Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myth is on sale today for 40% off 54 bucks...

IS this this is a tale tale sign of a DUD, going on sale so soon after release?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: MYTH on sale today at CSI??? tale tale signs of a dud??
atraangelis wrote:
Myth is on sale today for 40% off 54 bucks...

IS this this is a tale tale sign of a DUD, going on sale so soon after release?

I don't think it really indicates anything - all sorts of things end up in the CSI daily sales, even stuff that's presently very popular. A more permanent price drop would be more telling, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No, it's a dud. The same thing happened to Dark Darker Darkest if I remember correctly.

edit: Whoops, no, it was Krosmaster Arena. Went on clearance within just a few weeks after release at CSI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep it's a turd dud
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee ogre
msg tools
mbmb
A price like that makes me consider picking up a second copy, to support more lairs! cool

The 1st edition retail release has some quirks, just by reading these forum you can find discussions of many of them; be warned that some older threads are a bit choppy due to some folks deciding to remove their contributions to the discussion of the game.

I heard somewhere that the wholesale price of the retail release was around 50 bucks, so CSI putting it on sale for only 10% profit doesn't seem crazy, I imagine they want to clear out their existing stock before wave 2 arrives.

Before I do that, I need to knock out my foamcore storage solution, these minis are so nice I feel bad every time I pick up the box and they rattle around...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zogre wrote:
I heard somewhere that the wholesale price of the retail release was around 50 bucks, so CSI putting it on sale for only 10% profit doesn't seem crazy, I imagine they want to clear out their existing stock before wave 2 arrives.

I don't think Wave 2 is arriving all that soon.

I've also seen Myth at a few FLGS, deeply discounted to clear stock (it's a huge box; if it's not moving, you can't justify holding it).

While I'm happy many are enjoying the game, this really was a botched roll-out. There won't be fixed cards/manuals for quite some time, and the game is extremely difficult to play with just the materials in the box (or a casual disregard for wanting to play the game as designed instead of ad-libbing).

We'll see if MCG can bounce back with it; as of now, though, I think it's in "dud" territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Hackman
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark, Darker, Darkest is an excellent comparison (though that's been on sale for way more than 40% off). Both are games with some innovative twists on a well worn genre that were hit hard by poor rules and various Kickstarter issues such that the retail version of the game seemed hardly worth the rather high price even though many KS backers still enjoyed the game once they either house-ruled the problem areas or spent hours on BGG figuring out the rules.

It seems like in both cases if you read the forums and are prepared for what you are getting into and know that this type of game is up your alley, then you can benefit greatly from the publisher's missteps by getting a big game for a small price.

As far as Myth, I'm not going to pass my final judgement until wave 2 arrives. I think I could use some house rules to really enjoy what I have now, but I'll just wait until I have all the options and a printout of revised rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I wouldn't see it as a dud, I would read it as its not selling as much as they thought it would.

Not great.
But not horrible either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every one of these threads just adds to my happiness of having sold my pledge with the quickness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Schulteis
United States
Bourbonnais
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once it gets to 25-30 I will jump in on a couple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how much it says about the game itself, but certainly this current printing is a dud. Megacon has confirmed that they'll be revising the cards and rulebook for the game. That devalues the current printing of the game that has shipped without any of those improvements. If I were CSI, I'd be making sure that I had that old stock cleared out before the news spreads too much that it's better to just wait for the revised printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The Future is a Game
mbmbmbmbmb
The jillions of EBAY entries for this game makes me laugh - I wonder how many people jumped on the Kickstarter for this for the sole purpose of trying to flip the merchandise for a profit on EBAY. Better luck next time, guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cozzolino
United States
Lebanon
Virginia
flag msg tools
jhoratio wrote:
The jillions of EBAY entries for this game makes me laugh - I wonder how many people jumped on the Kickstarter for this for the sole purpose of trying to flip the merchandise for a profit on EBAY. Better luck next time, guys.

haha yeah
There is a 100 pledge up now with bids up to about 350. Sucks to be them huh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
breegull wrote:
I don't know how much it says about the game itself, but certainly this current printing is a dud. Megacon has confirmed that they'll be revising the cards and rulebook for the game. That devalues the current printing of the game that has shipped without any of those improvements. If I were CSI, I'd be making sure that I had that old stock cleared out before the news spreads too much that it's better to just wait for the revised printing.

I'm in that boat. I would have considered getting it for 40% off, but the fact that so many of the components are getting major overhauls (and I don't just mean the rules), it seems far better to wait. Buy messy rushed game for less now, or wait and spend more on a complete and superior product?

Also, OP, the phrase you were looking for was "tell tale" not "tale tale"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, the sale price is $54.99? Their regular price (or the price I have in my order history) is $59.99. This is not a huge markdown. It's just a daily sale to try and move a little more product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:

Also, OP, the phrase you were looking for was "tell tale" not "tale tale"

Doh..! fixed! ty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rokkon wrote:
FYI, the sale price is $54.99? Their regular price (or the price I have in my order history) is $59.99. This is not a huge markdown. It's just a daily sale to try and move a little more product.

Huh, that means the normal markdown is already higher than usual (~35%?). Aren't discounts on CSI typically 20-30%?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah! Wake me up when it gets down to $14.99.

Might be worth it for the miniatures at that price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:
rokkon wrote:

Huh, that means the normal markdown is already higher than usual (~35%?). Aren't discounts on CSI typically 20-30%?

I thought they were normally in the 35% range. The FFG LCG core sets are $27, down from $40.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
Montag451 wrote:
rokkon wrote:

I thought they were normally in the 35% range. The FFG LCG core sets are $27, down from $40.

Seems they're mostly 32-33% off. I don't buy tons from CSI, but I could have sworn the discounts used to be 20-30%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:
Montag451 wrote:
rokkon wrote:

Seems they're mostly 32-33% off. I don't buy tons from CSI, but I could have sworn the discounts used to be 20-30%.

Pretty stable at 30-35% last couple years for everything I've gotten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miniatures Market has the Tantive IV from X-Wing on sale today PLUS 10x Reward Points!!!! That game must really be in the gutter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Casteel
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davro33 wrote:
Miniatures Market has the Tantive IV from X-Wing on sale today PLUS 10x Reward Points!!!! That game must really be in the gutter!

I don't understand... something that sounded like reason on the Myth BGG boards? lol

Yeah, it's a sale guys (an extremely minor one at that), it happens... move along, nothing to see here. lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ebon Hawk
United States
Janesville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen some of the X-Wing miniatures on their daily sale for ridiculously low prices a couple of times. That games sales are terrible, especially now with the reduced tantive prices listed above!

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Petronius wrote:
I have seen some of the X-Wing miniatures on their daily sale for ridiculously low prices a couple of times. That games sales are terrible, especially now with the reduced tantive prices listed above!

shake

There are basically two reasons to put things on sale like this. One is to move slow selling stock that is taking up inventory space. The other is to create an impulse buy of an already well selling item in hopes of getting a filled out $100+ order that includes things which aren't on sale.

I think we can all guess which of those Myth is and which of those X-Wing is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.