Subject: Biggest guns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Errant Deeds
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A very simple question... What is the most powerful weapons upgrade, in terms of number of dice rolls?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raw value on the card its Transphasic Torpedoes or Cutting Beam (10). I've seen Energy Focusing Ship get up to 14 though (4 support ships).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yourmonkey06 wrote:
Raw value on the card its Transphasic Torpedoes or Cutting Beam (10). I've seen Energy Focusing Ship get up to 14 though (4 support ships).

Barrage of Fire can get pretty high as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Energy Focusing Ship - can go up to 14 dice in a 100 point environment as long as you're running the big ship plus 4 support ships

Transphasic Torpedoes - 10 attack dice with no requirement other than the standard Torpedo restrictions.

Cutting Beam - also has 10 attack, but requires you to set up the Borg Tractor Beam first (which can be awesome if it works, but can be rather tricky to use)

Barrage of Fire - can go up to 10 dice without any other modifiers, but requires a second high-attack ship to work.

Photon Torpedoes (Str 5 or 6 ship) - note that, as the rules currently stand, you either want to run these with a free reroll or a free action Battle Stations conversion, otherwise they are very bad.

Str 6 Primary Weapon ships (Borg Sphere, Jem'Hadar Battleship, and Bioship Alpha thus far, with the upcoming Cube adding into the mix soon.

After that is the standard range of ships and upgrades - some of which can combine to reach these levels, or which can definitely deal out an equivalent amount of damage with Target Locks and Battle Stations - but in terms of sheer number of dice rolled, these are the ones that top the list.

[edit] Out of curiousity, why are you asking? Usually, you'll want to know the expected damage rather than the number of Attack Dice rolled - and even than can change up a bit with the right setup (for example, Transphasics with JLP, Scotty, and Strike Force can get a single 13 die attack out - and Command Pips can get you a BS conversion or reroll on top of that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyatt Smith
United States
North Platte
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could get a Klingon Vor'cha or Negh'var to 9...
Base = 5
Gowron + 1 (second ship range 1-2)
Martok + 1 (third ship range 1-2)
Flagship + 1
Range One + 1
TOTAL = 9

Make it even scarier and have Worf captain so you can re-roll any blanks and have Drex as crew so any Battlestations count as crit/hits. All of that totals 53 points so you have 47 remaining for say a K'Vort and K'T'inga class for Gowron and Martok to command which would be rolling 5 or 6 dice themselves depending on range with some a blank re-roll off the flagship for each.

Downsides are...
1) Must fly as a fleet, no indi-action, however, Klingon ship dials all are pretty much the same so not that hard to do.
2) Action economy - you have to burn all actions on your 3 ships in order for it to go off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're after the biggest raw number of dice rolled in a single attack, here's about the best I can come up with on short notice:

U.S.S. Voyager (30)
Maxwell Burke (1)
Leonard McCoy (3)
Montgomery Scott (5)
Tuvok (5)
Transphasic Torpedoes (10)
Total (54)

Romulan Science Vessel (12)
Flagship: Independent (Klingon) (10)
Martok (7)
Total (29)

Donatra (4)
Total (16)

Fleet total: 99

Generated by Space Dock for Mac
http://spacedockapp.org

Transphasic Torpedoes (assuming a TL in place): 10
Discard Burke +2
Discard McCoy for Scotty +2
Disable Tuvok +1
Martok +1
Donatra +1
Martok's Flagship Buff +1

That's 18 dice altogether. There's probably some tweaks I'm missing, and maybe some situational cards (Antiproton Scan?) that would give a boost as well. But 18 dice is plenty.

EDIT: It should be noted this is probably a pretty impractical build. For one thing, after Burke is discarded, you'll probably be the last ship to fire, and with two shields down due to Scotty, you'll be lucky to get your shot.

EDIT 2: It probably doesn't need to be said, but this build is also (almost) bereft of any dice modding whatsoever. So you might get crazy lucky and roll 18 hits and crits, but odds are you'll maybe get about 9-10 (with Martok's re-roll). At that point you're better off looking elsewhere--Barrage of Fire, maybe, or Energy Focusing with a TL to spend. Heck, I think just ditching Burke and taking Worf instead will get you a far, far better result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that is a lot of potential pain wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles skrobis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Illyth wrote:
If you're after the biggest raw number of dice rolled in a single attack, here's about the best I can come up with on short notice:

U.S.S. Voyager (30)
Maxwell Burke (1)
Leonard McCoy (3)
Montgomery Scott (5)
Tuvok (5)
Transphasic Torpedoes (10)
Total (54)

Flagship: Independent (Klingon) (10)
Martok (7)
Total (29)

Donatra (4)
Total (16)

Fleet total: 99

Generated by Space Dock for Mac
http://spacedockapp.org

Transphasic Torpedoes (assuming a TL in place): 10
Discard Burke +2
Discard McCoy for Scotty +2
Disable Tuvok +1
Martok +1
Donatra +1
Martok's Flagship Buff +1

That's 18 dice altogether. There's probably some tweaks I'm missing, and maybe some situational cards (Antiproton Scan?) that would give a boost as well. But 18 dice is plenty.

EDIT: It should be noted this is probably a pretty impractical build. For one thing, after Burke is discarded, you'll probably be the last ship to fire, and with two shields down due to Scotty, you'll be lucky to get your shot.

EDIT 2: It probably doesn't need to be said, but this build is also (almost) bereft of any dice modding whatsoever. So you might get crazy lucky and roll 18 hits and crits, but odds are you'll maybe get about 9-10 (with Martok's re-roll). At that point you're better off looking elsewhere--Barrage of Fire, maybe, or Energy Focusing with a TL to spend. Heck, I think just ditching Burke and taking Worf instead will get you a far, far better result.

Needs Tribbles for the extra die

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charles_skrobis wrote:

Needs Tribbles for the extra die

Short a crew slot, though. Given 3 or so turns before firing, I suppose you could always get some from another ship (by not re-raising your shields after Scotty disables them, repeatedly).

I could always swap out Cyrano for Tuvok, but the net effect is the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.