4 Posts

Caverna: The Cave Farmers» Forums » Variants

Subject: 2 player variant, starting with 3 family members... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hello Goodbye
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and utilizing 3 boards each, stacked in such a way that there is a total of 5 forest rows and 5 "cave" rows, while using the 4 player setup??? I haven't tried it yet, but wanted to see if anyone had tried something similar and if they ran into any major issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Sayward
United States
Kenmore
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm intrigued.
Hi_Regis wrote:
... utilizing 3 boards each, stacked in such a way that there is a total of 5 forest rows and 5 "cave" rows...

So it is widened? And the central area is 3 pieces thick, while the ends are 1 thick? Can you post a picture?

Why this particular expansion? I can see how having 3 dwarves would get you into the mid-game sooner, like my own Quick-Start Learning Game, posted earlier.

Why did you feel that the forest & cave areas needed expansion? It's kind of like giving every player the Office Room (without the gold bonus). I wonder if a 3-player group would enjoy this, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hello Goodbye
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried it yet nor do I own the game, I've was just brainstorming. You're right about the center being 3 layers thick... I may just make some color copies and mount them on cardboard of a similar thickness. I wanted to expand the board because with all the extra actions I think it would be too easy to fill the standard board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Sayward
United States
Kenmore
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played about 25 times, 3-7 players, mostly teaching newbies so there will be more players for me to play again & again. I love the way this game is so adaptable to play with variations.

I haven't seen that the lack of space is much of a limitation; not nearly so much as limited actions & limited rounds. Often, players feel that they are just beginning to succeed when the game ends. But I would enjoy playing it out with more dwarves, more space, more opportunities early on. Less focus on efficiency & competition, more on just playing "Farm Prosperity".

After you've played the basic game & some variations, please post your experiences & opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.