Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Initial monster surge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron
Switzerland
Leysin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you set up the initial monster surge in the set-up? I don't see any clear directions in the manual.

Is this initial surge simply connected to the beginning gate(s)?

For example, in a one player game, do you always start with the gate and one monster? Or is it possible to end up with two gates at the start if the current gate doen't correspond to the omen track?

Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not resolve any monster surges during setup.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
Switzerland
Leysin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, but on the set up cards it says "monster surge" (?)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TrueLolzor wrote:
You do not resolve any monster surges during setup.


To expand on this; during set up you spawn the appropriate number of gates as indicated on the reference card and each gate spawns a monster as well.

A monster surge is a specific thing that happens during the game but not during set up.

Edit: the monster surge icon on the reference card is a reference for later in the game.

jaxommm wrote:
Okay, but on the set up cards it says "monster surge" (?)


This is not a set up card, this is a game reference card, not everything on the card is relevant during set up.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
Switzerland
Leysin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might see my mistake now....the reference card tells you how many clues and gates to initially place but the monster surge part refers to the mythos phase?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
Switzerland
Leysin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BertMcCloud wrote:
TrueLolzor wrote:
You do not resolve any monster surges during setup.


To expand on this; during set up you spawn the appropriate number of gates as indicated on the reference card and each gate spawns a monster as well.

A monster surge is a specific thing that happens during the game but not during set up.

Edit: the monster surge icon on the reference card is a reference for later in the game.

jaxommm wrote:
Okay, but on the set up cards it says "monster surge" (?)


This is not a set up card, this is a game reference card, not everything on the card is relevant during set up.



Thanks! That explains it all!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the icons on the reference card refer to the Mythos phase. The gate and clue icons tell you how many of each to place when the appropriate symbol comes up on the Mythos card.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jaxommm wrote:
I might see my mistake now....the reference card tells you how many clues and gates to initially place but the monster surge part refers to the mythos phase?


For clarification: The value is for initial placement and placement when it appears on a mythos card drawn. If the clue token symbol lists '1' then you place 1 clue token at setup and 1 clue token any time the symbol appears on the mythos card drawn - if '2' then you place 2 during setup and 2 if the symbol appears on the mythos card. This way the game scales to the number of investigators.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♪ I'll mourn over the marble steps ♬ Junkies of the world lay across the monuments ♫ I climb and blister on the mount ♪ Drunks take a piss where heroes once bled out ♪ ♫
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Started my first game tonight and had this same confusion. Thanks for posting this question, Aaron.
Thanks for the clarifications, Bert, Austin, and Michael!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.