Popular Tags: [View All]
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I guess that's your loss for not counting POD expansions. By all accounts, The Laboratory was great, and indicates that FF is continuing to support not just the base game, but the already released expansions. That was released in late 2013.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
No need to be so pessimistic. Yellow Sign is excellent, as is the Laboratory. House of Fears and Season of the Witch are also pretty good. With CotW, and those PODs there are plenty of plays there. Keep in mind that this game is over three years old, there aren't going to be expansions on a regular schedule. Also, this isn't a card game, where expansions are churned out relentlessly.

While I haven't heard anything, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see another big box, at some point. In the meantime, get into some Yellow Sign/Laboratory POD love!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still play it. Who cares if it's "dead" or not? The game I have won't stop working. No need to be spoiled with constant expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They just reprinted both the base game and Call of the Wild. That seems a good indication that it's still selling. Not to mention the recent POD expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why wouldn't POD's count that is like saying that the small box expansions for Arkham Horror don't count as expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
petercox wrote:
The PODs don't count as far as I'm concerned.

There's your problem.

They do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
FFG release schedules can be weird sometimes. Battlestar Galactica released the base game, then an expansion a year later and another expansion a year after that, but then it took them almost three more years before the third expansion came out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petercox wrote:

Quote:
Why wouldn't POD's count that is like saying that the small box expansions for Arkham Horror don't count as expansions.

It's really not.

why not? Just like the small box expansions they add more cards, more adventures and more story to the game. they are fun addition models that keeps the game going. Basically like small box arkham expansions they add enough to the game to keep you playing until big box expansions are released. In the past FFG has released lots of expansions for games like Arkham Horror in a row, Kevin Wilson was designing them and FFG had a much smaller library of games. Now they have many many more to release and coming up with ideas, testing them and publish takes time. So the fact they haven't released any expansions in a while means almost nothing. Android hasn't had any, doesn't mean it is dead, they released Netrunner and a few other games in that world. More likely they just haven't thought of a good expansion Idea. Doom is dead, because it is out of print and no longer in stores, good game and had 1 expansion. Designing games and expansions take a long time, which is why small box or PODS are great, they are basically quick ideas that expand the game, big box or expansions like COTW take much longer to get right and release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
petercox wrote:
Differences are:

Cost for what you get.

Exactly. The MoM PoD expansions must cost enormously more to produce than is proportional to their retail cost compared to the Arkham/Eldritch Horror small box expansions. MoM scenarios are incredibly complex and intricate, with many moving part, and each one very different from scenarios that went before. AH/EH expansions are pretty much just the same skill test reframed a couple of dozen times with different flavour text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R H
United States
Bethany
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petercox wrote:
Differences are:
Availability, especially overseas.

Will FFG not ship overseas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree on the cost/effective subject, but I don't think you can count out PoDs just like that. I see MoM as a RPG-lite boardgame, and as in RPGs, publishing of modules/adventures helps tremendously to keep the game alive. I read somewhere the Laboratory PoD is a fantastic story and I don't mind paying a little more for that.

Plus, there is probably so much content (characters, monsters, etc.) you can release in the form of boxed expansions until everything starts looking samey (not saying we're there yet), whereas with PoDs, there's virtually unlimited possibilities.

About overseas availability, all PoDs appear regularly in my Spain-based online store, is that not your case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Huang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being dead to you and dead to FFG are two quite different things. I assume that the POD's are more profitable to them in comparison to regular expansions if they have only been releasing POD's recently. But just those releases tell us that the game is of enough value to them to support, even if it's not the kind of support that you would like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
petercox wrote:

I don't even understand how there's a debate about this...

Have I touched a nerve with people or something? I'm just pointing out there's a very long gap since the last major expansion. The game is clearly a scenario based expandable game (more like Descent than Battlestar) so the big hole in the boxed expansion release schedule seems like FFG are not focusing on MoM much any longer.

For the record, I think it is an excellent innovative game. I don't mean to throw any negativity at it. I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong.

It's probably due to your rather flippant comment that the PoD expansions "don't count", when it's likely more work goes into a single MoM PoD than went into, for example, the Eldritch Horror Forsaken Lore expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Martin
United Kingdom
Lincoln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely worth mentioning again the availability of POD products to international buyers though. Unless you're happy to buy loads of them at the same time, FFG's international shipping makes them crazy expensive. And seeing as the last time I paid that kind of crazy money only to end up with a copy of Silver Tablet, I'm wary of doing so again. Slightly off topic, but I'd like a copy of Stone of Erech POD (for Lord of the Rings lcg) but I don't want to pay that kind of price for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sakari Laiho
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... better later than bad expansions every month.

-I think they have brought different expansions, new things - and that needs lot of effort to bring something new every time.

-They should still release expansions more often - there are players who play more than me I play once in 2 months. Big one could come now - more monsters.

-I really like how dedicated people there are - who have done their own expansions.

-There are much potential in this game to release cooperative scenarios also.

-Maybe Descent is taking some room from Mom? ... more popular and different things going on like new coopsystem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
FFG release schedules can be weird sometimes. Battlestar Galactica released the base game, then an expansion a year later and another expansion a year after that, but then it took them almost three more years before the third expansion came out.

Exactly. Twilight Imperium also seemed "dead" — then Shards of the Throne was announced all of a sudden. Gears of War was declared dead more than once when it dropped off the radar after its announcement. And so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
petercox wrote:
Quote:
Will FFG not ship overseas?

I guess if you want to pay 30$ US for a POD then great!

Try to find an FFG Flagship store. Those have access to POD stuff, too. I know the Drachenäscht in Bern, Switzerland is one, they happen to be my FLGS but also do mail orders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I think if the PoD business model had been more advanced earlier in the last decade, any of the small box Arkham Horror expansions that only contained cards (No cardstock counter sheets) would have been done via PoD.

Talisman has just had its first PoD expansion (Designed by Talisman Guru Jon New) released by FFG. It's every bit as good as the boxed expansions. Jon is not the only author of renown to have written for PoD. A few VERY well known personalities have contributed to the MoM PoDs, Richard Launius, Tracy Hickman, Tom Jolly, and that's just off the top of my head.

IMHO, PoD doesn't invalidate an expansion. It just changes it's distribution model and to a certain extent, limits its content. As far as getting them outside of the US, I have seen PoDs available from Amazon (.com and .co.uk), the Book depository, and many online Australian retail game websites. Of course you can buy directly from FFG too.

The big plus to remember is that vis PoD, FFG have been able to offer us content that we might otherwise have had to wait for a box expansion for, or never see at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Josephus
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it may be difficult to balance scenarios in this game, as well as make sure everything functions smoothly in a scenario; I think that may be the cause of the delay. They certainly don't want another fiasco like they had with Forbidden Alchemy.googoo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It still would be nice to get another big box expansion though to get more monsters/investigators into the mix as well.

Some of my favorites aren't yet in the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.