3 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: My First Battle Report: Assault On Imdaar Alpha rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glen Nielsen
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey guys, so, I just started playing a few weeks ago and happened to see all these AOIA events coming up. I decided "Hey, for $10, it's a competitive practice that'll help me learn the game a little better against more skilled players who know what they're doing." I had to travel an hour there and back to do it, but I thought it'd be worth it. I went in with no expectations, my friend and I both having just started, we just went for a good time.

After a few posts on different forums, I got a lot of feedback on what to run of the lists I was thinking about and ended up falling back on the only list I really played (despite that only being a few times):

Biggs

Rookie Pilot

Dagger Squadron x2

Advanced Sensors

I had seen this played by Paul Heaver at the Worlds last year and figured since I had the most knowledge from watching it multiple times, it was a solid list for me instead of trying to build my own. I didn't make the decision until I actually got to the venue haha, but the choice was made when they asked what I was playing. Armed with my new knowledge of how Advanced Sensors actually worked (I'd been using them just for barrel rolls lol), I was ready to go. There were 12 people total and the day began.

Round 1

Standing with my friend, squinting up at the screen to see the pairings, we both looked at each other and laughed, we'd been paired against each other. It was probably the best thing for us, as we were semi-familiar with each others squadrons and it gave us a chance to have a friendly game where we could both ease into the tournament atmosphere. He was flying:

Wedge

Luke

Biggs

I don't recall exactly what he was using as upgrades, I think Wedge had an astromech that gave him the chance to roll a defense die to remove a damage card and Biggs had a Shield Upgrade, but that's about all I can remember. We both started in opposite corners and had a pretty standard battle I'd imagine. He's still working on maneuvering and we laughed as he made some asteroid collisions and joked how it wouldn't be him if he didn't. I put the hurt on him pretty bad. We both killed off each others Biggs, and I then concentrated fire on Wedge, since that -1 agility vs my B-Wings wasn't ideal. I hurt him enough to send him running off trying to heal, with both my B-Wings chasing him, Luke chasing my Bs, and my Rookie staying on Luke's tail for numerous range 1 shots. My Rookie dropped Luke fairly quickly, and my Bs finished of Wedge a turn or so later. It was a nice way for me to start of the tournament, despite having to hand a friend a loss.

Win 100-25

Round 2

My roommate came with us to watch the tournaments and was off doing recon during my first game. With the new pairings he came over to let me know that the guy I was paired against seemed to know his stuff and was probably pretty decent. After the tournament he later told me he was the only one he thought would beat me. He flew:

Biggs

Hobbie

R3-A2

Tarn

Blue Squadron Pilot

I don't recall what else he had, but we were even at 100. We rolled and I won initiative. I set up, and he set up directly across from me, it was going to be a jousting match. We both moved towards each other, and finally getting in range, both our Biggs started taking hits. He dropped mine, shortly after I dropped his. I next focused on Hobbie because the stress thing might screw me if we started to really joust. Hobbie went down fairly quickly, then it was on to the Blue. We traded ships back and forth coming down to a 1v1 with a Dagger and Tarn. Many K-Turns ensued, and finally he slipped up and moved forward when I K-Turned, allowing me to get behind him. A heavy volley at range 1 from my Dagger and Tarn was down.

Win 100-73

Round 3

This was a round I wasn't terribly looking forward to, he flew:

Bounty Hunter x2
Gunner

Academy Pilot x2

I'd never faced large ships before, so it was something I was worried about as I didn't really know how to properly fight them. I tried my best to crowd the center with asteroids, which I probably could have done a better job of (noted for next time). I won initiative again and we got under way. He started his Academy Pilots dead center, with his Bounty Hunters off to the opposite corner of my squadron. I decided to move slow, see what he did and try and get his Bounty Hunters to have to fly into the asteroids. 2 Turns of Forward 1s on my side as his Bounty Hunters raced into the asteroids in the center, while his two Academy Pilots flew across the top of the board looking to hit me on 2 fronts. I took this as my opportunity to engage. I turned my squadron into the asteroids, mostly choosing to ignore the TIEs. I sent a number of shots into the closest Bounty Hunter and stripped his shields quickly. I then started making mistakes. I left Biggs on a forward course with the TIEs while the rest of my squadron engaged the Bounty Hunters. Luckily it kept Biggs at range 3 behind an asteroid from the Bounty Hunters but was in the open against the TIEs. I decided I'd leave Biggs as a sacrifice to keep the TIEs off my Bs as they went at the Bounty Hunters. I sent in my Rookie to try and block up the asteroid field and hope he'd start bumping and colliding. He took some heavy hits and was low into his hull, it wasn't looking good for him. This is where the game got skillful (with a huge chunk of luck). His Bounty Hunters moved through/out of the field while landing less than a millimeter from some asteroids, it was impressive. I too began to click with my squadron, landing some great maneuvers, keeping my ships out of the Bounty Hunter firing arcs while dodging asteroids as well. I also made more mistakes. With a Bounty Hunter going towards his side of the map, another going towards mine, I split my squadron instead of focusing. Biggs was all alone tailing the Bounty Hunter on his side, while a B and my Rookie chased the other, my second B kind of in limbo as I tried to decide how to best recover from my split. I decided Biggs was toast, and left him to chase the Bounty Hunter alone. Some crazy maneuvering landed my Rookie incredibly close to his Bounty Hunter's base on my side, just outside of his firing arc, but inside mine. Rookie landed a heavy hit dropping the Bounty Hunter. His TIEs cleaned up my Rookie and a B that'd been beat up by a Bounty Hunter. This left a Bounty Hunter and 2 TIEs for him and a B and a badly wounded Biggs for me. I definitely thought my days were numbered, but the only luck I've ever had in my life kicked in. With Biggs tailing hard on the remaining Bounty Hunter, he opened fire, tearing into the Bounty Hunter with a range 1 roll of 3 crits and a hit. Limping along it fired back with a pretty heavy hit, Biggs dodged it all. With a reroll with Gunner, more heavy hits, Biggs dodged it all again. My remaining B began to make it's way back to support a hull remaining Biggs and blew up a TIE on the way. His Bounty Hunter moved in towards my B, but he miscalculated, landing on an asteroid. That was pretty much the end of it. I made quick work of it, and in a silly move to keep Biggs IN the fight with the 1 TIE, I moved towards it and clipped an asteroid, rolling a hit and Biggs blew up. My remaining Dagger made quick work of the TIE sending me to the "Finals".

Win 100-73

3-0 and making the cut of top 2 as the only one to go undefeated.

"Finals"

I put finals in quotes, because it didn't really mean all that much to me. I was going into it with 0 knowledge of ANY of the ships I was using versus a player who had apparently played in other AOIA events previously so I imagine had a greater knowledge (this was the same opponent from round 2), and to me, this was a "Flavor" game. I ended up flying:

Han Solo
Swarm Tactics
Gunner
Chewbacca
Hull Upgrade

Knave Squadron Pilot

Bandit Squadron Pilot

While on his end he flew:

Rexler Brath
Predator

Whisper
Advanced Cloaking Device
Veteran Instincts

Black Squadron Pilot
Draw Their Fire
Hull Upgrade

I don't recall what made up his last 5 points, but I believe he was a full 100 points. My brain was pretty much mush by this point, so I don't quite recall how it all went down. I made a number of mistakes while learning to fly Han though (luckily not with asteroids), but Han got devastated by Brath's ability. That combined with the crazy movement of the Defender with it's White 4 speed K-Turn and 5 speed Green forward, it all took it's toll and Han eventually went down, but not before dropping Whisper who really didn't do all that much. A brain failure on my part and my Knave obstructed by the Falcon, I tried to pull a K-Turn missing the stress he already had hidden behind the hull of the Falcon. With no mercy, my opponent sent me 5 forward towards the edge of the board dangerously close to going off. With my dice luck gone from the previous game and the 0 agility of Han, his Black Squadron finished off Han pretty easily, leaving my lowly Knave and Bandit to try and win the day. Expecting to lose my Knave, I did a hard 2 to try and get back in play and just barely pulled it off. The Knave now with the Defender and Black Squadron on his tail, the Bandit flew in behind dropping the Defender to a single hull point. The Defender was able to K-turn and come back at the Bandit dropping him into hull points. With a quick green maneuver to drop the stress, the Knave could finally K-Turn to face the Black Squadron, but it was dangerously close to the edge. I I went for it, a 3 speed K-Turn landing me millimeters from the board edge. Unfortunately, the Black Squadron shot first, dropping the Knave before swinging back around to help the Defender finish off the Bandit.

And that was it. It was an incredibly fun time and I had some great opponents. I walked away with an E-Wing which was a lot more than I expected to, so I have no complaints about the day. My head hurt and I was exhausted afterwards and it was nice to get home and sleep. I plan to continue practicing and fine tuning and I hope to get in on the Regionals this month. Thanks to everyone on the forums who gave me any sort of advice, it was greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voidreturn
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
The Motivation wrote:

My roommate came with us to watch the tournaments and was off doing recon during my first game. With the new pairings he came over to let me know that the guy I was paired against seemed to know his stuff and was probably pretty decent. After the tournament he later told me he was the only one he thought would beat me. He flew:

That sounds borderline against the sportsmanlike rules for "collusion". That's not clearly meant as a way to improve your skill or encourage friends, but rather to gain an advantage that your opponents do not have (eg how they deploy). I would call the TO over and put an end to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Nielsen
Canada
flag msg tools
voidreturn wrote:
The Motivation wrote:

That sounds borderline against the sportsmanlike rules for "collusion". That's not clearly meant as a way to improve your skill or encourage friends, but rather to gain an advantage that your opponents do not have (eg how they deploy). I would call the TO over and put an end to that.

You're welcome to your opinions. Anyone he watched he asked if they minded. He told me nothing about how anyone played or what they flew, just that this one particular person seemed like the most knowledgeable. Some of you people are far too eager to cry "collusion".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.