Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look, the 10 can't be justified by some program, objectively. It's a feeling you get while playing, and after playing.

Battlestar Galactica is a "10" for me for that.
So is Mage Knight
Yedo is very close to that

and now, Cyclades.

I fell in love with it when a gamer buddy pulled it out at a game night, five player, he had the hades expansion... hades and the extra monsters and heroes. I realized I had to own this. Ordered for overnight shipping, played with my close friends, another five player. Sweat, tense, tense.

A few questions that came up:

Is the minotaur stuck in his position or can he move? (It's not super clear that he cannot move, although flavor text suggests so...)

When you do Polyphemus (spelling? name? the guy that repels fleets), it cannot allow any fleet to get pushed "sideways" such that it would still touch the island, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan White
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Eddie.

The Minotaur can't move; he just defends for a turn (not usually too useful unless you are certain to be attacked and there's no Ares/Hades avail. to you). Priestess cards just allow him to persist an extra round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan White
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, Polyphemus moves all ships one space away from the island he's on into a spot with no enemy ships (your choice where if you bought the card) - no sideways movement. You can push ships into the Kraken. If ships cannot be pushed away, they are destroyed. If a priestess allows him to stick around he does not continue to push again; it just means no ships can get close to the island.

-Jordan

Edited 'cause I failed to properly read the post ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to ask... priestess? Is that in Hades?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan White
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yep. they allow you keep a major monster on the board for an extra turn- a pretty neat ability!

Edit: I may have misinterpreted your post - I initially read that you played w/ Hades, but maybe you have the base game alone. sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the game a few months ago, and while I've only been able to play twice, it's really great. I'm looking forward to seeing how it is with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isthar wrote:
I have to ask... priestess? Is that in Hades?

Yep! Thematically, like everything in Cyc, it makes perfect sense. The vestal virgins either keep a monster in your employ (as food?) or a hero (other proclivities?).

I think if you love Cyc enough to give it a ten, you're going to need Hades. This one goes to 11
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doctoryes0 wrote:
I think if you love Cyc enough to give it a ten, you're going to need Hades. This one goes to 11

I love the idea of Hades, but personally:

Hades - I like
The new heroes/monsters - I like
The items/etc? ugh. now I think that's going too far, in most games
Module #1, well, it's just a "rule" you can already impl.

And I thus frankly value the Hades expansion to about $15, $20 tops. Sadly it's priced like a full retail game!

My first game was indeed with Hades and heroes and monsters but omitted the items and that new building type, and I think it was *just right*. Know also that I stand on not wanting to make Lords of Waterdeep expanded by skullport... sometimes more is better (mage knight!), sometimes I think it isn't that much much better...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isthar wrote:
doctoryes0 wrote:

I love the idea of Hades, but personally:

Hades - I like
The new heroes/monsters - I like
The items/etc? ugh. now I think that's going too far, in most games
Module #1, well, it's just a "rule" you can already impl.

And I thus frankly value the Hades expansion to about $15, $20 tops. Sadly it's priced like a full retail game!

My first game was indeed with Hades and heroes and monsters but omitted the items and that new building type, and I think it was *just right*. Know also that I stand on not wanting to make Lords of Waterdeep expanded by skullport... sometimes more is better (mage knight!), sometimes I think it isn't that much much better...

I hear ya, but you're forgetting the demigods, one of which is paired with the last god to play each turn. They have an enormous impact on the game.

And personally I really like the items. I think they're balanced and add another layer of creativity to your options, especially as the game ramps up at the end.

Also the Necropolis has a huge impact, and I love the river Styx idea of each warrior paying a coin to cross into the afterlife.

Honestly I think it's one of the best expansions I've ever seen.

And I have no problem giving a game and an expansion separate ratings. For example I think Snowdonia is an 8 but the Jungfraubahn expansion is brilliant and totally deserves a 10. Likewise the 10 I gave Hades has nothing to do with the 10 for Cyclades. If I thought it was just hype or a money-grab I would have rated it as such.

my .02!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.