6 Posts

Betrayal at House on the Hill» Forums » Rules

Subject: Monsters token rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Last
msg tools
mb
Hello every one , i keep playing my first game & reading the rules still geting these question , i hope that i am not asking alot :

1- Where is the speed for the monsters , is the number on the token indicate its speed? How to use that number to determine the number of dice to use for its movement some numbers in these tokens exceed 8 ? and the game has only 8 dice.

2- if the monsters often use trait other than might to attack (how monsters work), what trait the explorer can use to attack or defend against monster since it says in the making attack section that " you can't use a trait to attack an opponent who doesn't have that trait"
what is the trait that monsters uses so that the explorer can you the same trait at the time of the conflict ?

3- how do we know what trait the monster is using at the time of conflict since they often use trait other than might to attack ?

4- what is the strength number of the monster to know if it was stunned or not ?
if we said the the number on the tokens are the strength of the moster then how will it be stunned ? if I roll all the 8 dice the maximum I will get 16 where as there is some monster's numbers more than 20 ?

thank you all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monsters only enter the game if a Haunt scenario says they do, and so the stats will be in the Traitor's Tome. For example, some monster definitions might look like:

Zombie: 5 Might, 2 Sanity, 2 Speed.
Killer Robot: 8 Might, 4 Speed.
Scary Ghost: 5 Sanity, 3 Speed. The Scary Ghost makes Sanity attacks against the heroes. If it defeats them, the hero takes mental damage equal to the difference.

A monster always attacks with Might unless the Haunt says otherwise. When the monster attacks, the traitor tells the heroes which trait is being rolled.

A hero usually attacks with Might. With the Revolver Item, he can attack with Speed, and with the Ring Omen, he can attack with Sanity. But since the Killer Robot doesn't have a Sanity, for instance, it'd be immune to the Ring. The monster rolls a number of dice equal to its trait to defend. So if Flash Gordon (Speed 5) were using the Revolver (attack with speed +1) to attack the Zombie, Flash would roll 6 dice and the Zombie would roll 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Last
msg tools
mb
Thank you for the detailed answer , but i still would like to know about the small 204 monster tokens(colored tokens) not the big circular ones, the moster token with the numbers in the top right corner , what these numbers represent? Does the same things you explaned for the zombie , killer robot ...etc applys on these small monsters token ?
Thank you again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. The Haunt will say something like "Get ten brown tokens to use as Zombies." The numbers only matter if there's a specific need to tell them apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt H
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
1- The speed of monsters is indicated under the rules for that specific haunt. It is NOT the number on the monster tokens. All monsters in a haunt will USUALLY have the same stats. Speed works differently for monsters than it does for explorers. If a monster has Speed 3, you roll 3 dice once at the start of the monster's turn and ALL monsters can move that many spaces this turn; repeat each monster turn.

2- You always defend with the trait you are being attacked with. If a monster attacks with Sanity, you roll Sanity as well. Now, just because they can attack with Sanity doesn't mean you can attack with that trait. By default, explorers must attack using Might unless an item/omen allows otherwise.

3- The rules for that particular Haunt in the Traitors Tome will explain how monsters attack and will be accompanied by their stats.

4- The numbers on the monster tokens are used to distinguish between the different tokens, that is all. They have nothing to do with stats or anything else. A monster is stunned if they take any damage (attacker/defender roll is higher than their own by 1 or more)

Hope that cleared things up. I'd look through the Monster/Traitor section of the main rule book once again. It better explains Traitor abilities and how monsters work since they behave very differently from explorers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Last
msg tools
mb
Thank you all for taking time to answer my questions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.