Subject: [DECK] Runnin' Rielle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Chandler
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever since she was spoiled I've been determined to make a Kit deck work.

I've failed a lot. Her ability is quick to shut off (just throw a code gate as the outermost piece of ice... and lord help you against RP where you'll NEVER use your ability on a remote), and her lack of influence is pretty crippling.

But I think I've got something that's pretty nasty now. I've been tweaking it for a while and I think I've got something that can really compete. Went 4-1 in the last tournament I played in. The thought process that lead to this deck was "her ability is the strongest at the beginning of the game. There are some very efficient code gate breakers out there and for a few turns they can't stop you getting in anywhere. It's like a free inside job once a turn"

What would you do with a free inside job once a turn, that you could add run events to?

You'd use a lot of nasty run events! Get some nasty pressure early and ride that wave to the end.

I call it Runnin' Rielle

Runnin' Rielle (45 cards)

Rielle "Kit" Peddler: Transhuman

Event (22)
1 Account Siphon ••••
1 Escher
2 Indexing
2 Planned Assault ••••
3 Scavenge
1 Stimhack
3 Sure Gamble
3 Test Run
3 The Maker's Eye
3 Tinkering

Hardware (8)
3 Akamatsu Mem Chip
3 Plascrete Carapace
2 R&D Interface

Resource (3)
3 Same Old Thing

Icebreaker (6)
1 Cyber-Cypher
1 Deus X
1 Femme Fatale
1 Inti
1 Omega
1 Torch

Program (6)
3 Magnum Opus
1 Paintbrush
2 Self-modifying Code

Built with http://netrunner.meteor.com/

If I were to sum it up in a few sentences it's an R&D digging deck that forces you to protect HQ (You'd be shocked how many folks don't until the first siphon hits) and double up all your remotes. Beyond that it's a cheater deck; it wants to cheat out its expensive pieces.

Key Strategies:

1. The deck lives and dies on its ability to get Magnum opus into play. SMC it if you must. Test run is your last option. You want to save those for Torch and Omega. Either way get Magnum into play and don't be afraid to abuse it. This is your Desperado: You mulligan if you don't see it and you tutor for it if you can. This deck is about big runs and bigger turns.

2. Get an indexing or account siphon off early. Preferably a siphon. It'll set you up well for your economy and force the corp to spend more time taking care of HQ than they want to against this deck. Cyber Cypher is your early game breaker sure to be replaced by Torch midgame... but you can bounce it around using scavenge if you need to. Use Planned Assault to get the event you find strongest. This will typically be Siphon as you only have one in your deck and it's almost as valuable in archives as it is in your hand (due to same old thing) but if they iced HQ and not R&D tutor up that indexing baby.

Early game it's all about indexing and siphon. Late game it's all about makers eye (since R&D will be expensive to get through and often require a tinkering at that point).

3. Don't play Omega until you're pretty sure they're trying to score an agenda. They're going to double ice their remotes. Omega is how you surprise them.

4. Make them rez ice. This serves many purposes: It teases out code gates. Knowing that an inner piece of ice is also a code gate is a wonderful thing. Then you can run with impunity. Finding swordsmen while you still have your 'it's a code gate' ability is key as well. You don't want that to surprise you and eat your omega. It allows paintbrush to be effective, makes sure you don't waste tinkering on ice that is already a code gate or other easily passed ice (NOTHING is worse than tinkering what turns out to be a pup or pop up window), and discovers targets for Escher. Knowing what the runner has out there is key.

5. By midgame you want torch out so you can threaten anything. You'd like to get it via Stimhack/SMC or Testrun/Scavenge but if you have to pay for it there are worse things.

6. You only have one Femme, but scavenge can move her around a lot. Try to use her as a surprise to steal an agenda behind a pretty nasty ice wall.

7. Same Old Thing is the workhorse here. Use it to siphon again, index again, tinker again, scavenge or test run again... it grants you incredible flexibility.

8. Late game Escher is just brutal. Use it to put a nice line of code gates in front of R&D or to turn their scoring server into paper.

9. Splashes: Inti is around for wraparound. Deus X is around for the latest Jinteki shenanigans. Paintbrush is a late game play. I'm THIS close to taking it out. This deck is memory intensive. Painfully so. Paintbrush usually doesn't get played without trashing a magnum opus. It's a 'Well, you've made a 5 deep scoring server and I need some magic to get through... I've just clicked for 8 creds twice. My warchest is ready. Let's do this' kind of play. When you get low again, trash paintbrush to bring your opus back. It's a desperation / match point move and has saved my bacon a few times, but I'm not sure it's worth the dead draw in other games. Tinkering + Same Old Thing has almost always been enough.

10. Run run run. Yes I said it before but it bears repeating. Click for 6 credits and run is a great turn. Keep that pressure on. Trash EVERYTHING. This is one of the few decks that can keep up with trashing Redcoats' assets (between siphon and MO). It also doesn't care about closed accounts (unless you're getting ready to make the paintbrush play). I can have everything back pretty quickly through MO.

Thoughts:
I think Paintbrush may need to go. Not nearly as strong as I had hoped. You only get its ability for one run and the memory cost is just brutal. This deck really wants one mem chip in place, Torch, Omega, MO, and one of Femme, Inti, or Deus X depending on what you're most about.

Stimhack is the weakest of the run events. It helps tutor up the Torch sometimes, but that's about it. Not nearly as strong late game as it is early. I would LOVE to find room for Legwork but it's just not happening. I'd have to give up the Femme and she's pretty vital. the whole point of the deck is flexibility and guaranteed run event hits and she helps a ton with both. Any suggestions as to how I can better spend that one influence?

Thought about Blackmail as another tutorable event, but this deck really wants Corp ice rezzed so there's not a lot of synergy there.

Interested in what you folks think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
djc6535 wrote:

I LIKE siphon, I do, but that's a lot of influence and I'm wondering what the deck would do if you did this instead:

-1 Siphon, -1 Paintbrush
+1 Vamp, +1 Legwork

Same structure, but you power Vamp with opus and really keep them at 0. Spamming siphon is extremely effective, but Legwork is very effective too and Vamp might do that job.

Not saying this is the path forward. You've clearly tested and had some success, but were this me, this is something I would test. I can see how the siphon money really helps early game with making those runs and keeping the corp poor. Vamp is more of a late game trick, but if RP is a problem and you haven't run that remote yet, Vamp can almost always get you in if you're up on credits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could drop Siphon to fit in 2 Legworks, but since you think your strategy is based around it you might not think that is a great idea(I do, Legwork is absurd).

My influence package in Kit is:

2 Legwork
1 Yog.o
1 Femme Fatale
2 Stimhack
1 Parasite

I've been playing Kit since worlds and I'm super happy with my list, but I would never even consider Siphon in it. One reason is it basically forces you to play Plascrete which is another card I dislike. I think Kit wants to play an aggressive early game that transitions into consistent late game pressure.

Kit's strength is adaptability to changing game states, spending 80% of your influence to jam 1 Account Siphon in(I know Planned Assault has other uses, but being able to fetch Siphon is the reason you are playing it) means that you are all-in on her early game advantage so you have to shore up the late game with bad cards like Paintbrush and Tinkering.

Our lists have 19 cards in common, so I guess it's safe to say I prefer a different approach.

How long has the Siphon been in your list?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher MacLeod
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
djc6535 wrote:
It's like a free inside job once a turn

If you play Yog it's a free inside job once a turn.

With Cyber Cypher or Torch it's a free Tinkering once a turn which is not nearly as exciting. For example I'm pretty happy to rez Hive or Komainu on turn 1 and have you still pay 5 to get through it.

Paintbrush takes way too much MU.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
Paintbrush is a build-around card if I've ever seen one. It doesn't work well added into otherwise complete decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
Zebadiah wrote:
Paintbrush is a build-around card if I've ever seen one. It doesn't work well added into otherwise complete decks.

I've found that the functional difference between paintbrush and opus is minimal, assuming you're using a highly efficient breaker to get in. The card want's some love from the now nonexistant collective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Chandler
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maghd wrote:
spending 80% of your influence to jam 1 Account Siphon in(I know Planned Assault has other uses, but being able to fetch Siphon is the reason you are playing it) means that you are all-in on her early game advantage so you have to shore up the late game with bad cards like Paintbrush and Tinkering.

Well that's not true at all. I run planned assault for Siphon, Indexing, and Escher. It's a fantastic Swiss army knife in this deck.

Edit: Also, while I am inclined to agree that Paintbrush is a bad card and needs to go, Tinkering is just a monster in here. Tinkering means you need to have 4 pieces of ice, with none of the middle pieces of ice being code gates, in order to cause me heartache on a server. And this quote

Maghd wrote:
One reason is it basically forces you to play Plascrete which is another card I dislike

Is really interesting to me. I've found that you simply can't play without Plascrete now a days. There are too many assets that you can't let live (San San) and the corp has so much money now that there's no way to be consistently out of sea-scorch/punitive counter strike range without it. Against GRNDL it's almost impossible to run until your plascrete is on the table.

It's clear you disagree. Would love to know your strategies for staying safe when stealing 3 cost agendas, or getting through an expensive server.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Chandler
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gumOnShoe wrote:
djc6535 wrote:

I LIKE siphon, I do, but that's a lot of influence and I'm wondering what the deck would do if you did this instead:

-1 Siphon, -1 Paintbrush
+1 Vamp, +1 Legwork

Same structure, but you power Vamp with opus and really keep them at 0. Spamming siphon is extremely effective, but Legwork is very effective too and Vamp might do that job.

Not saying this is the path forward. You've clearly tested and had some success, but were this me, this is something I would test. I can see how the siphon money really helps early game with making those runs and keeping the corp poor. Vamp is more of a late game trick, but if RP is a problem and you haven't run that remote yet, Vamp can almost always get you in if you're up on credits.

I actually tested with Vamp and more Planned Assault (At the time I was severely underestimating the strength of legwork)... and it didn't work nearly as well, for 2 reasons I think:

1. The early game money is huge for getting Torch out early if you didn't pull your cheater set. It can even help get your Opus on the table quickly too.

2. Vamp is a midgame card. Siphon is strong early. Vamp is good for draining the corp to nothing to sweep through a bunch of unrezzed ice. Siphon can do that well, but it doesn't bankrupt the corp unless you hit it early. This deck doesn't expect a lot of unrezzed ice by mid game. That's too dangerous. It also needs a lot of money to operate and going broke to make the corp go broke is a tough sell. It's also much harder to get into HQ midgame than it is early game.

I could see giving up the siphon for doubling down on Legwork (It is that strong a card)... or 1 legwork and 3 influence (ditching stimhack) for... hmm.. not sure what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heckle Jekyll
United States
Knox
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my Kit decks I've been experimenting with the following icebreakers:

2 x Gordian Blade
1 x Yog
3 x Knight
1 x Crypsis

Gordian Blade can arguably be more efficient than Torch, the increase strength lasts for the run and install cost is reasonable if drawn early (compared to Torch).

However, with the Knights and Crypsis, the programs are getting click expensive (and I also have Paintbrush = more click expense). Although, I risk losing the Knights with a Corp uninstall, being able to move those Knights around is sweet.

I do think the Omega is a very smart choice, and am still on the fence on the Femme.

The one main suggestion I'd have though is simply replacing Torch with Gordian Blade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djc6535 wrote:
Maghd wrote:
One reason is it basically forces you to play Plascrete which is another card I dislike

Is really interesting to me. I've found that you simply can't play without Plascrete now a days. There are too many assets that you can't let live (San San) and the corp has so much money now that there's no way to be consistently out of sea-scorch/punitive counter strike range without it. Against GRNDL it's almost impossible to run until your plascrete is on the table.

It's clear you disagree. Would love to know your strategies for staying safe when stealing 3 cost agendas, or getting through an expensive server.

I play 3x Katie Jones as my meat damage defense, it works pretty well as long as you know when to shift into econ mode. As far as 3-point agendas, the corp has to have a lot more cash than you to fire off double Punitive(this assumes you have some cash on hand, you should be well above 10 credits every turn against people who are running Scorched/Punitive).

I used to think SanSan was a big problem for this deck, I even played an Imp for a long time just for SanSan and Scorched Earth, but then I realized I could change the way I played to mitigate the damage those cards did. Against most SanSan decks you can just run hyper aggressively in the early game to try to keep them off of safely rezzing a SanSan(without creating huge gaps in their defenses for several turns). By the time they do rez it you should have some points scored so it's just a race, Legwork after a rezzed SanSan seems pretty strong. Against TwiY I have been trying to stay around 2 or 3 cards in hand after my first turn to hinder recovery by Sweeps Week.

People don't play a lot of GRNDL around here, and I agree it is a stressful matchup in the early game but you can probably make some safe runs on the first few turns, concentrating on HQ to see what's up because they have to have double Scorch or Double Punitive to actually kill you and the odds of that in their opener along with SEA or an Agenda for you to steal is not high enough to completely shut down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maghd wrote:
I play 3x Katie Jones as my meat damage defense, it works pretty well as long as you know when to shift into econ mode. As far as 3-point agendas, the corp has to have a lot more cash than you to fire off double Punitive(this assumes you have some cash on hand, you should be well above 10 credits every turn against people who are running Scorched/Punitive).

If you have 0 Link and 4 Credits (and just stole a 3-pointer), the Corp only needs 6 Credits and 2 Clicks to double-Punitive you to death.

They need 11 Credits and 3 Clicks to double-Scorch you.

The problem isn't Running with 10 Credits, the problem is having enough Credits after the Run is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hopkins
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A while ago, I ran a Kit deck with Omega and Torch, it was really good knowing you could get in basically anywhere. I added Paintbrush and the whole thing just seemed to fall apart and I couldn't get the magic back. Having to have the ICE exposed before you could 'brush it made the whole thing too awkward, and you were vulnerable to facechecking (something Kit can pretty effectively avoid). I still think that's a deck I'll come back to, maybe with some of the cool new criminal expose/forced rez tricks (and I'm determined to sneak Morningstar/Dinosaurus in there...).

Anyway, I digress. I agree Paintbrush should probably go.

I think 2 x Indexing and SoT is really strong in any deck at the moment to avoid those Shi.Kyus and other traps. Tinkering and Omega means you can get back into R&D pretty another couple of times in the same turn to take advantage (or Index into Maker's Eye).

I also think dropping a Yog.0 in MIGHT be a good idea. I certainly think you'll get more use out of that than Stimhack? Komainu seems to be everywhere at the moment, and Yog.0 breaks it for the grand cost of... zero. Allows a fairly safe first turn Siphon if you drop the Yog!

2 Legwork over Siphon could be a good call too, it definitely bears testing... Once you see 2 RDI, you think that the Runner might stop hitting your hand, but dropping an Omega, a Tinkering and a Legwork means you can dash in and grab any agendas when the Corp has let their HQ guard down!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
etherial wrote:
Maghd wrote:

If you have 0 Link and 4 Credits (and just stole a 3-pointer), the Corp only needs 6 Credits and 2 Clicks to double-Punitive you to death.

They need 11 Credits and 3 Clicks to double-Scorch you.

The problem isn't Running with 10 Credits, the problem is having enough Credits after the Run is over.

When I said 10 credits I meant in the bank, not available for runs, it's not hard to get to the point that you can make a run and still have 10 banked, in this scenario if you steal a 3-pointer and have 4 cards in hand the corp needs 18 credits to kill you with Punitive, 16 with double Scorched. For every credit you gain the Punitive kill gap increases by two, the Scorch gap will always be 6(in your scenario they need 10 credits, not 11). The game becomes more about relative bank accounts and less about probing runs. It is difficult for a corp to keep up with an active Katie Jones. When you shrink the gap you start running, when the gap widens you stop. When the corp starts installing agendas they either spend money rezzing ICE to protect them or they allow you to steal them without taking a big hit to your bank account.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maghd wrote:
it's not hard to get to the point that you can make a run and still have 10 banked

Against HB Glacier, which is the most common deck to use Counterstrikes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Burkhead
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
hsiale wrote:
Maghd wrote:
it's not hard to get to the point that you can make a run and still have 10 banked

Against HB Glacier, which is the most common deck to use Counterstrikes?

I've played kit builds vs glacier HB (nearly decked a 54 card one with my old kithole deck). And it's actually easier vs HB. Yes it can cost you more to get through, a 6 ice deep R&D is a royal pain, but careful play can keep them to 11 or less credits, which is downright broke for HB. On top of which even one Bioroid makes it that much easier. You're only ever going to break one that way, but that can easily be the difference. For people who don't play kit you have to understand that you run unrezzed ice very rarely. And almost never in a possition when you can't break it. This lets you do perfect math for scoring. The corp has to go 3 deep on every server just to have a hope of keeping you out. Honestly its harder vs Weyland, since Weyland can have both punitive and scorch you have to play a little less aggressively early. Doable, winnable, just more of a pain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McCoy
msg tools
What is everyones opinion of Parasite Kit?

We all know Kit is strongest with multi-access run events: legwork and makers.

But what about Parasite? Corps love to throw shitty little Quandrys and cheap ice in front of their real ice vs Kit, and Parasite would let you remove them and force the Corp to keep paying install costs to protect their expensive ice from being turned into a code gate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.