Subject: Playable over several sessions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was lucky enough to pick this up (open but unpunched) recently (and bought the Shattered Empire expansion at a good price at the UK Expo).

I was wondering if this is a game that could be played over several sessions ... is it possible to save the state of the game (photos, baggies, large envelopes) and then set it up again a week later?

I'm going to have a good read of the rules on Thursday but I'd like to suggest it to the group on Wednesday if it looked a possibility (we can only play from 8 - 11pm).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
its possible, but it would be a fair amount of work. The game is played in rounds that provide a good stopping point. The recording of the info is what will take some time.

keep in mind that 3 player games can be finished in 3 hours. (probably not until you play it a few times however. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it's possible. Each player's techs/hand/planet cards can be easily stored in envelopes or something, writing the score is pretty easy. I would also assume you would stop between rounds (when everything gets reset) so you don't need to track activations.

The hardest part, by far, is going to be the board. The tiles will need to be in the right place and tracking where each ship is could be a pain.

It's possible, but be really sure you want to take the time to set it back up next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a game over many sessions, but I left it out on the table. So, yes, you could do it with a lot of photos to make sure you capture all the details, but setting everything back up would be a huge chore. I suppose it's a matter of whether you are up to that challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Should be possible, but a lot of work. Stopping at the end of a round would be best. Off the top of my head:

Quickest way would be to use lots of zip-locks. Take a picture of the board and throw each hex with units in a separate bag. Much quicker than recording each unit....it would take a while to write down each location....

Baggie all the players purchased tech cards, CC, TG, and so on....

Make sure you write down who has the speaker token, where the CCs are at on player sheets, and so on.

(I would also write down my thoughts on my strategy, but that's me.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
enoon wrote:
I was wondering if this is a game that could be played over several sessions ... is it possible to save the state of the game (photos, baggies, large envelopes) and then set it up again a week later?

Possible, yes, but also nightmarishly hard. It wouldn't be my first pick for such a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The suggestions you make about HOW to do it are what I had in mind.

Clearly there are some things I don't understand about the implications of doing it though

I'm trying to find a way to get it played as we struggle with long-duration games as most folks I play with work for a living (I'm pretty-much retired ) and have wives, families, girlfriends, chores etc etc

Thanks for the tips.

I'll have to punch it and get a grip of the 'look and feel' of what I'm proposing on Thursday. At least I know it's a theoretical possibility - thanks, everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this one over multiple sessions, but I've played others. I find the best way is to just leave it set up and pick up where you left off. Easier if there's an out-of-the-way place to put the table and you don't have kids or cats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh ... it's the pub!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
Ahh ... it's the pub!

Are you going to have room for the game in the first place?
The thing is huge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well ... maybe that's another issue to consider. Cough. We do have enough room for 'larger' games like Francis Drake and Bolide with a bit of table moving. I think I'll just have a look in the image gallery ... ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rio
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1042049/twilight-imperium...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great pic.
Note that it does not include the expansion, which can add 2 more rings to the board (which my group always uses regardless) and can add 2 more players, but that piece is up to your group.

Side note: I wish my games were that neat and tidy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
enoon wrote:
Clearly there are some things I don't understand about the implications of doing it though

There's a lot of it, and practically everything is done with components not notes.

Consider, say, Star Fleet Battles; there's a lot of state in the game, but most of it is in the Energy Allocation Forms, the ship displays, the controller's chart. Write down some ship and seeking weapon facings and positions, put the counters from the current game in a little box so they're all together, fold up the map. You're done inside 5 minutes, and you can resume inside 5 minutes.

There's a lot of state in TI3 and all of it is in the form of physical things. You don't just have to collect up all that stuff in the photo and pack it away (although _that_ takes long enough in and of itself), you have to make notes of where most of it was, or pack it up in a clever way that preserves its state (and you'll only be able to do that with a few things, like technology and planet cards).

Is it possible, in the sense that you could start unpacking TI3 at 8pm, finish packing it up before chucking-out time, and get some TI3 played inbetween? Yes. Is it practical, in the sense that the ratio of packing and unpacking to actual play would be satisfactory? Not in my opinion, particularly given the way that trips to the bar and loo breaks tend to make the pace of play in a pub quite slow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
Ahh ... it's the pub!

Ah! Well. That's trickier.

As others have said, though, maybe bag up each player's components separately and take a high-res photo of the state of the game so you can rebuild it. Any facedown Distant Suns tokens and that sort of thing can just be replaced randomly the next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
especially since it's your first session, just play for three hours and see how far you get. you'll enjoy the experience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks folks

The setup is not such an issue (I'm able to get there early) and I think we can manage the space (it's not busy Wednesday evenings and we often occupy 4 pub tables, albeit not in one big area. I'll have to set-aside some time (and space) to unpack the beast and have a run through!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This week is Bolide week. I'll see what the chaps think, but I might suggest we break ourselves in gently to an SF theme with Merchants of Venus next week, depending on numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Christmas Island
Montreal
msg tools
mb
enoon wrote:
Ahh ... it's the pub!

Now that's a pub I'd like to drink in!

Enjoy your gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob mackenzie
msg tools
multiple sessions sounds hard. best way i would think of doing it as some have suggested is lots of bags and photos. placing each tile that has units on it in a seperate bag. all the ones that dont can be put together. then set up again from photos.

own player stuff: each person chucks their stuff ina bag that they have, stuff they dont goes in another bag.

play with basic rules, dont include distant suns - they slow the game down.

command counters and where they are ona race sheet wont matter. since they can be redistributed.

it actually sounds pretty simple granted u already have alot of bags and a camera that u can read tiles off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.