Harbour» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Harbour- BIG game feel inside of a MICRO-GAME! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Miletti
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I have been given a Print on Demand copy with prototype parts, but otherwise a complete game to test play and review for TMG! The Building cards look like they may be final copy or at least close to, but everything else is prototype, so i will not be mentioning anything about components. Here is a quick and simple review of the game and how its played. And My thoughts at the end. Keep in mind I have only played with 2 players as of this review, and will be doing a final review after more time and plays with 3-4 players.

GOAL:
Have the most VP at end of game. (VP are only on buildings you own)

GAMEPLAY:
Each player receives a player board, Player token, and goods markers.

Each player can choose to set up their resources to a total of 3 goods of their choice to start the game with.

Market is then filled with goods markers randomly.

Buildings are placed faced up, equal to # of players +3.

Choose a player to go first.

On your turn you place your Worker token in/on a building, and resolve its special action to the best of your ability ( adding, subtracting, multiplying goods ETC.), Or place token in/on a building allowing you to sell goods for money to buy any face up building. Leave token there until your next turn. Next players turn, and they do the same thing.

*Important note You must choose a new building that is unoccupied by another player. (Something I misunderstood during first play, thinking you returned workers at end of day, to then send out again. My mistake, rules do state this, though it took a little bit to find exactly where it is).-Unless you have a special ability that tells you otherwise (Diplomat).

* NOTE- You Sell goods for money at the current exchange rate (also depleting all your goods of the type/types you sell), then immediately use the money earned to buy a building, you don't hold onto actual coins, I.E. no stocking up on money.

Play continues this way until a player has bought their 4th building, then each player including the one who just bought the 4th building, gets one extra turn.

MY THOUGHTS:

Now this is just a basic overview of the game, this game has a lot more depth to it than it sounds. And for a Micro-Game this game rocks! Each player board has a unique ability that only the owner can take advantage of, the building cards have icons on them that can swing the game for a player and add a bit of strategy, and maybe best of all: the game doesn't take FOREVER like other worker placement games. You don't feel overwhelmed with choices, and the consequences of wrong choices. So lets get on with some things I like and dont like

LIKE:
-I absolutely love the Art work, it is fun and humorous.
-The Market is a very cool mechanic that adds economy into the game, and this is very difficult to accomplish in games that allow 2 players.
-The Game FLOWS very nicely. Not a lot of downtime between turns.
-Very strategic for the size, Big game feel in a little game.
-Easy to teach (once you understand the Market)

DISLIKE:
- I did have some trouble with the rules being clear, Page numbers could have helped a lot, but i expect the final copy to be a rule"book" of sorts, so it might not be an issue.
- The Market explanation was confusing at first, made more so because in my copy the explanation must have been for a different layout of the market than I received.
- On the market board, The good icons have a $ sign, and the ship Icons have a $ sign, a little redundant ( I know a little bit picky here, but it really would clean it up a little bit)
- One of the Main concerns I have had in recent plays lately is the balance of the player board abilities, Mainly the Bookkeeper and Entrepreneur. I feel like the Bookkeeper is very over powered, and should read more like the warehouse ability on the cards instead, or even that you can keep one good of each you sell instead of keeping any excess goods. The Entrepreneur feels very very weak comparatively, because his ability only ever happens if you are the one to trigger end of game, as to where each of the other ones have an in game effect of some sort.
- Lastly and this is minor, it is easy to accidentally bump your player board and mess up your goods markers (ANNOYING LOL) could be cool if there could be sliding markers attached to the board or something similar, but again not a deal breaker for me.

I am looking forward to continuing to play this game because its a nice quick strategy game that definitely will hit the table. I am looking forward to playing it more with 3-4 players to see if any of the issues above seem to be less of an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comments, we greatly appreciate all of them so that we can make adjustments as needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.