Popular Tags: [View All]
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The U.K nationals were this past weekend - did FFG publish dates/venues for other countries? (Specifically, Canada?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brodee ee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
does canada even get a nationals? I thought they just shoved us in with america, as america's hat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They have been posted (I replied to you on Twitter already)

Details here: http://www.legendswarehouse.ca/

The tournament is being run as part of a larger event called "Battlegrounds". It is being hosted by Legends Warehouse at the International Centre (which is really close to Pearson International Airport, in Mississauga - just outside of Toronto).

The image is slightly incorrect - it should say August 16th AND August 17th for Netrunner (it has been confirmed - it will be two days).

I believe there will be some method for pre-registration but it has not been announced yet. Also, I believe there are plans to put on a secondary draft event with the latest prize kit on the second day, for people who really cannot get enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brodee ee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I followed the link, I don't see any more details about the tournament. does the winner get airfare and hotel to worlds?

as an aside, all regionals superbyes are good at worlds right? worlds is considered a national level tournament?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brodee wrote:
I followed the link, I don't see any more details about the tournament. does the winner get airfare and hotel to worlds?

as an aside, all regionals superbyes are good at worlds right? worlds is considered a national level tournament?

If I understand correctly, Regional byes are for National events only (GenCon in the U.S). You need a National bye for Worlds itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Helms
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Nordic Championship (Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland) is being held at SydCon in Balstika Hallen in Malmö - https://www.facebook.com/events/443111182458060/?ref=22
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brodee wrote:

Yes, I should have mentioned - the image I embedded is the only information that has been posted so far about the tournament. The rest I have only learned via word of mouth through the TOs and their discussion with Legends. It is 100% confirmed as our National tournament with FFG, so will have the appropriate prize kit. More information will be certainly be posted as it becomes available!

(In other words, the above image is a "Save the Date!")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selverin
Poland
flag msg tools
Polish nationals probably will be in last weekend of August in Cracow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Ødegård
Norway
Høvik
Akershus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terrificy wrote:
Nordic Championship (Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland) is being held at SydCon in Balstika Hallen in Malmö - https://www.facebook.com/events/443111182458060/?ref=22

Any idea what day the championship'll fall on? SydCon lasts three days and I sadly can't take all three away from work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Zacapa
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
French one are the last weekend of June, in Paris. Luckily that's in the nord, close to us

Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg aren't getting one so it seems.

Anybody know when en where the German one is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Benzein
Sweden
Sollentuna
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eremiel wrote:
Terrificy wrote:

Any idea what day the championship'll fall on? SydCon lasts three days and I sadly can't take all three away from work.

The TO said that it will most likely be swiss 2nd august and elimination bracket 3rd but that isn't set in stone yet. He expets to have information out this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mordechai
Germany
flag msg tools
German nationals will be on August 23rd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Zacapa
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
Mormacar wrote:
German nationals will be on August 23rd.

Where?

Do you have a link to the website with some information?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain Less
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twitch_City wrote:

The image is slightly incorrect - it should say August 16th AND August 17th for Netrunner (it has been confirmed - it will be two days).

Two days? That's very annoying, why would they need two days to run a tournament...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vuud wrote:
Twitch_City wrote:

Two days? That's very annoying, why would they need two days to run a tournament...

... We had a Store Championship tournament that had 60+ players show up for. If this is advertised properly, they are expecting over 200 players, which (as I understand it) might mean 8 rounds of swiss *before* any of the cuts. Not sure exactly how it is going to be run, but the TO's thinking is that spreading it out over the weekend will be much easier than marathoning it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain Less
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twitch_City wrote:

... We had a Store Championship tournament that had 60+ players show up for. If this is advertised properly, they are expecting over 200 players, which (as I understand it) might mean 8 rounds of swiss *before* any of the cuts. Not sure exactly how it is going to be run, but the TO's thinking is that spreading it out over the weekend will be much easier than marathoning it.

200 players, now that's some wishful thinking Especially on the same weekend as Gen Con. Regionals are going to provide a very good estimate on attendance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vuud wrote:
200 players, now that's some wishful thinking Especially on the same weekend as Gen Con. Regionals are going to provide a very good estimate on attendance.

You might be right! Again, I'm not the TO and am only relaying what I have heard via word-of-mouth.

An issue with our regionals is that the first one (happening in less than two weeks) has been *horribly* promoted so far. The store that is hosting it has posted the date on their calendar... but no details. No start time, no pre-registration/registration details, no price, no details about prize support (although we all know what is in the kit, someone who is perhaps attending their first tournament might not), nothing. And it will be held in a basement. And that basement is pretty small/dusty. And the store isn't in a mall or anything, so I really don't know what is going to happen for overflow. And none of the core/experienced people from the Toronto NR scene are TOing it, so it may not be organized very well on the actual day of. I'm really not impressed with that situation at the moment. I'm definitely going to attend but I imagine it might end up being a bit of a disaster.

The second regionals date is in a better state - the store has banners up on their front page about it, and have announced that they have cancelled all other tournaments on that date to fully support Netrunner. I imagine the turnout for this one will be large, but it is being held in a basement and there is a limited amount of space. But I know the people TOing it, and I imagine it will be run very smoothly (so long as the software holds up).

RE: Gen Con, yes - that is an issue, although I'm not sure if it is a huge one. A couple of my friends had already planned their Gen Con trip before the Nationals were announced and so are planning on playing down there, but for many people (myself included) attending Gen Con was simply just not feasible. Legends specifically chose this date to serve as a replacement for Gen Con for the people who couldn't make it there. And since it is a Nationals event, I think we are going to get interest from people who may have never come to a tournament in Toronto before (e.g., irionClaus's flag is USA and it sounds like he is contemplating attending?). 200 may be a lofty goal, but hell... it might actually be realistic. And it sounds like there will be tons of other events to keep people's interest outside of Netrunner.

To be honest, the thing I'm most looking forward to in regards to Nationals is the chance to play Netrunner... not in a basement. There might even be windows!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twitch_City wrote:
Legends specifically chose this date to serve as a replacement for Gen Con for the people who couldn't make it there.

I don't get it. If you cannot go to GenCon, is it important for you that the "replacement convention" is exactly at the same weekend? I feel it would be way better if it was a week or two later (this for example allows the organizer to send some people to GenCon to buy games sold there so that you have GenCon games in your gaming library). I think people who can't go to GenCon but can go to Toronto would go there on another weekend as well, and there could be some people who'd go to both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have also said, that the date was *also* chosen because the MAIN EVENT is some high stakes Magic tournament thing and AFAIK Wizards stipulated that it needed to be on that particular weekend.

So, the options for the TO were either to include Netrunner in their overarching event ("Battlegrounds"), or do it separately on another weekend, which doesn't really make sense since they are already renting the convention hall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hsiale wrote:
Twitch_City wrote:
Legends specifically chose this date to serve as a replacement for Gen Con for the people who couldn't make it there.

I don't get it. If you cannot go to GenCon, is it important for you that the "replacement convention" is exactly at the same weekend? I feel it would be way better if it was a week or two later (this for example allows the organizer to send some people to GenCon to buy games sold there so that you have GenCon games in your gaming library). I think people who can't go to GenCon but can go to Toronto would go there on another weekend as well, and there could be some people who'd go to both.

The time to have a GenCon Pity Party is during GenCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Boivin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add me to the list of those disappointed in having the Canadian nationals during Gen Con and the North American championship

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Annable
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You mean I have to miss out on Canadian Nationals because I'm lucky enough to be going to GenCon this year?

Poor me, amirite?

Good to see that we're getting our own Nationals though - because I won't go to GenCon every year and this is a much cheaper and closer alternative.

Though I've never heard of this "Legends Warehouse" place. Anyone have any experience playing there? How active is their Netrunner community?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain Less
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
david_annable wrote:

Though I've never heard of this "Legends Warehouse" place. Anyone have any experience playing there? How active is their Netrunner community?

They probably never ran a Netrunner night or event. Just like Montreal Regionals. Locations are not picked on their dedication to Netrunner Community but rather if they are good customers of Lion Rampant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Annable
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Vuud wrote:
if they are good customers of Lion Rampant.

This is what I thought and while I know FFG can't necessarily police all of their distributors, you'd think they'd want to be a bit more directly involved in how their bit-time events are organized and run.

Take the two Toronto regionals coming up this month. Toronto is a major urban centre, yes - but we pushed hard for a regionals up in the KW/Cambridge area because we have a fairly strong and active community up here and have shown repeatedly that we can host some damn fine tournaments in a number of different venues which are large and comfortable.

Instead, we'll get crammed into Hairy Tarantula North and 401 Games. Both are great stores but I don't think either have the capacity to host these events comfortably.

I don't mind the hour or so trip down to Toronto a few times a year for tournaments, but I'd rather see the events chosen on the quality of the venue and the community support surrounding it. If FFG really wanted to do that, their organized play manager could easily introduce some sort of feedback mechanism to any of their kits (or even just the Store Championship kits). This would give FFG a lot of information about where their biggest fanbases are when planning "tour" events like Plugged In and allow them to target their marketing accordingly. As it stands, allowing Lion Rampant to decide who gets what based on sales alone seems about as disconnected from the fanbase as it gets.

But then again, I don't run a hugely successful international game publisher so what do I know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vuud wrote:
david_annable wrote:

They probably never ran a Netrunner night or event. Just like Montreal Regionals. Locations are not picked on their dedication to Netrunner Community but rather if they are good customers of Lion Rampant.

Damn, you can be dismissive. Actually, Legends Warehouse is a FLGS/comic book shop in Vaughan (North of Toronto, right off the 400 at Rutherford), that have been very welcoming to the Netrunner community. I've been to at least 3 tournaments there, and at a few the store took all the profits from the (cheap) entrance fee and gave them back in store credit to the Top 8 players, which was pretty generous of them. They also host a weekly friendly meetup every Sunday, I believe for a core of players, although I have never been.

I know Legends petitioned FFG for the Regionals event, and I'm glad they got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.