Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Lawson
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, I'm just getting into this game (finally)! I'm going to focus exclusively on Imperials for now, both because I'll be able to afford more ships and because I'll be forced to focus my learning curve. As of right now, I have the Core Set, Imperial Aces, a TIE Fighter, and an Interceptor.

I'll be playing this game in two environments: 1. with my two friends who love Star Wars (and the Empire) as much as I do, but can't afford to buy into another expensive game at the moment, and 2. at the occasional tournament / league if I can find a store that runs them nearby.

So, first, I'd love some feedback on my "competitive" list. I've always loved Squints, and Baron Fel is a badass, so that's where I started:

- Soontir Fel, Royal Guard TIE + Push the Limit + Hull Upgrade + Targeting Computer
- Carnor Jax, Royal Guard TIE + Push the Limit + Hull Upgrade + Targeting Computer
- Night Beast
- Dark Curse

Second, I'd like some advice about what to purchase next. My primary goal is to buy enough stuff to field two decently balanced Imperial squads against each other so that I can play the game casually with my friends. I will definitely be purchasing the TIE Phantom when it comes out, but past that I'm not sure where to go. Maybe a TIE Advanced so we can run Vader + some TIE Fighters vs. three Interceptors?

Suggestions for ships that expand my options for leagues and such are great, but I plan to play with my Interceptor core in that setting for at least a little while, so that's secondary to a pair of fun squads to play with my friends.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse L
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For your first request - be careful throwing too many points at interceptors, they are solid ships, but a bit of a glass cannon. You have 35 points with Soontir, he is going to be a prime target and may not last more than a round or 2. Jax may help a bit if he can limit the use of focus. I like ptl and targeting computer on Soontir, but not sure about jax - he already has a lot of choices for actions not sure he needs more.

For your second request, tie advanced is really only good for vader, and even then, vader is not very tournament viable. I would say go Firespray, you can make some sweet Firespray lists
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordy Crozier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice is to fly it and see! I've spent a lot of time here and yes there are lists that come up over and over again that are "competitive" but I question whether they're fun or not. Try your list and see how it goes, your competition scene might be different to everyone else's so I reckon fly it and did you enjoy it?

As to what to buy go with what ships you like. B-Wings are tanks, Y-wings are "turret-tastic", X-wings are all rounders but so cool looking, A-wings are fast but get no love (but this will hopefully change), Hwks are almost big ships but not quite and Falcon's are the Falcon. As for the Imperials Tie Fighters are midgies (a Scottish/Irish mosquito) lots of them but doesn't take a lot to kill them, Tie Interceptors have awesome unique pilots and are finding their feet, Bombers are chunky monkeys with firepower but little maneuvering, Tie Advanced has Vader which is cool but they're expensive points wise, Firespray are Slave 1... don't just sit there buy one and the Imperial Shuttle is adaptable!

All have their uses but only you can decide if you like it. My first tournament I flew an X-wing, a B-Wing and an A-Wing, I had a blast flying them and although I was beaten repeatedly it was fun. The next one I flew a mini-swarm of named ties and an interceptor. I did slightly better but hated it! I wanted to be more competitive and in the right circumstances I would have been but I was bored! Competitive doesn't necessarily mean fun!

Please consider the words of someone who seriously considered selling their stuff as they found their joy disappearing as they tried to be more competitive. Just fly casual! Even in tournaments, give up on min, maxing and just get a buzz from flying childhood heroes!

Sorry rant over
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkey Prime wrote:
My advice is to fly it and see! I've spent a lot of time here and yes there are lists that come up over and over again that are "competitive" but I question whether they're fun or not. Try your list and see how it goes, your competition scene might be different to everyone else's so I reckon fly it and did you enjoy it?

As to what to buy go with what ships you like. B-Wings are tanks, Y-wings are "turret-tastic", X-wings are all rounders but so cool looking, A-wings are fast but get no love (but this will hopefully change), Hwks are almost big ships but not quite and Falcon's are the Falcon. As for the Imperials Tie Fighters are midgies (a Scottish/Irish mosquito) lots of them but doesn't take a lot to kill them, Tie Interceptors have awesome unique pilots and are finding their feet, Bombers are chunky monkeys with firepower but little maneuvering, Tie Advanced has Vader which is cool but they're expensive points wise, Firespray are Slave 1... don't just sit there buy one and the Imperial Shuttle is adaptable!

All have their uses but only you can decide if you like it. My first tournament I flew an X-wing, a B-Wing and an A-Wing, I had a blast flying them and although I was beaten repeatedly it was fun. The next one I flew a mini-swarm of named ties and an interceptor. I did slightly better but hated it! I wanted to be more competitive and in the right circumstances I would have been but I was bored! Competitive doesn't necessarily mean fun!

Please consider the words of someone who seriously considered selling their stuff as they found their joy disappearing as they tried to be more competitive. Just fly casual! Even in tournaments, give up on min, maxing and just get a buzz from flying childhood heroes!

Sorry rant over
Some of the best advice I've ever seen on this forum. This is a game, it's about having fun. I have multiple ships I've played very few times just because they are not "popular" in the tournament scene. I made a decision (and promptly broke it for Imdaar Alpha) to run new lists with "interesting" combos instead of min/max-ing. This has even opened up the option to play some of the scenarios (ya know, all those little extra tokens that you just toss into a bag and forget what they're used for?). So I'm hoping to spark some more fun out of those.

I also played my first epic match last night. That was crazy fun. I had more fun in that one game than I think in all of my tournament wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.