Hide
10 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: What setups do you use to teach new players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ilya Romalien
msg tools
What setups do you use to teach new players?

It would be great to have a balanced list of setups for new players(even not boardgamers).

Goal, is to make the game the most exciting for them, but not too complex. Not many ships + some interesting upgrades.

Not necessarily at 100 points, since then the newcomers can be confused about too many upgrades or maneuvers (if there are too many ships).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do the tutorial and judge their skill from there. I've had some people really struggled with just the basic but really enjoy it. Others can pick up the actions after 2-3 turns. I just expand from there. It allows me to judge their ability and apply the content as needed. Plus the basic tutorial should only take 10-15 mins esp if you can add in the actions after a round of combat.

When we are ready for actual points I ask questions like;

Do you like to do more damage but you are slower
Or do you like to do less damage and you can fly around your enemy better?

Do you like to attack head on or try to flank?

Do you want very few strong ships or a lot of fragile ships?

Etc etc

That way I can build something that fits what they like.

Also it works great if you can do a team game where you each get like 60 points. You can help walk them through things and help them remember actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's you playing against the newbie, I suggest you to fly 3 TIEs and the newbie to fly Chewbaca with a Gunner. The 360 turrets helps a lot with reliving the whole aiming in the arc thing and with the Gunner and increase the chances of a shot landing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The "I Have You Now" setup is pretty straightforward for new players...and thematic as well.

Casual Setups

Well, maybe after the "quick setup" if they are new to minis and/or gaming in general...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I teach new players I give them 2x X-Wings (rookies) with maybe Astromechs versus four academy pilots, no terrain. After the first match we switch the sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren B.
msg tools
mbmb
I have started always using asteroids with new players. It adds so much maneuvering to the game which is such a huge part of it. Without asteroids you easily end up in a simple head-on joust contest where you koiogran - joust until one side falls. It makes an unimpressive first game in my opinion.

Asteroids are tough but necessary is what I am trying to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lee
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Just use the quick start rules that came with the game for introduction. After that introduce the rest of the rules, ship upgrades, and obstacles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woodworth
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sorenbuus wrote:
Asteroids are tough but necessary is what I am trying to say.

If someone is still learning the rules, and things like how to set the dial, measure range, what a TL is... Having to fly around rocks is more then they need to deal with. At least until they get the basics down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the base game,

2 ties and 1 x-wing. No add on cards.

I want them to learn the mechanics and flow of the game first.
Everything else is butter...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mork Toblerone
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a complete beginner, I don't think I'd even worry about game balance, as long as you set it up so that he won't get wiped out fast. You can give them significantly more points, and explain that you are balancing their inexperience by giving them more ships, but still keep it simple. You could give them six Academy TIEs to fly against your two rookie X-wings and explain the game as you go. That way, you can still blast away at his ships, and he can lose a bunch, and still be in the game and have a good chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.