Subject: An Official Update on Glenn Drover's Empires: Age of Discovery rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

We are all really excited about the new edition of Glenn Drover's Empires: Age of Discovery that is coming out. I am part of a committee of ten or so BGG users that are helping to bring this edition to life. This committee is being chaired by Rick Soued (CEO of Eagle Games) and also includes Glenn Drover (the designer of E:AoD).

As anticipation increases, we thought it would be nice to share some of the process with you thus far and reveal a few of the details behind this new edition:

- The board graphics are being done by a new artist. While most of the details are still being worked on, we can reveal now that Regions WILL be larger! No more cramming your colonists!

- Every single question ever asked on BGG has been documented and answers are currently being approved by Glenn Drover himself. While a FAQ may be a necessary part of the new edition, it is our hope that the revised rulebook will be clear enough that a FAQ can be contained to one sheet.

- From the responses we've had so far, one message that has come through loud and clear is that the rules are fine as they are and nothing major (rules wise) needs to be changed. The fact that E:AoD still currently lies in the Top 100 games on BGG, seven years after its first publication, is a testament to the fact that Glenn Drover got it right the first time! That being said, a very few minor changes are being explored and a workable 2-player variant is being developed so that the game is still enjoyable between partners. Also, a number of small rule variants will be included in the rulebook for those who are looking to change up the game every now and then.

- Development is still ongoing, but it looks like player boards will be introduced. This should help players keep track of their game, while keeping the board uncluttered with the extra information we would like players to be able to access while they play.

- We are considering how VPs are recorded, and whether a score track is still the way to go or if there are better options out there.

- Capital Buildings are being looked over so that the wording is clear on each. We are also looking into whether a few new ones should be added.

- We have no firm release date as of yet. At this point, every aspect is still in the development phase. It would be unfair to gauge when the new edition will be available considering how many more stages in the creation process are still to come. But as soon as it is fair to make an assumption on the release date, we will post it here.

We are looking to keep the BGG community informed as developments are happening as we are all very excited about what is to come and we hope you are excited as well. Thank you for continuing to check back and we hope to deliver the best new edition that we can!

Adam Allett
E:AoD Committee Member

Rick Soued
CEO, Eagle Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: An Official Update on Glen Drover's Empires: Age of Discovery
Adam,

Thanks so much for the update! A 2-player variant would be a great edition.

Has any consideration gone into fitting the game into a smaller box? As someone with limited shelf space, the size of the original AoE III was one of the reasons I got rid of it.

Thanks for all of your work and looking forward to seeing the finished product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the wonderful news! A few quick things:

freechinanow wrote:

- The board graphics are being done by a new artist.

Not that they were perfect, but I actually liked the original graphics, and it was one of the initial things that drew me to the game.

freechinanow wrote:
While most of the details are still being worked on, we can reveal now that Regions WILL be larger! No more cramming your colonists!

Wow! How much bigger is that going to make an already large board?

freechinanow wrote:
...a very few minor changes are being explored and a workable 2-player variant is being developed so that the game is still enjoyable between partners.

As is, I think it works quite well with two players. The only "drawback", if one can even call it that, is that you end up with so many territories barely touched, if at all, by players.

freechinanow wrote:
- Development is still ongoing, but it looks like player boards will be introduced. This should help players keep track of their game, while keeping the board uncluttered with the extra information we would like players to be able to access while they play.

That is great! Players would certainly benefit from that.

Looking forward to your finished product, folks! Splendid news, indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally understand if these can't be answered, but I thought I'd ask...

I currently own the base game, expansion, and promos. Assuming there are graphical changes to the tiles, etc, will these be made available again w/ the updated artwork or possibliy included in the base game?

I plan on purchasing the update even though I own it currently as this is one of my favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update. Makes me want to upgrade to the new version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also - please don't get rid of the money. The original money is awesome. I love the heft and feel of it. Adding $5 coins is fine if need be, please don't remove anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alenen wrote:
Also - please don't get rid of the money. The original money is awesome. I love the heft and feel of it. Adding $5 coins is fine if need be, please don't remove anything.

Yeah, five dollar coins would be a fantastic addition!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis O'Connor
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like I will be upgrading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
amacleod wrote:
alenen wrote:

I think we have simply counted the gold coins as $5... might be in danger of running out at higher player counts though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Omnigamer and Devourer of Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alenen wrote:

Original money can be slippery though. In our last game, I tried to grab a stack and it shot across the table. My preference is for cardboard counters, but it's not a very strong one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
amacleod wrote:
alenen wrote:

I think we have simply counted the gold coins as $5... might be in danger of running out at higher player counts though.

Yeah: we regularly do the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one of the committee members. There was some feedback on the coins in the forums, so they are being looked at as well. For example, some people prefer coins that stack, while others like the "authentic" design of the current coins. We're trying to leave no stone unturned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
I'm one of the committee members. There was some feedback on the coins in the forums, so they are being looked at as well. For example, some people prefer coins that stack, while others like the "authentic" design of the current coins. We're trying to leave no stone unturned!

AUTHENTIC DESIGN!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:

This sounds cheesy maybe but I like that the current ones don't stack. I like that I have to have a big messy pile of silver and gold dubloons in front of me. Makes me feel like an old timey pirate with a hoard of gold strewn about. Neat stacks are for bankers thank you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the coins too. I even spray painted them and also use them for Merchants & Marauders...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.J.
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess it is good I have held off on my Japan redesign... Will probably wait until the new stuff is all decided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rog
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great news!! thumbsup
Can't wait!!

alenen wrote:

This sounds cheesy maybe but I like that the current ones don't stack. I like that I have to have a big messy pile of silver and gold dubloons in front of me. Makes me feel like an old timey pirate with a hoard of gold strewn about. Neat stacks are for bankers thank you very much!

And I totally agree!!
Argh!! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Thanks so much for the update! A 2-player variant would be a great edition.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hardy
United States
Jacksonville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update! As someone who is a big fan of the original (but do not own it), I'd love to add this to my collection. A few points that will ensure I buy this upon release:

1) The miniatures are at least as good as the original (I liked them even though distinguishing them rarely was an issue).

2) The coins are at least as good quality as the original (GREAT quality of originals will be hard to replicate).

3) The Expansion is included (at least as an option).

I'm very much looking forward to this!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fregoso

La Spezia
Italy
msg tools
Black Metal Geek
badge
NO FUN - NO CORE - NO TRENDS - NO MOSH
mbmbmbmbmb
hardyworld wrote:
Thanks for the update! As someone who is a big fan of the original (but do not own it), I'd love to add this to my collection. A few points that will ensure I buy this upon release:

3) The Expansion is included (at least as an option).

I'm very much looking forward to this!!!

this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd really like to see the miniature more easily distinguishable and coins kept the same. The proposed changes I read sound good.

I'd also like to see box size revised and it be of better quality
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider a terminology change: "Capital Buildings" does not fit the nature of many of the tiles. Development tiles? Cultural Tiles? Could just needlessly annoy diehard players I suppose (though not this one..).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
any updates on this post or is the game a no go.
if it is still being re printed, is here a timescale and does it accomodate 6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
keighleyrob wrote:
any updates on this post or is the game a no go.
if it is still being re printed, is here a timescale and does it accomodate 6 players.

Hi Rob,

The new edition is still a go! Much of the artwork is being finalized at this moment and the new rule book is almost complete. I can't comment on a release date as it hasn't been finalized, but we're hoping to have a set date soon. Thanks for checking in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rog
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freechinanow wrote:
The new edition is still a go!
we're hoping to have a set date soon.

Great news to read on a Friday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.