Hide
6 Posts

Machi Koro» Forums » Rules

Subject: Order of Resolution for Activated Cards and Payment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Lester
msg tools
I'm interested in your thoughts on the order of resolution. I have read elsewhere on BGG that the official order of resolution for activated cards is first red, then green, then blue, and finally purple. Whether or not this is the official order, this seems to weaken the effectiveness of the red cards too much.

Let's say the active player begins their turn with 4 bakeries (activates on 2-3) and no coins, and their opponent has 2 cafes (activates on 3). The active player rolls a 3. Under this order of resolution, their opponent receives no coins, as the active player began their turn with no coins to give. As green cards resolve after red, the current player will subsequently receive 4 coins from the bank, with none of them going to the player with the cafes. This seems to neutralize the player's ability to counter an opponent's investment in multiples of one kind of establishments (i.e, bakeries) by investing in red establishments (cafes).

The order of resolution I have been playing is to have red resolve after blue and green cards (which, in actual play, tend to resolve simultaneously), with purple resolving last (since they're so special and all). This does tip the scale in favor of red cards, especially in three and four player games, but on the whole I find that it creates a more exciting game. Any thoughts?

I'm also interested in how you prefer to divvy up payment to red cards. For example, let's say in a three-player game that the active player has two coins and no property, and their two opponents each have two cafe cards. The active player then rolls a 3. Does the first opponent in line get 2 coins, leaving no coins for the other opponent? Or do you pay out one cafe to the first opponent (1 coin) and then one cafe to the second opponent (1 coin)? In this case, it doesn't matter that the first opponent has more than one cafe, as the active player doesn't have any left.

I prefer to play that the first opponent going around gets first dibs on the active players money until all of their red establishments are paid off; then the next opponent in line gets to go, and so on. In this way, it's more likely that one player will get rich fast on a big payday, which I think is more in the spirit of the game. However, most of my friends think we should pay off one establishment at a time so that each player can get a share of the loot if possible. They use the "welfare" development in the expansion (you get 1 coin on your turn if you don't have any coins when it's time to purchase) as evidence that the game is on their side and wants everything fair and square angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the default order. I think the red cards are powerful enough as it is.

As for the order, I'd go by player order. Next player clockwise resolves all the red cards, then the next and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
The order is official. It's in the rulebook.

Red cards resolve in turn order, then green, then blue in turn order, then purple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Order of payment is also in the (Japanese) rules. You pay everything you can to the player to your right, then around the table anti-clockwise.

I have no idea why you would want to increase the power of red cards other than that it is your personal preferred strategy to buy up red cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
razjml wrote:
I'm interested in your thoughts on the order of resolution. I have read elsewhere on BGG that the official order of resolution for activated cards is first red, then green, then blue, and finally purple.

I'm new to the game - just reading the rules for the first time today - but that's not quite what it says. The order of resolution is 3 levels:

1) Restaurants (Red)
2) Secondary Industry (Green) and Primary Industry (Blue)
3) Major Establishments (Purple)

Green and Blue are resolved simultaneously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
Order of payment is also in the (Japanese) rules. You pay everything you can to the player to your right, then around the table anti-clockwise.

That's what it says in the English rules too: "If payment is owed to multiple players at the same time, payment is processed in reverse player order (counter clockwise)".

There's no chance this is a misprint, because there is an example showing the rule in action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.