Popular Tags: [View All]
Ruferto
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Smile every day
mbmbmbmbmb
I discovered this game 3 months ago, and It has become in my second favorite game.

BUT! I'm very dissappointed with a few details:

- I play this game alone. And I think there is more people like me that they play mainly alone. This game deserves official rules to play alone and/or decks for one player games

- The cards are chaotic. I'd love different colours for "At the end of your turn", "At the end of the environment turn", "at the start of the environment turn",... I mean, I don't want to need to read the card, when I look at my table I want to see the cards that apply to the current phase.

The "I" in the title refers to me and you. laugh
What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ruferto wrote:
I discovered this game 3 months ago, and It has become in my second favorite game.

BUT! I'm very dissappointed with a few details:

- I play this game alone. And I think there is more people like me that they play mainly alone. This game deserves official rules to play alone and/or decks for one player games

That you are misusing the product is not the responsibility of the product.

Quote:
- The cards are chaotic. I'd love different colours for "At the end of your turn", "At the end of the environment turn", "at the start of the environment turn",... I mean, I don't want to need to read the card, when I look at my table I want to see the cards that apply to the current phase.

Symbols would be better. Colours don't help the colourblind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play Sentinels of the Multiverse solo, the first thing I do is I only pick 4 heroes. The reason I pick four heroes is because of the introduction to the H mechanic. When the H mechanic first debuted in Rook City some people didn't like it - so it was originally stated somewhere that if you don't like it, just substitute H for the number 4. This can be seen with the likes of a villain like Spite who, with only three heroes make you feel you're not doing enough damage and with five you may get hit really hard because you have so many going against him. Scaling got better with future expansions.

As far as "End of Phase" "Start of Phase" mechanics, I suggest either going getting colored gemstones like red for end of phase, green for start of phase and placing them on those cards. That way you can do a glance at the table state immediately and say "Oh wait, there's X stone on the card, which means I'll have to do something at this point." One player I know went out of the way to color code his cards and use sharpie on the card to highlight Start and/or End Effects.

I'll also point to Spiff who has this webpage http://spiffworld.com/sotm/printable.cfm

if you scroll down you'll see he has "3D Tokens" you can print out to help remind players of a few effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
ruferto wrote:

Make some friends
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
ruferto wrote:

There are rules for solitaire play; you simply play 3-5 heroes by yourself. It works very well.

ruferto wrote:

Yes, I definitely agree that they could've made this a lot simpler by use of colors and icons. However, the tiles work well enough in my opinion, and their use forces you to read the cards in more detail, making sure you play the game correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delton P.
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
ruferto wrote:

There are rules for solitaire play; you simply play 3-5 heroes by yourself. It works very well.

It's not that difficult to play single-player. We have a monthly challenge in the 1 Player guild with over 25 players all playing the game solo and keeping track of the store. It's not that difficult after you get a few games in and know the flow of the game.

You can see the thread here: Sentinels of the Multiverse Monthly Challenge #1. We're on week 3 of 4, so looking at the thread you'll see lots of comments and discussion on how the plays have gone.

As for keeping track, I do the same as someone posted above, using colored glass beads (red, yellow, green, blue, clear) to keep track of status affects (I have First Ed of the game, so the EE might be easier to use; sorry, no experience with it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hunnicutt
United States
Arden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
msoul01 wrote:
Yokiboy wrote:
ruferto wrote:

It's not that difficult to play single-player. We have a monthly challenge in the 1 Player guild with over 25 players all playing the game solo and keeping track of the store. It's not that difficult after you get a few games in and know the flow of the game.

You can see the thread here: Sentinels of the Multiverse Monthly Challenge #1. We're on week 3 of 4, so looking at the thread you'll see lots of comments and discussion on how the plays have gone.

As for keeping track, I do the same as someone posted above, using colored glass beads (red, yellow, green, blue, clear) to keep track of status affects (I have First Ed of the game, so the EE might be easier to use; sorry, no experience with it).

Thank you for posting this. I had no idea the monthly challenge existed.

With Regard to the start/end of turn effects, I tend to layout my heroes, villain, and environment decks in one column (according to turn order); discards to the left, cards in play to the right. I place cards with start of turn effects at the beginning of their respective row and those with end of turn effects on the end; each in the order that they were played. This generally helps me keep track of things.
Admittedly, this can break down in the case that a card has both start of turn and end of turn effects. But for the most part it seems to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruferto
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Smile every day
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
ruferto wrote:
Quote:

Symbols would be better. Colours don't help the colourblind.

Sorry, you're right. Symbols, colours, ... The important is that this kind of effects should be easier to find when you look at a card.

Yokiboy wrote:
ruferto wrote:

Yes, but not! It's a 2-5 players game. It's true that you can play with 3-5 heroes but, IMO, this game is not designed for that. I mean, it has several housekeeping, you have to resolve all the effects, manage 3-5 decks and their hands is not easy, overall if you have to look for effects "at the end..." and "at the start...".

Don't get me wrong, I like this game. I think it's a great game. But I think it could be better designed as well.

msoul01 wrote:
Yokiboy wrote:
ruferto wrote:

Nice! It looks fun! Thank you for sharing this link

Mr_Hunnicutt wrote:
With Regard to the start/end of turn effects, I tend to layout my heroes, villain, and environment decks in one column (according to turn order); discards to the left, cards in play to the right. I place cards with start of turn effects at the beginning of their respective row and those with end of turn effects on the end; each in the order that they were played. This generally helps me keep track of things.
Admittedly, this can break down in the case that a card has both start of turn and end of turn effects. But for the most part it seems to work.

I make something similar. But I'd love to have an official way to do that. I'd love a board or playmat for one player, with different sections, tracks, ....

And, overall, I'd like to play a one vs one game, with heroes and villains with similar power. Seriously, everytime I play a game, I have a headache.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ruferto wrote:

Yes, but not! It's a 2-5 players game. It's true that you can play with 3-5 heroes but, IMO, this game is not designed for that. I mean, it has several housekeeping, you have to resolve all the effects, manage 3-5 decks and their hands is not easy, overall if you have to look for effects "at the end..." and "at the start...".

Don't get me wrong, I like this game. I think it's a great game. But I think it could be better designed as well.

The game is designed very well. It's not a game designed for playing with one hero. If you design that game, you break this one. As it is, it's designed to be played with 3-5 HEROES, not players. You can play with any number of players as long as you play 3-5 heroes. For most, that's one hero per player. For others, it's one player for all heroes. There are many others games that allow one "character" to be played by one player and be balanced.

I see no reason for >G to break this so you can have an experience outside the scope of the original design. You're welcome to edit all the cards in the game to create a solo hero experience and then post it in the variants forums. There might be interest. For me, this is a game about TEAMS of heroes fighting a villain in an environment. I won't be changing how I play solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruferto
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Smile every day
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
ruferto wrote:

The game is designed very well. It's not a game designed for playing with one hero. If you design that game, you break this one. As it is, it's designed to be played with 3-5 HEROES, not players. You can play with any number of players as long as you play 3-5 heroes. For most, that's one hero per player. For others, it's one player for all heroes. There are many others games that allow one "character" to be played by one player and be balanced.

I see no reason for >G to break this so you can have an experience outside the scope of the original design. You're welcome to edit all the cards in the game to create a solo hero experience and then post it in the variants forums. There might be interest. For me, this is a game about TEAMS of heroes fighting a villain in an environment. I won't be changing how I play solo.

That's what I wanted to mean. It's a game designed for playing with 3-5 heroes. But, there's a lot of people playing alone, writing variants and sharing information about the best way to play alone. I mean... I know how the game was designed for, but I'd love to see some heroes and villains (new versions or someones completely new) to play alone.

For example, I like Lord of the rings LCG. And I think it's a great game, but some missions are really difficult. FFG is publishing a new way to play as "Easy mode" and "nightmare mode". I think this is a great idea because they have a great game and they're getting more players adding a little improvement to the game. I'd like something similar for Sentinels of the Multiverse.

ninja According to bgg entry, it's a 1-5 players, but the back of the box (enhanced edition) says 2-5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Courtney Smith
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ruferto wrote:

According to bgg entry, it's a 1-5 players, but the back of the box (enhanced edition) says 2-5 players.

It is listed as 1-5 players because one player does not equal one hero. One player can play the game using 3-5 heroes, five people can play it using one hero each, or anywhere in between.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.