Popular Tags: [View All]
Baris Kocabasoglu
Turkey
flag msg tools
badge
..... I..... win.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

This might be a very noobish question but while playing versus Shadow Elves today, me (DD) and my opponent (SE) had a discussion over the Shadows event card.

The card reads:

“Shadows: Instead of playing this card during your Event Phase, you may play this card when a Common or Champion Shadow Elf unit that you control is destroyed and placed in an opponent’s Magic Pile. Remove the destroyed Unit from your opponent’s Magic Pile and place it face down on top of your magic pile.”

My opponent tried to play this card in his event phase and remove a destroyed unit from my Magic Pile. When I stated that he cannot do that he insisted that since the card says “Instead of playing this card… you may play..” so he chose NOT to play it when the card is destroyed but instead he CHOSE to play it during his EVENT phase, hence the term “may play”.

Bottom line: Is this a legal play? Can you play this card during your event phase and transfer a unit from your opponent’s Magic Pile to your own?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"instead of playing this card during your event phase" is proscriptive. You cannot play the card during the event phase. The reason the clause is there is to make it clear because normally, that's when event cards are played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
"instead of playing this card during your event phase" is proscriptive. You cannot play the card during the event phase. The reason the clause is there is to make it clear because normally, that's when event cards are played.

I agree thumbsup
Quote:

“Shadows: Instead of playing this card during your Event Phase, you may play this card when a Common or Champion Shadow Elf unit that you control is destroyed and placed in an opponent’s Magic Pile. Remove the destroyed Unit from your opponent’s Magic Pile and place it face down on top of your magic pile.”

The first part of the power states that it is used outside of the Event Phase. After the comma, the "you may" means that you don't have to play it when one of your Common or Champion units is destroyed. It means that you may play it when one of those units is destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baris Kocabasoglu
Turkey
flag msg tools
badge
..... I..... win.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the answer. I get it clearly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The key part of the text is that you play it "when a Common or Champion Shadow Elf unit that you control is destroyed and placed in an opponent’s Magic Pile".

If he's trying to play it during his event phase, that's not when the card was destroyed and put in the magic pile. Whether it's the event phase or not isn't really important, it's the point at which his card is destroyed and going to your magic pile that he plays Shadows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:

I agree in practice, but disagree on theory.

IF there was an action he could take during his event phase which destroyed his own card and sent it to the opponents magic pile, I believe it would be legitimate to play Shadows and bring the card to his own magic.

I can't think of how that would happen currently, but a future expansion may change what could happen in his event phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.