Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry for the cross post with the KS comments, but I wanted to make sure the creator(s) see this item.

There is a very considerable learning curve for this game. I would argue that this is a game that requires many plays to fully "get" as it now is. There are some nice features the game has that help, but don't do enough to fully get newer players over the hump. If I take this game to my weekly game night, I want to have my other players have a good enough time learning the game (ie don't get frustrated) that they are willing to play another dozen times to fully learn the game. If the game can't be taught without being overly difficult, I'll have a very pretty game that only collects dust on my shelf. The first time I play with a newbie, I need to be able to not only teach them the game, but they have to have fun playing so that they are willing to play a second, third, or fourth time. If they are overwhelmed after game one, I'm never going to get a game two out of them.

The player aids and Ipad apps are a good starting point, but there is something I STRONLY encourage you to consider as an Add on for people to buy in this campaign that will make a HUGE difference in allowing owners of this game to get people to play this game with them: Teaching decks.

If I'm going to teach this game, I want to use a simple teaching set of cards players new to the game could use that include printed text on the card's face (and back for the towers) explaining the rules. Better yet, these decks could be predesigned so that new players wouldn't have to bother drafting cards (and it would be cheaper for the creators to print out). That way, each "Teaching deck" would be merely 24 cards long and have writing on both sides to explain how the cards work.

I'm sure backers would gladly pay for this add on deck of only 24 cards if it would help them to teach others how to play the game (and how much fun it is to play).

Think of the teaching decks as adding training wheels for new players so that they can learn the game while playing against more experienced players, and better yet, experienced players can have an easier time teaching the game.

The nice thing about having teaching decks is that once players become more familiar with the game, newbies can easily transition to the "real" game complete with non-text cards and deck drafting.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE consider adding "teaching" decks as an add on so that I don't have another kickstarter game that simply collects dust on my shelf because I can't get anyone to play due to the rules (Myth I'm looking at you!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Sudbury
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
publisher
No problem on the cross post. Definitely, as I said there, I think this is a very interesting idea. Well framed and argued. I think I shied away from this kind of thing before because of the blow-back we might get for selling people "decks to learn our decks." Heh, that would would still be true! But if we can make them cheaply enough and sell them at cost (and shipping), to make it a square deal, and people want them, then yes it sounds good.

The only technical hurdles would be ensuring that we can fit a reasonable and functional card cheat sheet on the cards. And then, of course, sourcing them efficiently. And those can be handled with time. These cards would be functional and resemble the cards found in other such games, 24 card starter deck designs, fairly straightforward, yah, it could work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a fantastic idea. I'd back if it was offered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one wouldn't hesitate to buy it as an add on and I think a lot of others would too. I think you'll here complaints about things no matter what you do. My advice is that something like a "training deck" can only help sell your game. Anybody who complains about "these decks not being included in the game already" wouldn't have bought the game without them anyhow, so it isn't like you'd be losing a sale.

The price of the game itself isn't chump change and I view this sort of an add on as insurance that I'll be able to get the most mileage out of this game as possible.

Also, I for one would like the option to buy extra cloth player aids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Sudbury
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
publisher
I have to thank you guys for pushing on the training deck idea. Because I do now see that there may be a significant number of people who are interested in Ortus Regni but not without something like that, training decks, for those game night gatherings.

Ah, forgot to add that we do have some extra cloth cheat sheets coming, which we can make available, when we pin that number down. I can also look into having even more produced if your wish is shared by enough folks. Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem! If we didn't care about this game we wouldn't speak out. I for one have been studying this game since the first day of BGG adds and think the gameplay itself could be on par with some of my favorite tableau builders like Glory to Rome and Race for the Galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got some post GenCon thoughts on this aspect of the game.

I've now taught the game to six regular gamers, teens to adults. Most are not hardcore wargamers but do have some experience with card games, Euros, etc.

I used the makeup of the training decks, but not the decks themselves, preferring to teach them the pictures right away (and not using the card guide tapestries either).

We laid out the decks organized by card type, and I went over the turn structure and how various cards interacted and actions you could take.

After the first game, no one had any trouble or was asking what a particular card did any more. As battles came up and jousts, etc., I'd go over the rules then. By the second games, we were making our own decks and having at it.

My point is this: the game is NOT hard to teach and anyone used to strategy games should have no problem picking it up quickly. I know the game has been criticized for it's "information free" cards but really, that's a complete non-issue with the kids and adults I've played the game with.

Great game. Looks beautiful. Play is a ton of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.