Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just re-reading the rules for 1825 Unit 3 and I was somewhat astonished to see the following under "5.4 Minor Companies":

"The [Minor company's] permanent train must be paid for before any other trains are hired or bought but track construction may continue and incurred expenses paid".

This implies that a Minor company can build track if someone has bought the Director's share, even if the number of shares sold is not sufficient to buy its permanent train. But immediately following this the rules say:

"The minimum number of shares required to start operations is four, i.e. the Director's quadruple share is sufficient in itself if the price paid for it is sufficient to cover the cost of the permanent train". [My emphasis]

If I were feelng charitable, I could maybe interpret "start operations" as being able to run trains, but a more natural interpretation is that this refers to all operations (placing the base token, building track, running trains, the works). Elsewhere, under "4.6 Purchasing trains", the rules say:

"The Minor companies already own a Train when they are formed...".

- which implies that the Minor companies are only formed when sufficient shares have been purchased to buy the permanent train. This fits with the explanation of Minor companies in all the earlier add-on kits.

I'm inclined to ignore the first rule above and play that Minor companies are only formed when they can purchase their permanent train. I also play that the 'par' share value must be set at or greater than 1/10th of the cost of that train (which is again what was written in the earlier expansion packs).

Does anyone have any other interpretations of the first rule above?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
OK, I've only played this game a couple times, so I am not an absolute expert, but here's how we handled it.

Once the quadruple Director's Share was purchased, we operated the minor company. If the capital raised by purchase of the Director's Share was insufficient to buy the "permanent train", we obviously couldn't run trains. But we did allow the placement of the company's base and construction of track. We did not play the "1/10 cost rule" because we didn't know about it. But if you didn't set your share value to at least that high, you'd never be able to purchase a train and run the railroad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way the minor companies work is:

1) They come with a permanent train that MUST be purchased.
2) They can't operate until the company has enough to pay for the permanent train that it must purchase - this means no laying track etc.
3) As long as the minor company paid for it's permanent train, it can run a route on it's firt turn since it already has a train. Of course the downside is that it rarely earns enough for the stock to move up, but at least it won't move back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Morris
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
This size viola da gamba is like a cello with frets. I started playing at age 48.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, but your assertion (2) contradicts the rule, which is correctly quoted by the OP from the rulebook. "Operation" is more than a matter of running trains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Has this matter been resolved? Can minors be started without sufficient capital to buy their pre-equiped train?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.