Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite excited that the Gen Con 2014 Preview is now posted and it got me thinking about what games I'm looking forward to that will be coming out soon, in the next several months. And then I wondered what games others might be excited about.

So if you care to share, please post which games you're looking forward to and why. Have you pre-ordered any of them yet? Or plan to get them right when they come out?

Let's get talking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subdivision is definitely high on my list. We love Suburbia and this has the same feel, but different mechanics and goals. We really enjoy city building and there aren't that many out there, so it'll be great to have another one so we can choose depending upon what we feel like. This is one I've been badgering my husband to get me for my birthday in August.

Castles of Mad King Ludwig sounds very interesting, but there hasn't been a lot of info on it yet. However, what we've seen sounds very cool to both me and my husband. While we'll probably wait to see a review or gameplay video, I'm pretty sure we'll get this. It's by Ted Alspach, who designed Suburbia, so we're hopeful that it'll be just as good of a design.

Mice and Mystics: Downwood Tales is a must as we love Mice and Mystics! I just don't know what else to say, but this will be a definite buy. It's another one I've been bugging my husband about to get for my birthday.

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Skull & Shackles – Base Set looks very cool and since we love the first one, this is another instant buy, though maybe not right away. I did let my husband know I wanted it for my birthday, but honestly, we haven't finished the first game so it's not something I need right away. But we'll definitely get it eventually.

The Witcher Adventure Game is one we're curious about, mostly to see whether it'd be a good game to play with our RPG group. Some of them really enjoy the Witcher video games so we're hoping this is also good in terms of theme and mechanics, and be a good alternate game to play when we want to take a break from role-playing.

Colt Express just sounds novel. It's played on a 3D train! But definitely need to see more about gameplay before we buy it. Novelty only carries a game so far.

Imperial Settlers sounds interesting, but not much info out there about it right now. Plus, I'm wary about getting many more card game because of how difficult it makes playing a game for my husband with his vision disabilities. So we'll definitely be waiting to watch reviews of it.

Then there are a lot of Kickstarter releases that I'll be getting in the mail, and I'm looking forward to most of them.

Fallen better be a damn good game. I'm very worried about all the stretch goal content they added at the end. I'm worried about game balance, but they did spend a lot of time play-testing after the campaign was over. So it's very much delayed, but if that means it's a good game then I am totally fine with the delays.

Chaos & Alchemy should be a decent light game. It's a Game Salute production so it's of course behind schedule, but waiting doesn't bother me as long as the production is top notch and the game is good.

Havok & Hijinks looks so super cute! And it should be shipping this month. It's very light, but sounds like a lot of fun.

Belle of the Ball was one I could not pass up! Very much looking forward to this one, and it should be shipping in the next couple of months.

Fantasy Frontier is one I've been super excited to get and play! Looks like a nice medium-weight game that will fit nicely in our collection. Very happy that it'll be shipping in the next couple of weeks.

Battle Merchants hopefully will be a good game. I've lost a little interest in it, but it still sounds like a very unique theme and gameplay should be good. Just a little soured that we're not gonna get it right away since we order some dragon coins with it and those coins have not turned out right and are delayed.

Brew Crafters is one we can't wait to get! This is exactly the kind of euro game we like. One rich in theme with medium to heavy-weight mechanics.

Dark Horse: Rebels & Rogues is a much needed expansion for Dark Horse. While we really enjoy Dark Horse, it has become a little samey the last few plays. Though we did completely randomize the tiles in the last game and that did help shake things up. But from what I've seen of the expansion, it will do wonders to add more variables to the game. Plus we pledged at a high level and get to design 2 characters. A little sneak peek, our submitted photos were of Old West LEGO people. And it sounds like he's gonna take my suggestion to make and sell a pack of the fan-made characters so everyone will be able to play with them.

Argent: The Consortium should be another instant hit with us due to the theme and mechanics. Reminds me of all the alchemy video games we used to play. It's been a bit delayed, but I'd rather have an awesome game that is delayed than a terrible game that is on time.

Spurs: A Tale in the Old West is one I am sooo excited to get and it'll be shipped in the next few weeks! I haven't been so thrilled with the Old West games I've played so far, but this looks like it will be great!

I could go on, but I believe these are the Kickstarters I should be getting between now and August. I'll talk about others I've backed as it gets closer to their release dates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for posting that list! It was fun to read through it all.

My top priorities are basically the same as yours: we've already pre-ordered Subdivision, and I'm actually even more excited about Castles of Mad King Ludwig. We just figured we should start by ordering the one that will be released first.

Fortunately there's nothing else that I feel like I need to buy immediately, though I am interested in Spurs and Evolution. I think I'm sort of slow to make up my mind about untried board games—my wishlist is still full of last year's Essen releases that I haven't had a chance to play yet! The danger comes when I play a game once and then need to buy it in order to play again....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
I really looking forward to getting my big box of stretch goals and add-ons for my Myth game!

Also, Incredible Expeditions: Quest for Atlantis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zoe - I wish we had the opportunity to play games before we buy, but the store we used to go to that had games to play closed down. So now we have to rely on really researching a game and then taking the plunge on buying and hoping it turns out right.

Judy - I forgot about Incredible Expeditions. I wanted to support the KS, but wasn't quite sure about it. So I'm looking forward to seeing reviews and thoughts on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't really have enough opportunities to try before buying either, but even a couple of trials can do a lot of damage laugh

We went to a board game café in Toronto while visiting my family over the Christmas holidays, and ended up buying Hawaii afterwards, and after Table Top Day in April we bought Elder Sign (with expansion), Village, and two versions of Timeline. I hate to think what will happen after BGG.con!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Machi Koro
Mice and Mystics Downwood Tales
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Subdivision

I've preordered the ones I can, and am waiting to be able to order King Ludwig.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zoe - lol, better save up then.

Sophie - nice list!

Looks like some of us are on the same page about new games to get. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Laguna Niguel
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Battle of Five Armies is based on the War of the Ring game engine, I'll probably wait to get it until my birthday rolls around though. We're trying to be more selective about what games to buy since our apartment is filling up, so I try to wait to get any until birthdays or holidays instead of just buying them whenever. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agnieszka
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm mostly excited about new expansions this year:
Star Trek: Fleet Captains – Dominion
Mice and Mystics: Downwood Tales
Quarriors! Light vs. Dark
and the Terra Mystica expansion that will appear for Essen (no BGG listing yet).

The games that I'm interested in and that are being published this year are:

La Isla - a new Feld, looks nice, but probably will be a lighter title. I'm waiting for more information.

Valley of the Kings - the theme is what draws me to it, I'm gonna research it more when it comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and I forgot to add Aquasphere to my list! Not really a huge Feld fan, but that theme has me loving it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, an expansion to Terra Mystica! Cool! We finally got that to the table and it's definitely a good game for us.

La Isla sounds neat, but I think the board will be too busy for my husband's vision.

And dang, Auaspehere also looks really cool, but too visually complicated. Ah well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
OxfordRow wrote:
Oh, and I forgot to add Aquasphere to my list! Not really a huge Feld fan, but that theme has me loving it.

+1 for this one. The theme sounds cool.

Out of curiousity: is anyone here psyched for the The X-Files game created by Kevin Wilson? I do love Kevin's games, but I cannot make myself love the idea behind this one. So, even if I'd like to be psyched, I'm not psyched at all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Patchistory - although I don't think I have to wait too much longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not an X-files fan so I don't think I could ever be excited for a game no matter who designed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glaya B
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KS games that should be shipping/arriving soon:
Havok & Hijinks - I am SO excited for the baby dragons!
Shipwrights of the North Sea - It should be interesting to see how well this plays with my friends. Also, Viking meeples!
Fresco: Big Box

Not to mention all the seriously delayed ones, such as the Myth stretch goals, but those three should keep me busy for a while.

As for other upcoming games...

Abyss - Looks like it has amazing art. I'm hoping to demo it at GenCon.
Black Fleet and Madame Ching - I'll be interested in seeing them due to the pirate theme, though my fear is they may have too much conflict for me to actually purchase them.
Quilt Show - I love colors and patterns, so I'm hoping this game will have enough substance to it to keep my attention.
Samurai Spirit - I wasn't too thrilled with Ghost Stories, but maybe this one will be an improvement.
Spirits of the Rice Paddy - I remember studying an article about this topic in one of my anthropology classes in college. That's enough of a hook for me to try it out if I get the chance.
Trains: Rising Sun - This is my one MUST BUY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally looking forward to Night of the Grand Octopus. Mostly because it's cute as can be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glaya - hadn't heard about the rice game, sounds neat. Gonna keep an eye on it.

jesb wrote:
Totally looking forward to Night of the Grand Octopus. Mostly because it's cute as can be.

Looks neat, but wish it wasn't 3 players min.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SilvaShado wrote:
Glaya - hadn't heard about the rice game, sounds neat. Gonna keep an eye on it.

jesb wrote:

Looks neat, but wish it wasn't 3 players min.

I'm hoping the adorableness is enough to convince my friend Audrey to play with us lots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Laguna Niguel
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
OxfordRow wrote:

+1 for this one. The theme sounds cool.

Out of curiousity: is anyone here psyched for the The X-Files game created by Kevin Wilson? I do love Kevin's games, but I cannot make myself love the idea behind this one. So, even if I'd like to be psyched, I'm not psyched at all...

Yes...? We like the show AND 1 v many's... though I definitely want more information on the game before buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cecily Parsley
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I adore Suburbia so I am definitely keeping an eye on both Subdivision and Castles of Mad King Ludwig. I'll need to see some reviews and such before purchasing, but heavily on my Christmas radar!

A few others caught my eye going through the list:
Abyss - The artwork is super cool, and it sounds like an interesting and tense little game.
Epic Resort - The art is whimsical, the theme is funny, and the mechanics look solid. Silly worker placement? Yes please.
Among the Stars - I really like 7 Wonders, so this seems like a shoe-in.
Shadows of Brimstone - We backed this on kickstarter and can't wait to get it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alice
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I am really excited for a bunch of games, and I have preordered the following:
- Dead of Winter I was on the fence before watching Rodney's how to play video (watch it played), but as soon as I knew there would be betrayal cards, and individual goals, I was like, "yes, please!".

- Machi Koro I love city building games, and I used to live in Japan. So even though this game looks a bit simple and light, I felt compelled to preorder.

- Subdivision Another city building game. Again, this is right up my alley. My partner is an architect and I am in urban planning. Perfect.

- Treasures and Traps Expanded Realms 2 + Random Encounters
Treasures and Traps This is one of my favorite light filler games. I already have the first expansion, so these were a must have.

- Villagers and Villains: The Borderlands
Villagers and Villains I really like the depth in this game, for it being such a straight forward, 30 minute dice game. The designer of this game also did Treasures and Traps, and I have all of his games, so I had to preorder this too. lol.

Great idea for making this thread, it is really interesting to hear what people are excited to play.

Edit: spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stasia Doster
United States
Sherman
Texas
flag msg tools
If I am not gaming, I am reading!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very interested in both of the new Feld titles, La Isla and AquaSphere. It goes without saying that Mice and Mystics: Downwood Tales was an automatic buy for us, so it has been preordered already.

I am very curious about Consequential and what they are planning to do with that game. It was supposed to be out last year, I believe, but was delayed. Hopefully it will be out some time in 2014.

Pandemic: The Cure is also high on my "curious about" list as is Black Orchestra. I will definitely be buying the expansion for Bruges when it becomes available here in the States. I

I am sure there are probably more upcoming titles I could list, but I will stop now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really looking forward to a couple of expansions, Clash of Cultures: Civilizations and Cyclades: Titans. Dead of Winter looks fun and even though it is already out I am looking forward to getting some Marvel Dice Masters when they become more readily available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to know what's got everyone so excited about Marvel Dice Masters...I'm going to have to look that up.

I am excited to hear about the new Feld games and will keep a lookout for them. Also preordered Machi Koro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [23] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.