Hide
12 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: PLACING INFLUENCE BREAKING CONTROL rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Federico Secco
msg tools
Played a lot of TS matches without understanding a thing.

Example:
USA control Panama (Stability = 2) with 3 Influence Points
URRS use one 4 points operation card to enter in Panama

How many influence points will get URRS in Panama ?? (with explanation)

Please answer me..

Fede

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For 2 points USSR gets 1 point in there, USA still controls Panama.
For another 2 points USSR gets another point in there, USA control is no more.

Result: US 3 - 2 USSR

This is all provided USSR has an adjacent country from which to "expand" into Panama.

EDIT: When the opposing player is controlling a country, 1 point of presence costs 2 Op. points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
In order to control a country you must have at least the country's stability value (2 in Panama) above your opponent's influence in order to control the country.

If at the start of the turn Panama looks like this -

US 3 - URRS 0, then the US controls Panama.

For the URRS to add 1 influence to Panama, it will cost 2 ops. After adding 1 influence, Panama looks like this -

US 3 - URRS 1, with the US still having Panama's stability value (2) more than the URRS.

As a result, the URRS will need to spend another 2 ops in order to add 1 more influence.

US 3 - URRS 2, now Panama is uncontrolled and either power can add influence at a cost of 1 op per influence point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Secco
msg tools
So, in that case with 4 points card URRS will get only 2 influence points??
This is so Sad.... We always played that to enter in every controlled countries you have to use 2 points just one time....

Thank you for your answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Parker Lewis wrote:
So, in that case with 4 points card URRS will get only 2 influence points??
This is so Sad.... We always played that to enter in every controlled countries you have to use 2 points just one time....

Not sure what you mean here. It costs 2 points to place influence in a country controlled by your opponent. If you spend 2 points to place one influence and your opponent still controls the country, it's still going to cost 2 points to place another influence. It's very consistent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Secco
msg tools
I wanted to say that:
I thought that with one 4 cards operation (in one URRS round) the 2 points instead 1 in a controlled state rule was true only one time (only one time in URRS round) so we used to play 2 points to enter and the remaining 2 to put in for a total of 3...

but You say that is not, so... so sadly with 4 card operations I can put just 2 points..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Parker Lewis wrote:
I wanted to say that:
I thought that with one 4 cards operation (in one URRS round) the 2 points instead 1 in a controlled state rule was true only one time (only one time in URRS round) so we used to play 2 points to enter and the remaining 2 to put in for a total of 3...

but You say that is not, so... so sadly with 4 card operations I can put just 2 points..

Yep... strong control, few points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With a 4 point card, you'd better coup in Panama
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This what people are refering as "overcontrolling".

Once you overcontrol a country, it is very hard for your opponent to take it away from you (by influence placement means, at least).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piciu Piciu
msg tools
I have a question about the rule. You explained cost of operating points when adding influence points exacly like in rule book. But when I look at page 18:

TURN 3

Ugh, not only has the Soviet player gotten all his big cards, Chris
has nabbed Decolonization twice! Nevertheless, Marshall Plan
allows the American’s to lock down their advantage in Europe.
Stefan adds 1 to France (6C/0), W. Germany (5C/0), the UK
(4/0), Spain (1/0), Greece (1/0), Turkey (1/0) and Benelux (1/0).
The Soviets welcome more comrades to the revolution in Algeria
(0/2C), Zaire (0/1C), South Africa (3C/1) and Malaysia (1/2).

In the picture on page 20 there is also shown, that is sounh africa there are 3 influece points USA, and 1 USSR. My question is why USA didn't lose control, when USSR added 1 influence point in South Africa?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Piciu,

What you are quoting is simply a mistake in the rulebook. It's been discussed on this forum before, I believe. Yes, US does lose control when USSR adds that influence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piciu Piciu
msg tools
Thank you Sam Carroll for your answear. I think that in this example game by Chris and Stefan there is more mistakes when I compare it to the rest of rulebook. One again than you for remove my doubts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.