Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Hegemonic» Forums » Rules

Subject: Attacking with multiple agents/fleets during a single attack action? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Cordz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, I was playing a game the other day and the following question came up.

If I have multiple fleets/agents in an enemy hex, can I use all of them to calculate my power, or can I only pick one to participate in the battle? Normally this situation is unlikely to occur, as one would have to use one action to move the first fleet into the hex without triggering a battle, and then another action to move another fleet in and trigger the battle.

However, this tactic becomes much more viable once someone has researched the techs which give +1 range to their fleets/agents. With this tech, by keeping a fleet or two in a hex adjacent to multiple enemy hexes, it would be possible to add their power to any military combats that occur in any of the six adjacent hexes, which is quite powerful. Was this how it was intended to work? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain Stupendous wrote:
Hey all, I was playing a game the other day and the following question came up.

If I have multiple fleets/agents in an enemy hex, can I use all of them to calculate my power, or can I only pick one to participate in the battle? Normally this situation is unlikely to occur, as one would have to use one action to move the first fleet into the hex without triggering a battle, and then another action to move another fleet in and trigger the battle.

However, this tactic becomes much more viable once someone has researched the techs which give +1 range to their fleets/agents. With this tech, by keeping a fleet or two in a hex adjacent to multiple enemy hexes, it would be possible to add their power to any military combats that occur in any of the six adjacent hexes, which is quite powerful. Was this how it was intended to work? Thanks!

You can only count the 1 agent or fleet actually attacking.
However, when you attack with military, you can also count any fleets in the same hex as the primary outpost (the one with range to the attacking fleet that you are counting range to/from to calculate the total attack strength).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cordz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Aaron, that's what I figured based on the rules, but it just didn't seem to make much sense that if I had two fleets in the same hex I could only count one of them, but could add fleets from an outpost possibly up to two hexes away!

Another question then, if I have the tech that gives fleets +1 range, could I add the power from fleets in hexes adjacent to the primary supporting outpost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cordz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm, still no answer to the second question posted above?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain Stupendous wrote:
Thanks Aaron, that's what I figured based on the rules, but it just didn't seem to make much sense that if I had two fleets in the same hex I could only count one of them, but could add fleets from an outpost possibly up to two hexes away!

Another question then, if I have the tech that gives fleets +1 range, could I add the power from fleets in hexes adjacent to the primary supporting outpost?

No, only in the hex containing the outpost (stationed at the outpost). The +1 range only applies to the fleet actually making the attack.

I think the thematic logic is that the logistics of space make it hard to coordinate more than 1 fleet in an attack, but the fleets at the primary outpost can make sorties/commerce raiding/support attacks to hinder the defender. Those fleets have to actually be based at the supporting outpost either based on communication, logistical, or other similar reasons. Other outposts in range of the primary outpost can send supplies or provide other support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abredon wrote:

You can only count the 1 agent or fleet actually attacking.
However, when you attack with military, you can also count any fleets in the same hex as the primary outpost (the one with range to the attacking fleet that you are counting range to/from to calculate the total attack strength).

Sorry to necro this thread, but to clarify, are you saying that if I have two fleets in the target hex and I choose one of them to "sponsor" an attack, it can get support from a nearby outpost, but none at all from the fleet in the same hex? But if that second fleet was 2 hexes away with the supporting outpost is would lend it's strength?

I guess I see there could be a thematic explanation for it, but it seems very strange to not just be able to fly two fleets side-by-side in a coordinated attack when one could instead provide support from a distance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may attack with several units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.