Subject: Are friendly/enemy units blocking LOS/LOF? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sergi Morraja

Barcelona
Catalonia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suppose a LOS/LOF passing through friendy/enemy units at the same elevation as the attacker AND defender. Is this LOS/LOF blocked?
I'm not able to see any reference in the rules.
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on whether there is any other blocking terrain!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergi Morraja

Barcelona
Catalonia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JackFlash wrote:

Suppose there is no blocking terrain between attacker and defender, but there are enemy/friendly units. Is that LOS/LOF blocked by these units?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Millard
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Units do not block LOS/LOF.
sergi1916 wrote:
JackFlash wrote:

Suppose there is no blocking terrain between attacker and defender, but there are enemy/friendly units. Is that LOS/LOF blocked by these units?

No.

Basic rules, VII.B, first paragraph:
"If the straight line crosses any obstacle that blocks vision, then the line of sight/line of fire (or LOS/LOF) is blocked; if the straight line is free of obstacles then the LOS/LOF is clear, and the attacking unit has a clear view and clear shot at the defending unit."

Also, in VII.C, units are not mentioned anywhere as LOS/LOF Obstructions.

COWTRA - Concentrate On What The Rules Allow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergi Morraja

Barcelona
Catalonia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mitservices wrote:
COWTRA - Concentrate On What The Rules Allow.

I will remember it, while playing this game. Thankyou
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Clinton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Absolutely not.

None of these games from Avalon Hill (Panzer Blitz, Panzer Leader or AIW) block LOS for anything other than terrain and smoke (even wrecks do not entirely IIRCC).

A quick review of the actual game scale will clear up and reservations you may have as it is most likely larger than you envision with each unit representing a platoon or even a 1/2 company and each hex being 250 meters across.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McConnell
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Armored Combat: It's all about position and getting the first shot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a note on the actuality of firing through friendly units: it's called "Friendly Fire" and very few tactical games model it. If I was the platoon leader of a bunch of IDF Centurions, Shermans, M48s, or M60s, I would definitely NOT shoot through my own guys. So the rule is simplistic and friendly units should block Line of Fire (not LOS). But we must maintain "playability".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.