Subject: Ran out of chips/gems rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amelia Mouse
United Kingdom
Huntingdon
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
We ran out of chips on one of my husband's turns so he was forced to take one gold and reserved a card instead. Does this happen often? I couldn't see any mention in the rules as to what to do should this happen. I guess this was the only option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you making sure to enforce the 10 chip limit? That is, at the end of any players turn, no one may have more than 10 chips total?

did the math in my head, I think: I think that is possible, but probably bad play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it could happen, if every player had 10 chips in a 4 player game, but I've never seen it happen. On second thought, I guess if a couple people had 10 and everyone else just had 7 and 8 respectively you could only have Wild Chips left.

Just make sure that you are enforcing the 10 chip limit and I have a feeling you'll never see it happen again unless you try to replicate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. That hasn't happened to me yet.

The 10 chip limit tends to prevent this in the games I've played.

It sounds like your choice was the right choice though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amelia Mouse
United Kingdom
Huntingdon
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
Forgot to say - it was a two player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
amelia1730 wrote:

Yeah, it sounds like you may not be enforcing the 10 chip limit rule as the scenario you mention isn't possible in a 2 player game. It is possible in a 4 player but I haven't seen it yet (I've only played 4 times though).

With 2 players, there are 20 gem chips, plus the 5 gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wgerken wrote:
amelia1730 wrote:

Yeah, it sounds like you may not be enforcing the 10 chip limit rule as the scenario you mention isn't possible in a 2 player game. It is possible in a 4 player but I haven't seen it yet (I've only played 4 times though).

With 2 players, there are 20 gem chips, plus the 5 gold.

It certainly is possible in a 2 player game. Each player could have 10 gem chips and then one wants to take some more (presumably to discard other ones).

The ruling was correct: if the chips aren't there, you can't take them. Find a different action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Shilling
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules don't allow you to have more than 10 chips.

In a two player game there are 4 of each of the 5 different gems for a total of 20 so it should be possible for each player to have 10 each and none left in the supply (if you ignore the gold chips).

All my games have been 2 player so far and I believe that it has happened but more often than not there are at least one or two left at all times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amelia Mouse
United Kingdom
Huntingdon
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
As far as we were aware we stuck to the rule, unless we made a mistake. Strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl T
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also reminder - http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1170662/resolution-of-taking...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
S_Rapp_Asmodee wrote:
Assume, in a 2 player's game, the players have taken all gems of 3 colors. Together, they have now only 12 gems. Now, no player can take 3 different gems any more. Add one of each of the two remaining colors and no player can take 2 of one kind. So, with only 14 gems divided, no player can take more gems. They have to take a different action, take 1 gold or buy a card.

From Space Cowboys web site:

Q) "I cannot take three tokens. And the two remaining stacks are less than four tokens high. Can I take tokens anyway ?"
A) "The action 'take three different tokens' allows you to pick only two different tokens, or even one."

Meaning you can take the action "Take 3 Gems of different colors" but take as many as possible if 3 colors not available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amelia Mouse
United Kingdom
Huntingdon
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
Thank you. Very helpful comments and clarification. Really like this game. I can see us playing this often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Roe
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my actual god we totally missed the "10 chip limit" and "only take 2 chips if there are 4 in the stack" rules. I'm such a massive idiot-hole. It's amazing that everyone enjoyed the game as much as they did considering that only one player ever had any bloody diamonds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.