I'm not sure which is right...

In such a three-way contest, each of the two robots is "defending itself from a car (yours) behind it". At least, that's how I reconcile those two statements.

If I understand the designer's intention correctly (big if), then the circumstance under which non-lapped robots do not contest at all would be when they are the only cars in a corner segment. That, at least, is how we've been playing it, and it would be nice to have official clarification from Alessandro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Flood
United States
Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I interpreted it as Darrell did also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
rahdo wrote:
The rules say

In such a three-way contest, each of the two robots is "defending itself from a car (yours) behind it". At least, that's how I reconcile those two statements.

If I understand the designer's intention correctly (big if), then the circumstance under which non-lapped robots do not contest at all would be when they are the only cars in a corner segment. That, at least, is how we've been playing it, and it would be nice to have official clarification from Alessandro.

Yeah, that's my assumption as well, but still, the rules as written give no real indication and could be interpreted either way...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I think about this, the less inclined I am to think it can be interpreted any other way.

The nagging point is that "robots never challenge each other in a contest."

However, robots in a corner with human cars are not exactly challenging each other - they are challenging (or being challenged by) humans. After all, regardless of which way you read that statement, a robot car in a corner with human cars is going to draw a chit, and compare its move value to those of the others in that corner. That means that the only aspect left still in question is whether or not the robot cars change position in relationship with each other, and assuming "no" is the answer to that, then you end up with a paradox - a robot car with a higher contest value than a human car ahead of it, yet not being able to move up because there is another robot car between it and the human car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FORMULA 90 PARADOX!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Lala
United Kingdom
Weston-Super-Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
badge
Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.
mbmbmbmbmb
No paradox.
Once a contest is triggered and robots defend then the contest is resolved for all of them according to the rules. So a robot can overtake another robot as result of a contest. The key point is that the contest in this case was triggered by a human, not by a robot.
The principle behind the rule is that we don't want robots to play alone I.e. The game playing itself. There is no fun in that.
See also the FAQ in the files section. Everything should be well clarified there (if not, let me know).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.